Community Message Boards

Thread: Uses for deli chicken?

Uses for deli chicken?

So I need some ideas on good uses for a deli chicken. or if there is a thread somewhere could you point me to it?

Do you use it in general chicken recipes but add the cooked chicken at the end? or do you have specific plans for an already cooked chicken that are fast and easy? TIA.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Do you mean deli cold-cuts or a rotisserie chicken?

I don't know if there is a thread but I have a lot of dishes that use cooked chicken of some kind so I don't mind leftovers.

I don't generally have rotisserie chicken - my store has whole rotisserie chicken and also roasted chicken breasts - lemon pepper, etc. I am generally too cheap given the cost of chicken on sale and the ease of cooking it.

I will occasionally buy a Costco rotisserie chicken because it's so cheap but I'm not a huge fan.

Are you looking for recipes that use cooked chicken? I don't generally use cooked chicken in recipes that call for uncooked chicken because the timing issues tend to dry it out.

rotisserie chicken... must be a million ways to use it. maybe if I search for "rotisserie" I'll have better luck. searching for "chicken" is way too general.

Valerie, I have quite a few recipes calling for cooked chicken. Would you mind narrowing your request down a little bit? Over 40 categories so far Some of them are Appt, dips, spreads, burgers, patties, casserole, creamed, loaf, meatballs, pasta, pizza, salad, seafood,soup.........

Be very happy to supply you with whatever you wish.

I usually cook a full chicken so I can use the leftover breasts to make something else (we prefer dark meat).

I have made:

chicken salad,

asian noodles,

mexican enchilada style (low carb, I omit the tortillas),

diced into a fritatta,

Add hot broth, veggies for a hearty chicken soup (dice up the breasts),

Eat warmed up with a side of veggies.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I use leftover roasted chicken for potpies and creamed chicken over noodles.

I use leftover rotisserie chicken in chicken salads and sandwiches.... I find a bit too much flavor/spices to use in the above.

Mostly main dish ideas. When you buy a rotisserie chicken, how do you plan to use it?

I'm not much of a carnivore but eat chicken if it's mixed with pasta, rice, and vegies. I take all the meat off when it's warm and discard the skin and bones.

so I have a container of cooked chicken and sometimes I don't know what to do with it. DH is getting tired of tostado type things. I have used it in soup, wraps, potpie, enchiladas. I keep thinking it should be good on pizza but haven't found a good one yet.

amarante, that's been my issue ...the texture. I haven't found cooked chicken to be a good sub in recipes that require cooking, like stir fries for example.

My go to when I have leftover chicken (I only eat white meat) is to add to couscous salad. In fact today I had TJ's whole wheat couscous, leftover chicken diced up, cucumber, grape tomatoes, diced feta, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil etc.

Another favorite is to add leftover chicken to black beans, corn, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, some cumin etc.

I eat LOTS of chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie226 View Post
    I keep thinking it should be good on pizza but haven't found a good one yet.
    I made this BBQ Chicken Pizza before and we really enjoyed it. I cooked it on the outdoor grill.

I made this Saturday with chicken that I roasted, but your chicken would be perfect:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

I have made these calzones several times, also very good:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roas...0000000682909/
    Carlin

I've tried several BBQ chicken pizza recipes. issue has been the barbecue sauce... too sweet. there are so many kinds(!!!) on the shelf and even reading ingredient lists hasn't worked, especially if they use several different sweetening agents.

I've tried several and tossed them because of being overly sweet. can anyone recommend a not-so-sweet sauce? I can't try everyone on the shelf. or a recipe for one?

Pesto is a good sauce for a chicken pizza.
    Carlin

both of those look interesting. I like taboulleh but it never seems like a "meal". adding some chicken might do the trick.

Do you do the artichioke one with the refrigerated pizzza dough or would it work using a pre made crust like a boboli?

I like pesto on pizza, usually with fresh tomatoes and parm. I have trouble limiting my servings with pesto!

Here's a great recipe for pizza using cooked chicken! (I added the chicken to my recipe -- the original didn't have it) Use your favorite pizza crust recipe, or use a Boboli-type crust. The results are excellent! Nutritional information included a crust.

Spinach-Feta Greek Pizza

12 oz chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
    2 1/2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 bunches fresh spinach, trimmed and washed
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    salt and fresh ground black pepper
    fresh grated nutmeg
    1 Pizza crust
    5 oz (about 1 1/4 cups) shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a pizza stone placed on the lowest rack.

2. In a large skillet, add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and heat over medium. Add onion and garlic - cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted. Season with crushed red pepper, salt and fresh ground black pepper - add nutmeg to taste. Set aside to cool.

3. Add the spinach mixture to the crust and evenly arrange it over the top. Scatter with mozzarella and feta cheeses. Slide the stone back in the oven, and bake until the cheese has melted and began to brown in spots. Remove and season with additional fresh ground black pepper - let cook slightly before serving.

