Community Message Boards

Thread: Favorite dipper for artichokes?

Favorite dipper for artichokes?

I've always been a purist - just clarified butter - but the farmers' market was so full of spring joy yesterday I started thinking about seasonal ingredients, including artichokes, and wondering if there are any bright spring flavors to match them, that I'm missing out on?
    Any favorites to share?

Oh, and the one exception is I do serve baby artichokes with lemon mayonnaise as an hors d'oeuvre. (I always think of lemon as a spring flavor even if it's a winter fruit!)
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I like them plain or with just a bit of butter (sometimes with a hint of garlic). DH like mayo - about a tsp per leaf - yuck - don't know why he even bothers with the artichoke. If I stuff them with canned smoked baby oysters I use the juice in the can for dipping.
    Anne

I like lemon butter or lemon mayo. I sometimes add garlic to either of those. But, now that you've got me thinking I'm wondering if the mint pea dip I made last year would work well. And be a lot healthier. I might have to try it.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

The mint pea dip sounds interesting, Robyn, and peas and artichokes are a natural combo.
    Much as I love garlic, I stopped putting in butter for artichokes, but now I'm wondering about a compound butter with minced shallot and lemon zest? (And as you know, I didn't get very far with this last night as, for the first time in my entire life, I cooked the darned thing to death. Only the heart was salvageable.)
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Funny that you ask.... I just had an artichoke at a restaurant this weekend, and the dipping sauce was great, and different from my usual.

It was a creamy parmesan sauce, made with some creme fraiche perhaps, some lemon zest and ?????

I was tempted to lick the plate.