Community Message Boards

Thread: VRB's week of 20 April 2012

VRB's week of 20 April 2012

Happy new week, everyone!

Good luck to Cheryl on her races this weekend (and safe travels to and from the Outer Banks).

Enjoy your guests Nat,and it’s very good to hear from you. Baby-lifting upper-body exercise definitely counts, and it sounds as though you’re getting back into things with the running/ treadmill (when uninterrupted, of course). We’ve had great weather, too, but alas that will be changing for a couple of days. Enjoy your guests from "down under"!

Les I forgot to comment on your new board position—that should be a challenge, especially since it’s a startup, but I have no doubt that you will get things going and whipped into shape in no time. And congrats on getting more paint on the building than on yourself—I can never seem to accomplish that! 18 mile outdoor bike ride… yes, spring is here!

Drum roll-- yesterday, a 4 mile run! It seems to have been ages since I went for that long (and it was mostly running, too). Felt wonderful! And I realized that I was actually running the minute I turned *gulp* 54.

I also ate lots, drank lots, laughed a ton, and opened some fun gifts so it was a very enjoyable day all around. DH photo-documented the day (to my growing chagrin), and when I load the photos I’ll have to post one that shows the river—it was Caribbean blue and beautiful. All for me?!?!?

Hope that you’re all having a great weekend!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Vicci - Thanks for starting this week and another happy birthday wish to you. I'm glad you got a 4 mile run in on your birthday. At this point in time it can't be too bad to have photos taken. It's a little overstated to say 18 mile bike ride - that is a 10 and an 8 miler but they did fall within 24 hours. I'm not too worried about the position except that I am the only officer on the board right now. That is too much, even for me. I think there will be a lot of schmoozing to be done in the next couple months - certainly getting on some of the city bigwig's calendars.

I had a decent day yesterday - even got to the gym. Not too much lifting but there's a little ache in the upper lat/trap on my right side.

We ran this morning, it was a bit warm but not too bad. I think we ended up with just over 11 miles. We even had the opportunity to do 2 mile repeats. It felt good and nice to be able to swing a couple decent miles.

Off to cut the grass before it rains tonight. Happy trails,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

Visit my new ministry site: St. John's Episcopal church, Suffolk VA.

Cheryl- Hope the race goes great and you achieve the goals you want to meet. Have a safe trip back. Cant wait for the race report.

Les- Congrats on the bike rides and runs. Hope you were able to get the grass cut as you probably got a good amount of rain like we did.

Vicci- Happy Birthday. It sounds like it was a wonderful day and that you got in a great run. So glad to hear you are on the mend.

Nat- Glad you are getting back into the swing of things, getting used to schedules and such.

Well I saw the doc on Thursday and the news it not great. I have two very pronounced stress fractures and they are on the very front of my shin, which apparently is the worse place to have them. So he really did put some fear in me in telling me I have to behave myself and let them heal, he is just not sure how long that will take. So I am in a walking boot for when I have to carry things, using crutches still when I can as that is the best, and I will see him again in 4 weeks.
    So that is my prognosis right now. Onward.
    Happy Earth day, hope everyone has a great week.
    Heather

Well, Heather, you won't be doing much in the way of running with that boot on, will you? I'm so sorry that the fracture is worse than first thought. Give it time to heal completely, you can run again after that.

Hoping that Cheryl did well on her runs in the Outer Banks, and that the storms didn't affect you too much (traveling, especially)

Les, it sounds as though you are enjoying the less-packed weeks after Lent and Easter with runs and rides.
    I think it's time to assign some more officers to that Board, don't you??? DH is on the board of a local nonprofit and finds it frustrating when it seems as though he is the only one who can make decisions, has ideas to implement, etc. and everyone else appears to drag their feet since it's not their "real" job. Good luck!!!

Just returned from a 2 mile "fast walk" around the trails. I can't imagine where my mind was last weekend-- a 4 mile run after 6 weeks of mostly not running and just recently, some short, 2.5 mile, runs? I woke up the day after my birthday with more aches and pains that I have ever had (especially since the Birthday Run took place on asphalt, which I haven't run on since last October, and oh my! shin splints!!!). Talk about suddenly feeling aged!

Also some yoga today as well.

It sure is quiet around here...
    Vicci

Heather - Sorry about the development with your shin. Hopefully you can do something while you're recuperating. You might want to talk to your doc about deep water pool running (assuming you have access to a pool). We had a ton of rain down here - I'm definitely glad that I cut the grass when I did because it would have been nearly impossible if I hadn't cut it when I did.
    Vicci - Came back a little too quickly did you? At least you know that you can swing a little more than you imagined - even if you paid a little for it. I'm all for getting other officers on the board - there may be a little bit more lurking ahead that is more than I bargained for as a volunteer.

