Community Message Boards

Thread: Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet-CL-May 2012

Strawberry-Buttermilk Sherbet-CL-May 2012

This is really good, The cocsistency after freezing is a little icier than I would like, but that may be the buttermilk I used. I would like to try it with blueberries next-Think it will work?

This sounds really good. I think that blueberries would work too, but will you change the liqueur to something else or stick with Chambord? You mentioned the mixture being a little icy - did you use low-fat buttermilk or regular?
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    This sounds really good. I think that blueberries would work too, but will you change the liqueur to something else or stick with Chambord? You mentioned the mixture being a little icy - did you use low-fat buttermilk or regular?
    I used low-fat, cause that is what I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrytx View Post
    I used low-fat, cause that is what I had.
    So I guess that is why it might have been a little icy? I will try it with full-fat buttermilk. It is funny because buttermilk used to be something that I would avoid but now I love it and use it quite a lot when baking.
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    This sounds really good. I think that blueberries would work too, but will you change the liqueur to something else or stick with Chambord?
    I have never tried a buttermilk base before, so thanks for the mention of this recipe. So simple to pull together and strawberries are on sale right now.

For the blueberry variation, I suggest using Kirsch or Creme de Cassis. Kirsch is what I use when making David Lebovitz's Blueberry Sauce to top either ice cream or cheesecake. I also make Blueberry Frozen Greek Yogurt using Kirsch.

I always omit the orange juice, too.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First