Servings: 4

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 486 calories, 235 calories from fat, 26.6g total fat, 128.3mg cholesterol, 910.2mg sodium, 1129.6mg potassium, 17g carbohydrates, 3.9g fiber, 4.1g sugar, 45.7g protein, 13 points.

Source
    Author: Adapted from Rachael Ray
    Source: Joe's blog
    Web Page: http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2...ach-feta-greek
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

To be honest, with all the recipes I have, here is what I do with leftover chicken. Put mayo on one half of a French Hamburger Bun, cranberry sauce on the other half, and the chicken in the middle, s & p. Thats it. Pure heaven for me.

If you're looking for a pizza idea. . .besides the BBQ chicken pizza . . .you could try a Thai Chicken pizza with a peanut sauce. CL has a good recipe from quite a few years ago. You could also make a salad pizza. DH and I love this where you just bake the crust simply with cheese(no sauce), herbs and olive oil. Then top with a salad and some of your chicken and a light vinaigrette. Pesto pizza is also a favorite in our house. That would be nice with chicken, onions, and some roasted red peppers or whatever your imagination (and taste buds) desire. And if you want to tone down the sweetness of BBQ sauce on pizza, I sometimes mix it half and half with drained canned diced tomatoes or fresh plum tomatoes.

Aside from those pizza ideas, I use rotisserie chicken mostly in soups, chili, Mexican casseroles/enchiladas etc...., cassoulet, salads, or pot pie.

Karen

Here are the two recipes we like with leftover chicken.

The first one I found when I was trying to find a new use for leftover turkey at Thanksgiving. Since we don't have Turkey much other than around the holidays, I use chicken most of the time.

Turkey and Phyllo Pie
    Source: Better Homes & Gardens

2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp butter
    3 slightly beaten eggs
    1 - 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
    1 cup shredded mozzarella
    2/3 cup milk
    2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2 cups chopped cooked turkey
    4 sheets frozen phyllo dough
    3 Tbsp butter, melted

In a medium skillet cook leeks and garlic in 1 Tbsp butter until leeks are tender. In a large bowl combine the leek mixture, eggs, spinach, mozzarella, milk Parmesan, and pepper. Stir in turkey; set aside.
    Lightly brush 1 sheet of phyllo dough with some of the melted butter; fold in half crosswise. Gently press folded phyllo dough into a 9 inch pie plate; allow ends to hang over edge. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo dough and butter, staggering phyllo in pie plate so the bottom and sides are evenly covered.
    Spoon turkey filling into phyllo crust. Fold ends of the phyllo toward the center. Bake uncovered, in a 375 oven for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve. Makes 8 servings.

My DH and I also love this Quick Chicken and Chorizo Paella recipe, but the chorizo is too spicy for the kids so we don't eat it all that often.

I've always used the refrigerated dough for the calzones.
    Carlin

Not sure if this qualifies as main dish. I would use for lunch at work but it would make a nice summer main meal as well.

White Bean and Roasted Chicken Salad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
    Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

Salad:
    2 cups coarsely chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken
    1 cup chopped tomato
    1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    1/3 cup sliced fresh basil
    2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    Dressing:
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves, garlic minced

Directions:

To prepare salad, place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir gently to combine.

To prepare dressing, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle over salad, tossing gently to coat.

Notes:

Cannellini beans, or white kidney beans, are smaller than Great Northern beans and add just the right texture. Great for picnics or lazy-day suppers, this salad stirs together in a flash.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 369 (25% from fat); FAT 10.1g (sat 2g, mono 5.7g, poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 29.2g; CARB 41.5g; FIBER 9.6g; CHOL 45mg; IRON 4mg; SODIUM 342mg; CALC 117mg;

I've never tried this but had filed in my "rotisserie chicken" recipes.

Chicken Cassoulet Stew
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:
    Serving Size: 6

Summary:

This classic French stew is typically an all-day cooking process, but we use a few shortcuts to deliver a delicious meal in a fraction of the time.

Ingredients:

12 ounces sweet Italian sausage
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 cups diced onion
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 (store-bought) rotisserie-style chicken, chicken meat separated from skin and bones
    1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
    3 (15 1/2-oz.) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1 teaspoon dried sage
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 bay leaf

Directions:

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the sausage and cook until browned, stirring to break up the sausage as it cooks.

Add the onion, red bell pepper, and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often.

Add the chicken, tomatoes, beans, broth and seasonings to pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve ladled into bowls with crusty French bread, if desired.

Nutritional Information:

Calories 574, Total Fat 25.1 g, Saturated Fat 6.5 g, Cholesterol 108.4 mg, Sodium 2020.8 mg, Carbohydrate 48.1 g, Fiber 12.1 g, Protein 52.4 g, Sugar 8.6g Daily Values: Vitamin A 25%, Vitamin C 80%, Calcium 25%, Iron 30%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Chicken and Feta Tabbouleh

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Summary:

Fresh: Delicious when eaten right away, the flavors in this one-bowl meal stand up admirably when it's prepared ahead—making this a good take-to-work lunch. Serve with toasted pita wedges or flatbread.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup uncooked bulgur
    1 cup boiling water
    2 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
    1 cup chopped plum tomato
    1 cup chopped English cucumber
    3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1. Place bulgur in a medium bowl; cover with 1 cup boiling water. Let stand 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

2. Combine chicken and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add bulgur to chicken mixture; toss gently to combine.

