Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking pizza on an outdoor grill

Cooking pizza on an outdoor grill

I saw in another thread that some of you cook pizza on an outdoor grill and my local stores are full of various pizza stones and such. I would appreciate your input on cooking technique and tools before I invest in new cooking toys. If it makes a difference, I would probably use either packaged fresh dough or a boboli type of crust rather than from-scratch dough. My climate is too warm and my kitchen too small to heat my oven to pizza temps. The flip side of that is our weather allows outdoor grilling almost all year long. I'm looking forward to your tips.

I've always done it directly on the grill, no extra stone. Oil the grates, put stretched dough down and cook until the bottom side is done. Remove, flip, top, put back on grill until dough is cooked through and toppings are done.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

We use a big green egg pizza stone. We do not have a big green egg grill. We just have a regular gas grill. We love having the stone, mostly because it keeps us from having problems with the dough falling through the grates and getting too charred on the bottom.

In the past, we made many a pizza without a stone, but we have several disasters along the way. I'm likely doing something wrong. We normally use TradeJoes premade dough. We roll it as thin as it will go...just before it tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I've always done it directly on the grill, no extra stone. Oil the grates, put stretched dough down and cook until the bottom side is done. Remove, flip, top, put back on grill until dough is cooked through and toppings are done.
    What she said.
    Alpogoalie: Any dog smart enough to use its paw to pin down a dog dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ann View Post
    What she said.
    Another ditto here. No stone.

If its a pre-assembled pizza (ie a deli pizza or something), I just put it right on the grill.

When I make my own, we grill the one side, flip, add toppings and then wait until its done. It usually happens quickly

My technique is similar to Robyn's, although i brush the dough with olive oil rather than oiling the grates. We love grilled pizza.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Hey guys. Terry and I are going to attempt this tonight. We are planning on using Joe's WW pizza dough recipe and making a BBQ chicken pizza recipe. Do you put the dough over the actual fire on the grill or should it be placed over indirect heat? About how long should we leave the dough on before flipping it over?

TIA!

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

Cooking pizza on the grill

We did this once, that it turned out perfectly and it was delicious. The second time we tried, the pizza crust ended up burning badly and it was a disaster. We haven't been brave enough to try again, although we probably will soon. We have a pizza peel now and wonder if that would make transferring pizza to grill a big easier now.

Grilled pizza is delicious, but the trick is the dough. As stated you need to put oil on the grate. You also need to make it a little thicker than what you're used to, and you have to grill it first. The reason why it needs to be a little thicker, is you have to check the grill marks on one side, then flip it when done and grill the other side, too. I do this a couple times to make sure it's fully cooked, there's nothing worse than raw dough. After this, you can put the topping on.