I was able to have a decent burial yesterday even with the drizzle. There was an old ex-Navy (Korean War) Torpedoman who lived in FL that wanted to be buried in Suffolk - I obliged. Set the day in a weird way though... but not bad.

Full day at work and a short 4 miler this afternoon. All around the neighborhood - felt good but put a little late dinner in me.

Happy trails,
    Les
    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6 (NIV)

Reflections on life and spirituality can be found at https://revles.wordpress.com

heather- wowzer! please take it easy and heal!!! lots of fast healing thoughts your way!

les- sounds like you are getting some nice runs in- tried to channel you during the off road piece of my race- lots of muck and puddles- fun until the puddle turned out to be way deep!

thank you everyone for your well wishes! it was the rainiest race i've ever run and my socks didn't dry til this am! the rain was a bit of a bother at the beginning and spoiled the after party but wasn't too bad during the run itself. people came out with umbrellas and cheered just not so much music.

i started good and felt so strong for all but the last 2 miles- even pulled sean along around the wright brothers memorial. my legs quit around mile 11 for anything uphill and the wouldn't listen to a thing i said! bad legs! however i still ran faster than in the fall! and came in 33 out of 117 in my age group. didn't make my turbo goal but blamed that on the rain (wondered sat night if it would even be canceled- weather forecast at that time was for thunderstorms) and the longer off road piece ( i knew it was there but thought it was closer to 1 mile instead of the 3 it was! very scenic but well i need to strengthen my legs) i also ran the 5k on sat as a very slow training prep run and that was fun- beautiful sunny day! now- on to the marathon this fall- my first and i'm so excited!

some friends came down to run with us- had to leave earlier sun instead of staying thru monday with us to get back to state college and snow! go figure!

i'll post some pix soon!
    Cheryl

a few pix

Cheryl

Les, nice work on the 4-miler yesterday. How has the weather been lately for early evening runs?

Enjoyed looking at your photos, Cheryl, and from the description of your race I would say that you had a great time (weather notwithstanding...), and you placed in the top third! Love the necklace-- what a great way to remember!

Got in almost 3 miles today (2.84, to be exact), but my legs felt like lead and I now have a persistent ache in my lower back. It probably would have been better had I run this morning, rather than after moving boxes down from the attic and doors up from the basement...

Hope that you're taking it easy and healing, Heather.

Where has everyone else gone to??? I know, I know-- it's spring and very busy!
    Vicci

Claiming an 8+ mile bike ride. More tomorrow since it's past midnight. Love the pix Cheryl.
    Be well,
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal View Post
    les- sounds like you are getting some nice runs in- tried to channel you during the off road piece of my race- lots of muck and puddles- fun until the puddle turned out to be way deep!
    My experience with puddles is the deep ones are distracting but as long as my feet are already wet plowing through is okay. The only issue with deep puddles in my book is not finding the bottom of the puddle where you expect it to be. Drying shoes... lightly crumpled newspapers are great. I will typically use 2 full sheets in each shoe and change the paper as soon as it gets really damp. I was actually able to run back to back days in shoes that got so wet the first day that I was pouring water out of them by putting paper in my shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylopal View Post
    i started good and felt so strong for all but the last 2 miles- even pulled sean along around the wright brothers memorial. my legs quit around mile 11 for anything uphill and the wouldn't listen to a thing i said! bad legs! however i still ran faster than in the fall! and came in 33 out of 117 in my age group. didn't make my turbo goal but blamed that on the rain (wondered sat night if it would even be canceled- weather forecast at that time was for thunderstorms) and the longer off road piece ( i knew it was there but thought it was closer to 1 mile instead of the 3 it was! very scenic but well i need to strengthen my legs) i also ran the 5k on sat as a very slow training prep run and that was fun- beautiful sunny day! now- on to the marathon this fall- my first and i'm so excited!
    It sounds like you had a decent race, even with the rain. I like the pictures of the race and your necklace - that is a nice memory.

Vicci - The weather has been pretty nice for runs late in the evening. We're still only topping out around 70 or less so that's not too bad. A far sight better than the 80s from a couple months ago. Take care of yourself and listen to your body during recovery.

Weird weather today... may impact workout this afternoon.
    Les

Decent ride yesterday, Les, how did today work out?

I went out for 2-miles, mostly-walking, this afternoon between raindrops. We plan to lay a ceramic tile floor in the new bathroom, and install kitchen cabinets/ install a tile backsplash over the next 3 days so I may not be in any condition to do more than crawl into bed...

Hope that you all have a good weekend, and I'll see you on the next thread.
    Vicci

Good ride yesterday... today, not so much. I had a good day but spent time trying to figure out how much damage has been done by the lawn service to the head stones, foot stones, and grave stones. That set me back a little and didn't get home until late. I'll take a pass today and look towards tomorrow.

