Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: CLBB Petition--attention moderators

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    4,130

    CLBB Petition--attention moderators

    Now comes the esteemed Escher, magnificicent in his bulletin board postings, venerably represented pro per.

    And pursuant to the rules and dignity of all present, humbly submits the following to the monitors of the CLBB:

    Whereas, The v-word, aka v@gina, is currently censored unjustly.

    Let the following facts be told to a candid world:

    The v-word is in common usage.
    The v-word is a medical term.
    The v-word is not derogatory.
    The v-word plays an important role in the lives of women (who make up the majority of the world and the super majority of this forum).
    There is not a good substitute for the v-word.
    The equivalent male word is not censored.

    Furthermore, it is a commonly held belief that censorship should be used lightly and sparingly, if at all.

    Therefore, I pray for the following relief, that the v-word be removed from the list of banned words, and restored to it's rightful place in the CLBB approved lexicon.

    We, therefore, the enlightened members of this fine community, appeal to the moderators of our virtual land, and declare our support for the freeing of our esteemed word. And, for the support of this appeal, with a firm reliance on divine protection, we pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honour.

    (sign below)
    Last edited by Escher; 04-13-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    4,130
    Escher
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    3,558
    Charley

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NashVegas, baby!
    Posts
    5,889
    Hear ye, hear ye. I now put the long-gone, never-lamented Escher on Ignore.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

    "If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye. I now put the long-gone, never-lamented Escher on Ignore.
    For THIS?

    Add my name to the petition. V@gina is NOT a bad word.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Heading WEST!!
    Posts
    15,491
    Isnt va-jay-jay an appropriate alternative?

    KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Add me to the list!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Posts
    6,182
    Frankly, I've had enough lately of men trying to make the big decisions about what can, and cannot, be said, or done about or with lady parts!

    Why would anyone polite want to use the verboten words here anyway? Please!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,482
    Actually, this all came about because I tried to use "the v-word" in a post yesterday and was surprised that it was censored. Interestingly, the post was about a funny bit the Daily Show did about a ridiculous amendment to the "personhood" bill in Oklahoma that would make any emission of sperm anywhere other than a woman's v@gina illegal. In the clip, the reporter interviews a conservative, pro-life legislator who finds the idea that lawmakers would legislate what a man can do with his body completely ridiculous. Ironic, huh?

    So. . . I'm guilty of trying to use the word in a post and having it censored.

    I wasn't trying to be impolite, but I did post it to point out the absurdity of the situation we find ourselves in today. It's like we're headed back to some bizarre dark ages.

    I agree with Escher that v@gina isn't a bad word. I disagree with the idea that it has no place in "polite" conversation.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    Frankly, I've had enough lately of men trying to make the big decisions about what can, and cannot, be said, or done about or with lady parts!

    Why would anyone polite want to use the verboten words here anyway? Please!
    I'm unclear on your stance: Do you think the CLBB should continue to censor the v-word or not?
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyncz View Post
    x
    I wasn't trying to be impolite, but I did post it to point out the absurdity of the situation we find ourselves in today. It's like we're headed back to some bizarre dark ages.

    I agree with Escher that v@gina isn't a bad word. I disagree with the idea that it has no place in "polite" conversation.
    I know, Robyn, I read that, and didn't intend to slang you. You didn't, in fact, use the word. And I didn't say that it had no place in polite conversation-- I said, it has no place in conversation here, because this is an online community about lifestyle that revolves around food. whatever we talk about, I think there's no big whoop about having to change a word or two in our posts, or rethink an idea so that it can be expressed without the use of words considered problematic here.

    I'm personally all for people thinking harder to express more clearly and reasonably, (self included!), before posting. When it comes down to it, I'm against any kind of censorship except self-censorship-- I'm a writer. But I'll put up with it here, and other places, for the sake of the company, and not count the loss of terms like the one we're discussing...

    Which, if the idiot lawmakers were smart and specific, wouldn't be used in that post you made at all-- because they would know that "successful" sperm gets deposited into the uterus. If it doesn't make it that far, not much happens, usually, right?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Escher View Post
    I'm unclear on your stance: Do you think the CLBB should continue to censor the v-word or not?
    I think it doesn't matter much one way or the other-- but that it is significant, and questionable, that a man started the petition to change it. By your signature there, I can see that you're not exactly a feminist. So why bother bringing it up?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,482
    Hedonist. . . leaving Escher and his motivations out of this for a moment.

    Does it bother you that ****** is censored but penis is not?

    It bothers me. What about this part of a woman's body is so offensive that we can't speak of it?

    That being said, I think this is the first time, in some many, many posts over the years, that I've ever tried to use this particular word. So, your point that it's not that big of a deal is well taken. But still. I guess I'm fired up about the Dark Ages 2.0. And I'm ready to take it on wherever I can.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyncz View Post
    Hedonist. . . leaving Escher and his motivations out of this for a moment.

    Does it bother you that ****** is censored but penis is not?
    Someplace else, sure, but not here. I don't really feel like it matters that much, here. Is it silly? Yes, utterly. But my feeling is that it's not deeply important that we be able to say anything and everything here, within the context of a cooking mag site. This place is like a small town, and small towns tend to tamp down on expression.

