Community Message Boards

Thread: Need good vibes, my senior dog heading into surgery

Need good vibes, my senior dog heading into surgery

I cried as I gave him a huge kiss and thought what if this is the last time I see him Jake is my 15 year old lab that has a huge growth that is on and inside his eyelid not only causing great discomfort but is now bleeding to due to the rubbing. He has big health issues, on bp meds, and has kidney and liver problems. Vet and I had a lengthy discussion, and he said this is the best even if is only for a short time.

Praying for my best friend, my Jake buddy.

Laurie

Wishing for the best possible outcome!
    Post back when you get any results and information.
    It is so hard to see our animals hurting.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Sending you and Jake my best. Let us know how he does.

((( )))

Wew, Jake came thru great, vet even did a mild teeth cleaning.

He never ceases to amaze me, about a year and half ago I asked the question of knowing when is it time as he was going through some pretty serious medical issues and even a few months ago I thought it was time as we could not get his blood pressure down, he was on 3 different meds for it. Vet decided to back off and he is only on one and is staying around 200, not good, but good for him not being close to 300.

Laurie

That's wonderful that he came through so well. I hope he has many more years of love and fun with you.
    Chacun à son goût!

So glad he came through! You don't see many labs of his model around any more, and I'm so glad it isn't his time, yet! Give him a hug for me, and here's a few for you! ((((Laurie))))
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Just saw this. Wonderful news! Yay Jake!
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

So glad to hear he did well. Hope he has a lot more life in his years. Give him a hug for me.

Excellent news!!!

I'm so happy to hear that he came through the surgery and is ok. Big hugs to you and him.

Hugs to you and Jake! So glad he is doing well.

Kate

Thanks everyone, we had a bad night. Instead of coming home and resting he paced and whined for hours. I slept on the floor with him when he finally settled down. It was nagging me that this happened before. I looked at his paperwork and they gave him Tramadol to help with pain. I then remembered he had an adverse reaction to it before (extreme agitation is a bad and rare side effect this drug). Why am I always this lucky?

This morning he is doing much better and have a call in for a different pain med if needed.

Laurie

Woo hoo, Jake! Hang in there, good boy. Sending painfree and healing thoughts his way (and a better night's sleep for Laurielee). Sweety sends a couple of healing meowies, too.
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

I hope Jake is doing much better and you both will get a good sleep tonight.

I hope Jake has a speedy recovery. What would we do without our pets?

Glad to hear that Jake came through surgery well! I also hope that you both have a better night's sleep tonight. I hope his recovery goes well. (And a side note on Tramadol - I cannot sleep when I take that either; my mind just races and it provokes anxiety when it is wearing off. I use it as a last resort pain med.)

Oh poor Jake! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Jessnc, interesting about the Tramadol making your worse as it wheres off, THat was happening to Jake.

A side note for you as I was waiting to pick him up, there was an old couple with a huge wooly german shephard type dog there that was going over the bridge. I thought this dog looks so familair and did not know why. And then when you posted, I thought ah ha, He looks like your Harley? I still remember the picture of him in the wagon.

Jake is continuing to do better

I was not expecting this at all since he had a growth removed a few years ago on his other eye, but this one was much moire invasive. They had to go way down. Poor guy has to wear his cone because he ls rubbing his eye on the carpet

Cool

Glad to hear Jake is doing better.

I had a dog (Boo Boo) last year that Tramadol was working well with right up until the end.

Jake's a lucky boy to have someone who cares enough about him to keep track of things like that for him.

--Jeff
    SeniorPooch.com

Heres hoping for a speedy recovery for Jake. He's lucky to have such a good owner...

Jakes eye is healing quite nicely, and since we have been talking about cones on Doglady's post, here is a picture of one the Jake wears. He has used it fo years because of hotspots. SInce his neck is so thick I had to get an extra large, but then it was like 5 inches too long so I cut it to fit better. I tried cutting more off for his eye, but I did too much so you can see where I taped the piece back on,

Aw, what a sweetie! Give him a big, but careful, hug for me! Glad he's doing ok!!! That looks like a regular cone. I like the square-ish one on the website. I'll show them to DH and see what he thinks.
    Kay

Kay, Jake says a big thanks! check this cone out

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rary+dog+cones

again I think the problem would be for him with any cones is his thick head and short snout so I would probably have to get an x large and then it would proabaly be too long.

Laurie

My older boy has a long snout and a skinny neck! Just the opposite problem! Thanks for the link, though.
    Kay

My Jake wishes your Jake happy healing.