Community Message Boards

Thread: Quick Question - BC Salmon Spread - Appreciate Quick Answer

Quick Question - BC Salmon Spread - Appreciate Quick Answer

I am in the process of making this recipe right now. When it says "prepared horseradish" does it mean the jarred plain horseradish or the jarred horseradish that is creamy? I have both in the house. I am guessing the plain one because it says "drained" but now I am second guessing myself.

TIA - Lynette

Smoked Salmon Spread

Copyright, 2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All Rights Reserved
    Show: Barefoot Contessa Episode: Summer Beach BBQ

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
    1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.
    If you can find it, I prefer Norwegian salmon; it's drier and less salty than other smoked salmon.

I'd use the plain, not the creamy, since it wants you to drain it.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I think it means the plain horseradish as opposed to the creamy horseradish "sauce". Thanks for the recipe-it sounds great

That's what I thought!

But now that I have confirmation from someone else, that is what I will do!

Thanks, LakeMartinGal and Soupandstew - you are dolls to reply so quickly!!

Lynette

Soupandstew - this is a really delicious recipe!

I just make two little changes to it when I make it - I use cream cheese and chives instead of regular cream cheese and then I omit the fresh dill. For just the small amount of fresh dill the recipe requires, it is not worth it to buy it.

My changes do change the taste "just a little" but then I don't have leftover fresh dill that usually goes bad in the cabinet because I forget it is there and don't use it in time.

Lynette

Does the recipe use cold smoked salmon or hot smoked? I'm guessing cold since it has you mince the salmon rather than flaking it.

Sounds like a great summer appetizer or even a tea sandwich spread for lunch.

Michelle

I have a local fish market that hot smokes the salmon. They smoke the salmon with different spices such as hot pepper, cumin, or lemon. I buy the lemon smoked salmon for this recipe. Oh my - it is absolutely delicious!

Lynette

Looks great.

Our family would probably opt for more horseradish