I hope you aren't too whacked out by laying tiles. Tomorrow will be a day I'll do something - maybe cut wood. 10 miles of running on Saturday (why not?).

See you all tomorrow.
    Les

Cheryl- I love the pics, that necklace is a great keepsake. I am so glad the race went well. I was hoping the rain wouldn't be too bad but it sounds like you handled it well.

Vicci- Good for you for getting back into things but go slow, you don't want to hurt yourself. It is certainly no fun.

Les- Glad to hear the bike rides have been nice. 10 miles tomorrow sounds great, any races on the horizon.

So I ran yesterday.... in the pool. Yeap, my local pool offers a nighttime deep water running class. So I signed up and last night hit the pool. It felt so good to move and no pain in the leg when running or kicking, so I will be in the pool as much as I can find time. And while my legs are fine, my arms sure are getting a workout between using them on the crutches and in the pool.
    Off to find a good belt, as the one they let me borrow was terrible.
    Happy Friday
    Heather

homemade veggie broth simmering-

les- good run for you and bike ride too! dh knew about the newspaper- got those shoes dried- the socks didn't dry until wed- and they came out of the wash clean!! tg because they were pretty gray- loved the off road peice and the rain wasn't bad when running- just spoiled the post race party- i can see why you like it!

vicci- can't wait to see pix of your *completed* renovs!! you too i bet

heather- sending more quick healing thoughts!!! hows it going?

thanks for comments on my necklace- i got the pearly beads and small silver heart ones along with a paw print when indy passed away- sean got me the 13.1 bead for christmas- also says run and had a flower- the pirate is from the back of his half medal- he took it off as soon as we got back and said to wear it-

now training for a marathon- the obx nov 11!
    Cheryl

Continuing last week's thread...
    I know what you mean Heather about the float that some places have for folks to use for pool running. Glad you could get some workout in.
    Cheryl - That's why I love running in the rain and the mud. I even have white (gray) socks to run on the trail in the heavy rain. I hope you have a good summer of training - I'll be right there with you, my race will be the day before (like last year).

We ran 10 miles on Saturday - I even turned 3 mile repeats in the middle of the mileage. I was happy with the pace. I split wood on Friday for an upper body workout and did some digging this afternoon with my LW. She was trying to clear a patch to plant our blueberries but was having difficulty. So I helped with a little heavy work and found that there was a tree root that was about 2 inches in diameter.

Hopefully I get to run tomorrow or at least a bike ride.

Hope everyone's well.
    Les

Les, you gave me a good idea. A friend is the office manager of a small, local cemetery and she is getting a lot of complaints about how high the grass is even though they try to cut every week to 10 days. The problem is that the crew also is in charge of digging the graves, pouring the foundations for and setting the headstones, and other maintenance. I wonder if she has ever considered hiring a lawn service for those times (especially in the spring) when the grass seems to grow several inches overnight.
    I hope that the lawn service is easy to deal with and you get the necessary repairs made.
    Good run on Saturday! And what a nice husband you are to help LW plant those blueberry bushes. You must remember to cover them with netting when the fruits start to ripen because otherwise the birds WILL get to them before you can (learned from experience). Of course, that will not be necessary for another year or two.

Heather, what a fun, less impact, option to running! I never heard of deep water running, but it seems to be a perfect option while you heal.

Cheryl that November 11 marathon seems so very far away, yet...

After a rather difficult few days of manual labor, I finally felt good enough to get out for a run this morning. Only did 2 miles, but in 75 degrees and sun it felt just wonderful! Over the past weekend the bathroom floor was laid out and mortar-ed in (borrowed a wet saw from a friend, that was an experience), the whirlpool deck is ready to go, new kitchen cabinets installed, and the exhaust fan above the stove is in and ready for the electrician. Plus we "dog sat" my SIL's beagle for a couple of days, which was fun.

Hoping to get out at least a couple of more times this week!
    Vicci

The only issue with a lawn service is their inattention to the stones. That and many may not want to cut because there is a lot of hand work (can't do on a mower) but it's always a possibility. I've never had the opportunity to use a wet saw but it does look like fun. I hope you enjoy beagle-sitting for the next couple days. The nice thing about the blueberries is the larger of the two plants may actually produce a little this year.

I paid for the digging yesterday when I ran. My legs were tired and my ankles actually hurt a little. still pulled down 4 miles - besides the tired legs I felt pretty good. I'm glad I ran yesterday because it was hot and muggy today. So I took a 10 mile ride on my mountain bike and it felt good.

I hope tomorrow behaves a little and I'll try to spring a run tomorrow.

Peace,
    Les