Community Message Boards

Thread: tricks to sleeping on a plane

tricks to sleeping on a plane

I leave for Enlgand in two and half weeks for a super quick mini-vacation. We leave Wednesday night and get back Sunday afternoon. I am a bit of a nervous flier, but I NEED to sleep because we'll arrive Thrusday morning and we have plenty to see and do!

Any tricks?

A glass of red wine and a Tylenol PM? A couple of benadryls?

Quote Originally Posted by katygirl View Post
    I leave for Enlgand in two and half weeks for a super quick mini-vacation. We leave Wednesday night and get back Sunday afternoon. I am a bit of a nervous flier, but I NEED to sleep because we'll arrive Thrusday morning and we have plenty to see and do!

Any tricks?

A glass of red wine and a Tylenol PM? A couple of benadryls?
    I can't sleep on planes, but DH swears by ear plugs. They cut out all of the extraneous noise.

I don;t know any tricks except a sleeping pill We went to England last year and even though I was tired, it was just too hard to get comfortable on those economy seats. If I had a first class seat that reclined, maybe. Plus all the noise,e tc.

If you really want to sleep, bring an eyeshade and ear plugs. and a good travel pillow and hopefully you can lean on your travel partner's shoulder or something.

We got in to England and dropped our bags and had breakfast, but by then we were so exhausted. We got into our rooms at 2 local time and took a 3 hour nap and were good to go for dinner and evening sightseeing!
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    If you really want to sleep, bring an eyeshade ......
    This.

I have these and love them. These aren't your grandmother's eyeshades - they are contoured so that they don't touch your eyelids or eyelashes. As you can see, they get 4 out of 5 stars with 434 user reviews.

Hi,

How exciting! Have fun

I'm not great at sleeping on flights but do try to get a couple of hours of downtime on transatlantic flights. I find what works best for me is music - either my iPod or one of the music channels on the flight. Music in the background helps block out outside noise, even if I keep the sound quite low. I don't always get much actual sleep but closing my eyes and relaxing still helps somewhat.

Then I do what BucknellAlum mentioned and take a nap once I get there. 2 hours of sleep soon after I check in and I'm good to go for the rest of the day.

Enjoy!
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Question from a person that has never flown. Is it a peaceful sleep or do you worry about (God forbid) something happening?

I've been to England many times, and I don't think I've ever been able to sleep on the flight. Too much going on with the noise and lights, and it seems like they're coming around serving food all the time. I've done pretty well without sleep though. On our last trip, we toured all over London even after being up all night. Our kids were zombies though! I usually try to at least relax on the flight, even if I can't sleep. That seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Question from a person that has never flown. Is it a peaceful sleep or do you worry about (God forbid) something happening?
    While I wouldn't calle my sleep on a plane rest full, I'm pretty sure I never hit REM, I defs don't worry about anything happening. The chances of something happening mid-flight are slim anyways.

I do several things:

1. I take a gravol the second I get to the airport.
    2. I pack my bag with ear plugs, contoured eye shades, a neck pillow and a thin blanket.
    3. I wear non-constricting clothes (usually leggings and a big sweater).
    4. I get settled on the plan as soon as I can, and get fully set up with the noise and light reducers.

I am one who does not nap well - if I fell asleep during the day I will NOT be able to sleep that night. My last trip overseas was quite short and I did EVERYTHING I could to sleep a bit on the plane, and then stay awake my entire full day to try to turn myself around as soon as I could. All of that helped a lot.
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

Sleep on a trans Atlantic flight? Hah! Never. One time I did from Birmingham, England to Frankfurt, Germany because I was so exhausted from delays, etc. If I really relax, I jerk awake because I feel like I'm having trouble breathing. So, I just plan to stay up until about 9:00 p.m. which is about 40 hours with all the time changes, and then I still don't sleep. When we get to DD's home, she makes sure she has plenty of things for us to do when we get there so we stay awake. We are going to DD's in Germany on June 7. We are taking our eldest grandson and some friends. We go to Paris on the 17th and home on the 21st. So excited for the DGS to travel with us and spend time with his cousins over there. I'm way OT! Sorry! I'm excited!

Avrilh- What is gravol? I've never heard of it. I have thought about taking a pm, but if I don't sleep, I'm afraid I will be so groggy and out of it.

