Community Message Boards

Thread: VRB week of Friday the 13th!

Wink VRB week of Friday the 13th!

Sunday night is upon us and so far no posts except for spammers on last week's thread.

I hope Cheryl had a good race and didn't overdo her taper.
    Hopefully Heather just has a tweak and not a hairline fracture.
    Hopefully Vicci got home without too many issues and the contractors haven't ransacked her house in her absence.

Kind of a quiet weekend and week's end. Relaxing to have a relatively quiet week - especially after the previous weekend. Finished a class that met every other Monday evening and am certain I won't ever take an out of church class during Lent ever again.

The race went well yesterday. The course is actually pretty nice even if it is out and back on a two lane road. I can't complain about a half marathon with 1000 people running. The beginning and end of the race is fairly well shaded by tall trees and with the exception of some honey bees near the finish line there weren't any bugs to speak of. If there's a down side of the race there aren't a lot of spectators - but then there's not a lot of room to spectate. Interestingly, because the race is out and back somewhere around 3-4 miles (depending on your speed) the spectators become the people running the other direction.

The guy I was pacing was running in his 3rd or 4th half-marathon. We were shooting for a 2:00 marathon (that would have been about 12 or 13 minutes off his best). We were doing fairly well through 4 miles - definitely within our goal but in retrospect was probably about 15 seconds a mile too fast. We ended up paying for it later but still had a good race. Our finish time was just under 2:14.

The best part was we kind of turned the run into a teaching session: what you do mid-race (check your form, think about efficient running, etc.); how much you should fuel before a race (for us that would be at least 500 cal); and why it is important to run easy for ~1/2 mile before the race (so you can find the poorly laced shoes before the 4th-5th mile).

Really, a decent race and a lot of fun. Thankfully it wasn't too warm (like today).

Happy trails,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Visit my new ministry site: St. John's Episcopal church, Suffolk VA.

Hi everyone!

Les, sounds like a nice smaller race. Glad to hear it went well on the whole even if you didn't get the time you were hoping for.

This part made me smile. Guess you're going to the Olympics

"We were shooting for a 2:00 marathon".

But seriously, I love how you turned it into a teaching session. You have a lot of running wisdom to impart and I have certainly benefited over the years!

Good weekend here and decent training the past few days. Planning a run with a colleague this evening. It's quite mild and I'm also hoping to go for a good walk this afternoon with Mr. J, and some core. I didn't do core yesterday and missed it!

Looking forward to hearing how Cheryl, Heather, Vicci, Susan, and everyone else is doing.

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Your race sounds on Sunday as though it was a very interesting one, Les. A thousand runners, going out-and-back on the same road-- that must have been fun. And the weather cooperated, too! You deserved to enjoy a quieter weekend after the hectic one of last weekend.

Nat, so are you back in form? Running the same (or close to) distances? Nice to have been able to get out and introduce Mr. J to the enjoyment of being in the warm spring sunshine.

We returned from spend Easter with my family, last Tuesday, and the contractor was here. Alas, that's all we've seen of him since. I left him a message on Saturday but so far, nothing. Beyond frustrating! But DH and I are keeping busy doing "our work" on this project, and also fixing some of the rather shoddy work which our contractor has been doing lately. I really don't know where this is going...

Anyway, the neck pain is all but gone although I have yet to resume a regular running schedule. Spring is filled with weeding and trimming and yard cleanup and getting the garden ready-- so I am getting in the exercise but find it difficult to actually put on the trail runners and go out. Maybe tomorrow?!?

So, Heather, any new info on your leg?
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

heather- wondering too about your leg and the dr visit mon

les- i enjoyed reading about your half- mine is this coming sunday- and i have similar goals- dh thinks 2:10 (we did 2:15 in the fall) and this one has a mile up hill off road at the end- but if you like numbers there is something about coming in under 2 hrs but i got a cold and don't think that might be too doable.

vicci- so glad to hear your pain is gone!!!

so i've got an easy (run 2 mile SLOW) sat but will do that as part of a 5k and then the half sunday- seems like there might be rain- thats ok as long as its not a downpour and the temps seem perfect-
    Cheryl

Hi all
    Cheryl- I am so sorry to hear your cold has not cleared up yet. Hope you are enjoying your taper week and that Sunday is a great race for you.

Les- Glad to hear you had a chance to rest and that the race went well. It was great that you were along to help with running tips etc.

Vicky- I am so glad that you seem to be pain free minus the contractor. Enjoy working in the garden. It has been so nice we got our veggies in a few weeks ago, which I am grateful for since I wouldn't be much help now.

Nat- Glad to hear you and Mr J are doing well. He must be getting big and starting to really interact. Fun times.

Well the news on Monday was not good- I actually showed two stress fractures on my left shin. I guess one was not enough to slow me down. So I am still on crutches til I see the doc on Thursday, at which point we will discuss my options. I have at least gotten used to the crutches some and my triceps aren't killing me as much. The only upside right now is I will have killer arms
    Stay well everyone and enjoy this weather for me.
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by hrk View Post
    Well the news on Monday was not good- I actually showed two stress fractures on my left shin. I guess one was not enough to slow me down. So I am still on crutches til I see the doc on Thursday, at which point we will discuss my options. I have at least gotten used to the crutches some and my triceps aren't killing me as much. The only upside right now is I will have killer arms
    Sorry about the news and I hope there's nothing more complicated than a little rest. There may be some things you can do to while you are laid up to maintain your fitness - they have to do with something called deep-water pool running. It's not a heavy workout but it's something. And I love how you make lemonade when you are given lemons.