    On the internet, or conversation, generally? It would fire me up!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    3,558
    HH, you know this board isn't strictly about food. The censorship is inconsistent. We can say penis, but not vagin@? Give me a break.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    SThis place is like a small town, and small towns tend to tamp down on expression.
    No, the Southern Living site is small town. Garden Web is small town, except for their Hot Topics forum. This site is appealing because real life discussions are allowed, including politics and religion. It's just that ridiculous issue of censoring specific words that leaves most of us scratching our heads.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    HH, you know this board isn't strictly about food. The censorship is inconsistent. We can say penis, but not vagin@? Give me a break.
    True, Charley, but it is centered around food; that's the main draw. It is silly. And ALL censorship is inconsistent-- that's its hallmark.

    And you're talking to somewhere here that lived in Indiana, where the real V word that made people gasp in horror when I spoke it, was Vegetarian . Not to mention now, when I'm back living in Chicken Wing Central.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    I know, Robyn, I read that, and didn't intend to slang you. You didn't, in fact, use the word. And I didn't say that it had no place in polite conversation-- I said, it has no place in conversation here, because this is an online community about lifestyle that revolves around food. whatever we talk about, I think there's no big whoop about having to change a word or two in our posts, or rethink an idea so that it can be expressed without the use of words considered problematic here.

    I'm personally all for people thinking harder to express more clearly and reasonably, (self included!), before posting. When it comes down to it, I'm against any kind of censorship except self-censorship-- I'm a writer. But I'll put up with it here, and other places, for the sake of the company, and not count the loss of terms like the one we're discussing...

    Which, if the idiot lawmakers were smart and specific, wouldn't be used in that post you made at all-- because they would know that "successful" sperm gets deposited into the uterus. If it doesn't make it that far, not much happens, usually, right?

    Yet, Heavy Hedonist uses the words sperm & uterus--what does that have to do with this being a food forum, Hedonist? Why is v*gina offensive and banned, but penis or uterus not?

    There should not be such indiscriminate censorship on this forum, why can we use some words but not others? I vote for all body parts to be uncensored-what are we babies here? If the word v*gina or uterus or sperm or penis offends anyone, you are free not to read those posts.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Northern Michigan--waaay northern
    Posts
    2,388
    I am more bothered that the word ***** is censored. That's p r i c k. ESPECIALLY because this is board tangentially related to cooking, and I might want to explain how to make a pie.

    I think banned words is a silly thing, but understand I am not running things. V@gina being banned doesn't much bother me really, except that penis is allowed. I'm all for equality. Let's ban penis.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    I am more bothered that the word ***** is censored. That's p r i c k. ESPECIALLY because this is board tangentially related to cooking, and I might want to explain how to make a pie.
    Hilarious! But I've run up against that one, too. As Charley said, inconsistent.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    True, Charley, but it is centered around food; that's the main draw.
    Statistics say different. If you look at the numbers for food posts and "other" they're pretty darn (there's that censorship again) close.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kenmore NY, near Buffalo
    Posts
    6,182
    Let me state this clearly, again, since I don't think anyone's really reading through what I said, before responding to tiny parts of it:

    I am a writer. I'm against all censorship, including that against very nasty words. I'm all for people having to put up with the consequences of what they actually say.

    But this forum is a limited area, and I, personally, don't care about it here. You may care all you want, and fight for it, and that's fine.

    What I do care about is having someone with questionable motives, in this case, start the conversation for their own amusement. In light of recent political idiocies, I am less willing to give such a person the benefit of the doubt. And I don't appreciate people pretending they're defending free speech when in fact they are merely trying to offend or ignite controversy. Which has clearly worked.

    I'm not exactly petitioning against evening out the censorship issue. I sign petitions for things I think I can affect, in places where I feel it will matter.

    This is not to say that you all shouldn't take this issue seriously: that's your right.

    And I must say, with or without the V words, it's been a civil conversation-- which is so nice.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post

    What I do care about is having someone with questionable motives, in this case, start the conversation for their own amusement. In light of recent political idiocies, I am less willing to give such a person the benefit of the doubt. And I don't appreciate people pretending they're defending free speech when in fact they are merely trying to offend or ignite controversy. Which has clearly worked.
    I couldn't care less the motive for the post. I don't know who this person is. What I do care about is the ridiculous way the issue of censorship is dealt with on this board. So for me the thread is valid.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    northwestern VT
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    I am more bothered that the word ***** is censored. That's p r i c k. ESPECIALLY because this is board tangentially related to cooking, and I might want to explain how to make a pie.

    I think banned words is a silly thing, but understand I am not running things. V@gina being banned doesn't much bother me really, except that penis is allowed. I'm all for equality. Let's ban penis.
    I'm with you, leebee. Need a 'like' button.
    Connie

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Where the buffalo roam
    Posts
    3,045
    Quote Originally Posted by leebee View Post
    I am more bothered that the word ***** is censored. That's p r i c k. ESPECIALLY because this is board tangentially related to cooking, and I might want to explain how to make a pie.

    I think banned words is a silly thing, but understand I am not running things. V@gina being banned doesn't much bother me really, except that penis is allowed. I'm all for equality. Let's ban penis.
    Agree...there does need to be a "like" button. You expressed my feelings well.
    Sherri

    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

  25. #25
    One of my daughters is currently doing health ed at school and they use the words penis and vagin@ (as they should, that is what the anatomy is called). I think that if a class full of teenagers can be mature about it then surely we can be too. I find it puzzling why they would censor one of these words.

    Btw I also saw the episode of the Daily Show that Robyncz was talking about and I was stunned.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

    "You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

    "Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
    Posts
    2,535
    Julie

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Posts
    2,168
    missi
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,145
    Anne
    Anne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •