Community Message Boards

Thread: Dishwasher - top rack not getting clean

Dishwasher - top rack not getting clean

I have a Jenn-air dishwasher (bought Nov/05) and I just started to notice some of my glasses/mugs on my top rack are net getting clean. It doesn't appear to the same side each time either. Also, overall I don't think the dishwasher sounds the same as it used to at the beginning of the wash. It seems to take awhile for it to fill with water, but I can't be certain as I never really paid attention to it before. I can't see that anything is clogged at the bottom (DH will have take a closer look) but was wondering if anyone had this type of problem in the past and what was the fix?

I've heard of the water jets or openings along the arms or top of the washer where the water comes in getting clogged with residue, food particles or even a build up of mineral deposits or gunk. Especially since you say the DW seems to take longer to fill and sounds different, I would look to see if you can spot any of those little holes that are clogged -- the arm or jets for the top rack being first on the list. It might also be worth running a cycle with some lemi-shine or a DW cleaner to see if that would clean any deposits in the washer or lines where the water circulates but you may not be able to reach.

Thanks Beth. I looked inside with a flashlight and couldn't see any clogs or food particles - nothing - totally clean. If there is something, it's well hidden. I ran a clean cycle with vinegar the other day, but it didn't help. I'll try using a cleaner meant for the DW - have to go to the store today anyway. DH is out of town so he isn't of any help. Thanks for your suggestions though.

If you haven't been on Garden Web, you might post on their Home Forum's appliances section. Some of the folks there are pros who might be able to offer some additional assistance.

I occasionally use a product called (creatively ) Dishwasher Cleaner. You use it in an empty dishwasher, on the highest heat setting. I get crud in the dishwasher, and this loosens it so that I can wipe it out. It might work, and it's only a couple of $$.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I had a KA DW with similar problem. I replaced it with a Bosch that has a reachable rinse-able set of filters in the floor that I rinse clean weekly.
    The KA built up deposits ( looked like oatmeal) that would get stuck on the sides of the upper basket itself and behind the flat plastic "channel " that goes up the back wall of the dishwasher and then forward to the arms. also the upper sidewalls and back upper corners. use a flashlight to see.

I got quite adept at disassembling and rinsing clean all of it. everything snapped out and back in again, but it did not show how to do this in the manual. I watched the repair guy when I had the first pump replaced. I think I needed a screwdriver somewhere but nothing technical.
    there was no "filter" like the bosch has. instead of going out with the water, the small debris would collect especially in the places I mentioned. the water flowed freely thru the arms, no blockages. Behind the flat plastic piece up the back wall is where a large amount of crud lodged. as the crud built up, I would start getting more and more stuck on mostly upper rack dishes. I tried cleaning cycles, vinegar etc but the debris did not budge.
    I took the baskets out and carefully took it apart but the problem kept recurring. I'd had the pump replaced once already so I finally bought the Bosch.
    I don't know if it was a design flaw or another pump failure. I had to clean it about monthly and I got tired of it.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

If it's just sometimes and not the same side everytime, do you think maybe you've put something on the bottom rack that is preventing the spray from getting to the top? This happens to me if I stick a large colander or something on the bottom. Hope this helps!

We haven't been home much to use the DW lately, but I washed some things last night and there was something at the bottom rack that wasn't clean. Just ONE plate. The top rack was fine this time. It's not that there are food particles on the dish, but the bit of salad dressing seems to remain on the plate. Can't figure it out. I use the Finish Tabs (recommended by DW) and prefer them over any others.

Thanks for your input. I will be keeping an eye on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peweh View Post
    If it's just sometimes and not the same side everytime, do you think maybe you've put something on the bottom rack that is preventing the spray from getting to the top? This happens to me if I stick a large colander or something on the bottom. Hope this helps!
    I think this may have been the case, because now that I am watching it, it seems to be cleaning fine.