Thank you all for answering. Sorry, still don't want to fly

Quite frankly, I can not sleep with 300 of my closest friends in the room...drastic measures would be required If I were taking a flight that far I would ask my doctor for a sleeping pill...or pushed, stay up for at least 30 hours before leaving and pass out that way.
    Karen

Count me in as someone who has never slept for .1s on a plane. Makes for some very long overseas journeys. I think the longest I have been without sleep is 30 hours.

I am flying to England at the end of May and am thankful we leave at 1:30 in the afternoon and arrive at 9:30 pm our time. Way better than overnight. It will be morning in London and I know I won't sleep until that night. Once I am somewhere with light and activity I can't sleep. I will take it easy and definitely try and at least rest. British telly-yipee!

I am afraid to take any kind of sleeping/motion sickness pill as I never do and so am very sensitive to them. I would rather arrive tired than feeling stoned!

So I don't have any tips I'm afraid. I take alot of reading material and earplugs-I hate the osounds people make-throat clearing etc. but that is another story.

Have fun. One always forgets about the flight part when remembering a fun trip!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Thanks for all the suggestions or stories. I'm totally going to order one of those face masks. IF it doesn't work it will make a good addition to my girls dress-up bin :-)

Your flight from Boston to London is pretty short, so there is less downtime on the flight, I assume - time when there is no food/beverage service going on and they dim the lights. That gives you a smaller window of opportunity to start with.

I absolutely can't function on no sleep, so I use an eyeshade, an inflatable neck pillow (because you can never recline far enough to keep your neck from jerking forward) and music. My "sleeping music" is that "Chant" CD from the 90s - the Benedictine Monks - remember? Very soothing, and the words are in Latin, so not too distracting. For me, a warm sweater and socks are essential, and a lap blanket. It helps a lot to have something to prop your feet on - your carry-on if that's sturdy enough. And DH doesn't sleep much on planes, so I always get the window seat.

Have fun - you can pack a lot in to a short time when you need to!

I just ordered 2 of those sleep masks for out flight to Rome in May. Thanks for posting!

While I've flown quite a bit I've never flown overseas but a colleague of mine uses eyeshades and takes a melatonin prior to hopping on the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    This.

I have these and love them. These aren't your grandmother's eyeshades - they are contoured so that they don't touch your eyelids or eyelashes. As you can see, they get 4 out of 5 stars with 434 user reviews.

I just ordered and this statement about them made me laugh out loud.

Breathe's extremely well, this sleep mask is slim-line and very stylish great value for it's price

I just ordered....

Good! I really like mine. Comfortable, no light leaks, and not hot. They come in handy if you are in the hospital - you can sleep better in the daytime and you can sleep night when the nurse comes in the room to check on you.

...and this statement about them made me laugh out loud.

Breathe's extremely well, this sleep mask is slim-line and very stylish great value for it's price
    Funny! They were probably trying to say something like "these eyeshades are more stylish than something that looks like an ordinary flat, cloth blindfold".

Without sleep I'm a danger to myself and others. Eye shades and ear plugs work for me. DH swears by noise canceling head phones. Talking to the flight attendant upon boarding and telling her you do not want dinner helps. You can always eat before boarding. If coffee is part of breakfast service I would definitely want that.
    If you're unfortunate to sit in the vicinity of a little kid talking all through the night in a loud voice nothing helps. That goes right through the best ear plugs.

Have a wonderful trip!
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I love to sleep on planes, but now that I think about it, I am a huge snorer. Short of handing out earrplugs to everyone around me, any tips?

That mask is stylish if you have to rush on the plane to perform in "Phantom of the Opera".
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

Thanks for asking the question, I'm flying to London in July so will be ordering the face mask for myself as well.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    I love to sleep on planes, but now that I think about it, I am a huge snorer. Short of handing out earrplugs to everyone around me, any tips?
    Use a chin strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    This.

I've had these on my mind for a while. I just ordered a pair for my trip. I'm hoping to use them on planes and in the hostels.

Score another for Gumbeaux! I just ordered the sleep mask…flying to Berlin in Sept. and have never had any luck with sleep masks.

I usually take two Sleepeze when boarded, then caffeine when I land. It works for me to figure out what time it will be when we land and plan sleep accordingly. If it's going to be night when we land, I try to stay awake. And if it's daytime when we land, caffeine tablets do the trick. (Tablets are usually 200 mg. so I break them in half)

I used to be a travel professional, so being drowsy when assisting a group of travelers was not an option.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Just an FYI from an old nurse. Please don't take anything with Tylenol with any alcohol. It can wreck your liver. I want you all to have good livers!! Have a happy safe trip whether you sleep or not!
    Suzanne