Community Message Boards

Thread: OK, another would you use this ASAP?

Smile OK, another would you use this ASAP?

I have a can of crushed tomatoes best by 3- 2011. The thing is that the the edges seem a little rough? It could be from being out in the garage with humidity and temperature changes, or other cans being stacked on top of it. The ends are flat and tight-no bulging or seepage. Sooo? Use or dump?

I'd use it as long as it did not smell/look funky when you opened it. If it smells/looks like canned tomatoes, then I'd say "go for it." I have only had to throw away 2 cans of tomatoes (or anything) that I can ever recall. One can of tomatoes was only half full when I opened it which was concerning to me. So even though, it looked ok, I ditched it. The other just smelled off. I think it was just so tinny smelling from being old. We actually tasted it and did not get sick, but it had such a tinny taste, it just was not worth ruining a good dish.

Karen

Yep, check the inside and then feel free to use it. Canned goods last so much longer than the date on them.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

If it explodes when you open, toss.
    If can and contents and no bulging looks ok--use it.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    If can and contents and no bulging looks ok--use it.
    You're too funny, Ana! The past due didn't bother me, but the somewhat rough edges on the top and bottom bothered me. Well, I made the sauce, mixed everything, ate it, and we're still here. Thanks for the help.

I thought I read on this BB that canned goods were good for five years. maybe not.

The greatest, no questions asked, was when we were cleaning out the FIL's house after MIL passed away. In a cupboard, there was a jar of home canned peaches dated 7-24-1974 my son's birthday. At that time he was 22- into the garbage they went.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    You're too funny, Ana! The past due didn't bother me, but the somewhat rough edges on the top and bottom bothered me. Well, I made the sauce, mixed everything, ate it, and we're still here. Thanks for the help.

I thought I read on this BB that canned goods were good for five years. maybe not.

The greatest, no questions asked, was when we were cleaning out the FIL's house after MIL passed away. In a cupboard, there was a jar of home canned peaches dated 7-24-1974 my son's birthday. At that time he was 22- into the garbage they went.
    Oh no, I am sure that jar was never intended to be used
    Grandparents are very sentimental like that. When we moved into this house, there was a big mirror sitting on the back bathroom floor. When my dgd would visit she used to kiss herself in the mirror. I never could bring myself to clean off her kisses.

In my experience, canned tomatoes are one of those things that are not good past their date, only because they taste terrible, though it depends on the can. Some tomato cans are lined now so it may not make a difference. But if not, you will likely find the tomatoes taste like the can.

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA

That is funny.

Hijack over...

Kate