Community Message Boards

Thread: Immersion blender!

Smile Immersion blender!

These have come up in threads so many times over the years, and I was always the lone dissenter, saying I didn't like them and didn't own one. Especially odd for one who was making well over 50 pots of soup a year. Just didn't like the things.

The other day I came across one that I'd bought last fall, no doubt with some errant credit at Sur la Table, and had stuck it in a cabinet, forgotten.
    Well, I made a batch of cream of greens soup Sunday night and decided to finally take that sucker of a blender for a -literal- spin. Wow!! LOVE it!!
    I don't know if I've had a change of heart or if they've improved since I first used one (kinda thinking it's the latter) but I am now a total convert. It's fast, clean, quiet, and easy to wash.
    FWIW, this is the one I bought.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    These have come up in threads so many times over the years, and I was always the lone dissenter, saying I didn't like them and didn't own one. Especially odd for one who was making well over 50 pots of soup a year. Just didn't like the things.

The other day I came across one that I'd bought last fall, no doubt with some errant credit at Sur la Table, and had stuck it in a cabinet, forgotten.
    Well, I made a batch of cream of greens soup Sunday night and decided to finally take that sucker of a blender for a -literal- spin. Wow!! LOVE it!!
    I don't know if I've had a change of heart or if they've improved since I first used one (kinda thinking it's the latter) but I am now a total convert. It's fast, clean, quiet, and easy to wash.
    FWIW, this is the one I bought.
    Glad to hear that.
    My immersion blender has a wall-mount that I put on side of my cabinets at the sink. I see it constantly am reminded. I put it on a Mother's Day wish list. Just have to remember how to position it so I don't splash myself.

Glad to here you are a convert Canice. I really love not having to pour a big pot of soup into the blender and I really really love the easy clean up.
    Anne

I have a 400-watt Braun Turbo and use it frequently to puree fruits for frozen desserts.

Love the pretty colors of the Cuisinart! Mine is standard boring white.

Can't believe you of all people waited this long to discover an immersion blender.

I ditto the advantage of not having to pour or transfer ladlefuls of hot mixtures into a blender container to emulsify.

Takes up less storage space, too.

Enjoy.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

It's fast, clean, quiet, and easy to wash.
    Canice, you forgot that it's fun! Terry always makes fun of me when I use mine. He says I'm playing with my favorite toy.

The immersion blender is fantastic when making TF's Roasted Tomato Soup. My kitchen used to be a disaster after pureeing the soup in the regular blender. It is so much easier to make with the immersion blender.

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

I was given one at Christmas a couple of years ago and have yet to take it out of the box. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. I guess it's time to try it. I get tired of pulling out the blender.

I use mine a lot to make the pizza sauce, and other sauces... DH hates chunks of tomato, so it gets a real workout! And, when we were at a party a couple of weeks ago, the hostess used hers to make Hollandaise sauce for her home-grown asparagus!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Although I don't use my immersion blender often, I love it when I need it! I hate pulling out my nearly 44 year old blender. They're such a pain to clean. I just put it into the pot and it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by TieKitty View Post
    I was given one at Christmas a couple of years ago and have yet to take it out of the box. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. I guess it's time to try it. I get tired of pulling out the blender.
    Yup, mine just came out of the box some six months after purchase!
    I have a great blender that sits on the counter, so no hauling out for me, but I gotta say cleaning it is a little bit annoying. I honestly remember not liking the immersion blenders I used long ago, so I was OK dealing with the stand blender -- not any more!

SO glad I bought this thing. Also that I took it out of the box and used it .

Quote Originally Posted by Florence52 View Post
    I was always the lone dissenter, saying I didn't like them and didn't own one. Especially odd for one who was making well over 50 pots of soup a year. Just didn't like the things.
    Florence,
    Each of us knows what we need. I asked my son for one because. I don't use it daily and knew I wouldn't. It is not battery operated and my thumb hurts as I use it. I still use it and love Scotty for giving it to me

Quote Originally Posted by Florence52 View Post
    I was always the lone dissenter, saying I didn't like them and didn't own one. Especially odd for one who was making well over 50 pots of soup a year. Just didn't like the things.
    Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Florence,
    Each of us knows what we need. I asked my son for one because. I don't use it daily and knew I wouldn't. It is not battery operated and my thumb hurts as I use it. I still use it and love Scotty for giving it to me
    Reported. Margeslp, this spammer copied and pasted from Canice's original post.

-Heather
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

I have an old one (at least 10 years old). I think it's time for a new one! Costco had a Cuisnart one at Christmas (don't know if they make different models) -- I meant to get one on a later trip, but they were all gone. Loving all the colors!!!

Glad you love your new toy!

RebelYell, is TF's roasted tomato soup by Tyler Florence? I'm always on the hunt for a new tomato soup recipe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    RebelYell, is TF's roasted tomato soup by Tyler Florence? I'm always on the hunt for a new tomato soup recipe!!
    Yes, and it's the best tomato soup EVAH!
    I think the idea of puréeing the bay leaves is weird, so I don't do that (and you can cut back the olive oil) but other than that I always follow the recipe. Basil optional? I think not.
    Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

Yes, and it's the best tomato soup EVAH!
    I think the idea of puréeing the bay leaves is weird, so I don't do that (and you can cut back the olive oil) but other than that I always follow the recipe. Basil optional? I think not.
    Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html
    Tomato and basil are a marriage made in heaven. I also think not about optional.

I wouldn't puree a bay leaf. I do have a wonderful pork recipe where I crumble. For Xmas one year I did a "California Dreaming" theme and did fried bay leaves as an appetizer. Maybe that would be a garnish