Nutritional Information:

Calories: 296
    Fat: 9.5g (sat 3.4g,mono 4.1g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein: 28.2g
    Carbohydrate: 25.6g
    Fiber: 6.4g
    Cholesterol: 72mg
    Iron: 2.7mg
    Sodium: 344mg
    Calcium: 128mg

Apple and Chicken Hash

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 medium, tart cooking apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
    (about 3 cups)
    2 cups peeled, cubed baked potato (about 1 large)
    1 1/2 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions:

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high
    heat. Add onion and apples; sauté 7 minutes or until mixture begins to
    brown. Spoon into a large bowl. Add potato and next 5 ingredients
    (through paprika); toss well to combine.

Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium heat. Add apple
    mixture, and pat into an even layer in pan. Cook, without stirring, for
    2 minutes. Stir gently; cook an additional 2 minutes or until potato
    begins to brown. Serve immediately.

Notes:

Here's an excellent use for leftover baked potatoes. This classic
    autumn skillet supper is elevated with the addition of apples. Use
    firm-fleshed varieties, such as Goldrush, Granny Smith, or Winesap;
    they will soften as they cook without breaking up entirely.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 226 (22% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 1.1g, mono 3.2g, poly
    0.8g); PROTEIN 18.1g; CARB 26.3g; FIBER 2.9g; CHOL 45mg; IRON 1mg;
    SODIUM 483mg; CALC 24mg;

I like the White Bean salad posted above as well. Another regular use in my house is a CL recipe for roasted chicken chimichangas. A search here should turn up the recipe easily.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

We love this one. I usually make it when I have some rotisserie chicken left over and already cut up. Rather than add the seasoning before the baking step, I mix them in with the dressing ingredients. I serve over a big bed of mixed baby greens.

Barbecue Chicken and Grape Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Poultry Salads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    3/4 cup seedless green graped, halved
    3/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved
    2/3 cup coarsely chopped celery
    1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt;
    sprinkle over chicken.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the
    chicken, and saute 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Wrap handle
    of skillet in foil; bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until done. Remove from
    pan; refrigerate until chilled. Chop into bite-sized pieces.

Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, green grapes, and next 6 ingredients (green
    grapes through orange juice) in a large bowl. Add chopped chicken, and
    toss to coat. Sprinkle salad with walnuts.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups). 266 cal, 8.5g fat, 29.1g
    pro, 19.1g carb, 2g fiber, 66mg chol, 1.6mg iron, 676mg sod, 40mg calc.

Source:
    "Cooking Light-6/02"

I generally plan to eat the juiciest parts of the rotisserie chicken as is the first night.

After that I go to the moistest recipes that use cooked chicken. Sometimes that means modifying a recipe that calls for raw chicken and introducing the deli pieces when needed to warm through.

Don't toss the skin and bones. Make stock with an onion, carrot and celery stick. SO much better with the marrow from the bones. When I am sick, I will drink that broth (keep lots in freezer) and feel nourished.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    Chicken and Feta Tabbouleh

I make this recipe all the time. We love it. I sub WW couscous because we like that better.

I am a huge fan of having precooked chicken in my freezer for dinners. When boneless skinless breasts go on sale I stock up. My husband call it "chicken day." I poach 10 lbs or so of chicken, then either shred it or dice it and freeze it in two cup portions. It's great for throwing together quick dinners after school and the gym. I use it in the same way everyone else does. I throw it into soups, tacos, enchiladas, pasta dishes, pressed sandwiches, rice casseroles, etc. As long as it is added at the end of the cooking process the texture doesn't really suffer.

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Quote Originally Posted by Angelsfan View Post
    I make this recipe all the time. We love it. I sub WW couscous because we like that better.

I am a huge fan of having precooked chicken in my freezer for dinners. When boneless skinless breasts go on sale I stock up. My husband call it "chicken day." I poach 10 lbs or so of chicken, then either shred it or dice it and freeze it in two cup portions. It's great for throwing together quick dinners after school and the gym. I use it in the same way everyone else does. I throw it into soups, tacos, enchiladas, pasta dishes, pressed sandwiches, rice casseroles, etc. As long as it is added at the end of the cooking process the texture doesn't really suffer.

-Heather
    I also buy meat on sale. No one left at home so don't poach 10# at a time but do have a favorite poaching method: put water in my Corningware roasting pan which has its own self-rack and just simmer tile white meat cooked through. It is so tender my only problem is to stop mibbling on it because it is so tenfer and "healthy." The resulting chicken is top quality and does not need to be disguised

Thank you all for the many and varied ideas. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut of the "same old same old" and need some new ideas. Printer is at work and I will be trying many of these ideas soon. Thank you!

Was just looking at a chili recipe this morning that using deli chicken

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...n-Chili-238104