Community Message Boards

Thread: Need some help on allergy research

Need some help on allergy research

Hi,

My friend's son has recently been tested for allergies and it's crazy (and sad) how little he can eat. I am trying to help by finding recipes that will work.

What I am looking for is pasta made from potato, besides gnocchi. Does it exist? This kid is allergic to milk, soy, wheat, berries...the list goes on and on.

Thanks,
    Shelley
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

We buy pasta made from rice (tinkyada brand was the best) and I've seen pasta made from corn (haven't tried that though).
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Since my daughter was diagnosed as Celiac last year we've been trying different non-wheat pastas. I haven't yet seen any potato (besides gnocchi), but we have found several different non-wheat pastas.

So far, my little one seems to prefer the quinoa pasta we tried (which is a blend of quinoa and corn flour) over the rice pastas.

Not exactly what you were looking for, but it might be another option. I've found Amazon has a big selection of gluten free items. A potato based, wheat free pasta would probably fall into that category so it might be worth a look.

Is the Mom willing to make her own pasta or is she looking for products on the shelf. I found recipe for pasta, but aren't rice noodles just as good?

Maybe we would do better with the boy's wish list and we know recipes or could help create alternatives. When we get requests it is usually what has been lost in diet is so hard to tolerate.

I am working with my gluten-free homebound neighbor in designing fun dishes for her (and practice for State Fair). She is an adult, of course, but she celebrates "gourmet" recipes I have brought over.

What about a potato pizza?
    Last edited by margeslp; 04-26-2012 at 04:11 AM.

There is an Italian company that makes a corn/potato pasta called BiAglut. I know that it is expensive, and not necessarily available everywhere, but it you google you might be able to find it in your area. Not sure if it will help though because of the corn.

A book recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/Allergy-Proof-...f=pd_sim_b_5#_
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Thanks, everyone. This is a great start for me.

The mom has no time to make her own pasta, although she loves to cook. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to get a wish list because the child is autistic. And I'm going to double check but I believe rice is no longer and option.

I will check out your ideas. Thanks so much!
    Shelley
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Someone mentioned that Amazon has many gluten free products. Another company I've had good luck with is Gluten Free Trading Company, http://www.gluten-free.net/. Bob's Red Mill,http://www.bobsredmill.com/, also has some products.

I also highly recommend Living Without magazine, http://www.livingwithout.com/. In addition to products and articles featuring foods and recipes, it has articles on various conditions (including autism) and research.

Kay

yes there's potato

Yes there is potato pasta
    Pastato™ Fortified Potato Pasta
    Its called Pastato. They also have several products
    You can check on
    maplegrovefoods.com
    or Amazon.com

This pasta is made from potato and rice flour. Wheat free, Gluten free, Kosher, cholesterol free, and contains no genetically modified ingredients.

The ingredients

Potato flour, rice flour, quinoa flour, ground flax, psyllium husks, frutooligosaccharides, (FOS, a prebiotic),

vitamin B-1, vitamin B-2, niacin, folic acid, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, iron, magnesium.