Cheryl - Sorry you've got a cold but a little more rest probably isn't a bad thing.
    Vicci - Great that you are feeling all better now - and I hope your full recovery continues along. Now I hope the contractors can get their act together.
    Nat - I am so anxious to see Mr. J in a little while. It sounds like you're back at it and getting along well. Thanks for the catch too - I can't believe I missed like that.

Pictures from this past weekend's race are: here. As you can see I was walking for a little bit.

It's been a quiet week - not too quiet all around - just no exercise. A 1:45 meeting last night (down from 2 hours) but still didn't get home until ~10:15. Today I had a meeting with about the start-up of a Poverty Alleviation Coalition in Suffolk and I got nominated for a board officer position (the only person nominated) and elected as Chairman. I'm not sure that I'm ready for this position but I'm game and I am a big proponent of the program. Tell me I'm not crazy.

Tomorrow... will be a bike ride.
    Happy trails,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry! That's why your shin problems weren't lessening no matter what you did-- and 2 fractures, at that (so, for how long were your running on one?!). Take it easy, allow the healing to happen. I can still remember how my triceps ached when I used crutches a few years ago (but, on the other hand, I expended so many calories getting around on the darn things that I didn't gain any of the weight that I expected to because I was just "sitting around all day").

Cheryl, I hope that the weather cooperates for you on both Saturday and Sunday. I apologize, but I can't remember-- will this be your first half? You sound as though it isn't, but in the back of my head I'm thinking...

I ran today! Only 2-3/4 miles, but it was very nice. Although I hurt badly now (lower back, mostly). In retrospect, perhaps I should have gone out before moving sheets of cement board (yes, it's as heavy as it sounds), and weeding... yeesh.

Heard from the contractor today-- he wants to come for "a full day" on Friday. Alas, it's my birthday and we are going to the lake house so I can hang out with friends and drink rum and forget about Big Al. So, maybe he will show up next week???? Always hopeful!
    Vicci

Really? Back-to-backs from me???

This morning I did the first full-program yoga session since the beginning of my neck problem. Plank, down-dog, cobra-- I didn't force but I also felt no pain or twinges. Yay!

Tomorrow is Vicci Day and I plan to take full advantage. I will do a full 4-mile run/ walk after my favorite breakfast of an asparagus & goat cheese omelet, then a big Greek chicken salad for lunch, then an afternoon of lazing around on the patio, sipping mojitos and reading until friends arrive and we go out to dinner (a Mediterranean restaurant). The weather is supposed to be gorgeous, and I am looking forward to a break in routine.

Oh, we talked with the contractor today and all is (almost) well. Hopefully. The man just has poor communication skills in addtion to being disorganized, but with luck we will be almost completed by the end of next week!

I'll see you all on the next thread--- hope everyone is doing well!
    Vicci

thank you everyone for your thoughts- leaving tomorrow for the obx- 5k sat and the half sunday- looks like it might be rainy sunday but that's ok- i am so excited.

heather- i talked to saloni and she remembers you and said you are such a wonderful family and sends her best wishes to you!!! she wants to know how your son is doing!
    Cheryl

Good luck, Cheryl! And safe travels, too. Look forward to the report! OBX sounds beautiful from what I've heard.

Heather, I'm so sorry about the two fractures but as Les says, your attitude rocks! Hang in there and I hope you feel all the healing thoughts I'm sending your way. How was today's appointment? Yes, Mr. J is getting bigger - and heavier! - each day. As a result I am also seeing changes in my upper body which is a good thing because I don't get all the time to work out the rest of my body as I would like!

Vicci, glad things are better with you and your contractor. Hope this is the turning point for you guys. Happy Vicci Day tomorrow! Sounds decadent. Enjoy!!!

Les, congrats on the nomination! Very cool. We're also really stoked about you seeing Mr. J (and us ).

Been fitting in some decent training with the time I have. Yesterday's run was fun but truncated as guests from Australia arrived as I was partway through (I was on the treadmill). But that's okay. It's very nice to have them over. I'll see what I can do today, besides the long walk I took around noon. More stellar weather

Take care, everyone!
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Happy Vicci Day tomorrow - it sounds like you have a great day planned and a lot of fun stuff going on. I hope the contractors come through and finish this weekend.
    Cheryl - I hope you have a safe trip to OBX and the pirate half goes well. I also hope the weather behaves for you.
    Nat - Glad you're getting runs in around Mr. J and visitors from Australia - That's a long way to come to visit.

Nice day today - next to last trip to the retreat center for our monthly session. We didn't do anything really theological - we painted a portion of one of the buildings that hasn't been painted since it was built. Went well and got more paint on the walls than I did on myself (pretty close though ).

I rode yesterday as planned - about 8 miles partly on dirt with rocks (riding my mountain bike) and a 10 mile ride on the streets around the neighborhood.

May lift tomorrow and I'll be running on Saturday.

Happy trails,
    Les