Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking Game of the Week #47 04/26/12

Aw, that's good. So glad she is feeling better. Maybe next week we can find something she likes. Thanks for playing, hope there will be a next week.

Tonight I made another recipe from Maria Robbins' One-Dish Vegetarian, the Kale and Potato Soup, a meatless version of the Portuguese caldo. The version below is my scaled-down version from my To-Try File, but I have to admit I eyeballed a lot of the measurements, and used more kale than the recipe calls for. To tell the truth, I had misgivings while it was cooking; I thought for a while that I'd wind up with just a bowl of kale and potatoes, but it all came together surprisingly well and made a hearty, tasty soup. I served it with a hard-boiled egg for protein and a few grape tomatoes for dynamic contrast (color, temperature, acidity, etc.). With a banana and walnuts for dessert, I had a filling and purr-making meal.

I think this soup would work well with mustard greens, too. And come to think of it, I'll have to try some more recipes from this cookbook. It's yielded a couple of pleasant surprises so far, not just in the recipes themselves but in the ideas for variations on the themes.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Kale and Potato Soup
    Servings: 1

2 cups kale, chopped
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 lg onion, coarsely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I minced it instead)
    1 dash crushed red pepper
    1 bay leaf (I took it out after adding the potatoes but before adding the kale)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/2 med potatoes, Yukon Gold or red, chopped in small cubes
    2 cups water
    1 dash black pepper

Heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until the onion just starts to take on some color. Add the salt, kale, potatoes, and water. (I added the potatoes first, let them brown a bit, and then removed the bay leaf and added the rest of the ingredients.) Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes, if desired, for a smoother texture. Add black pepper to taste, and serve.

Source
    Author: Maria Robbins
    Source: The One-Dish Vegetarian

I found another "O" recipe in my "to try" folder, so I added it to our menu for the week and we tried it tonight.

Oatmeal-Crusted Chicken Tenders

I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free rolled oats. These were a huge hit with the kids - everyone had seconds

This one's a definite keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by carmor View Post
    I found another "O" recipe in my "to try" folder, so I added it to our menu for the week and we tried it tonight.

I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free rolled oats. These were a huge hit with the kids - everyone had seconds

This one's a definite keeper.
    Oatmeal-crusted chicken tenders are delightfully crunchy, and are sure to be a hit with adults and children alike. Serve with commercial honey mustard or light ranch dressing for dipping.

Cooking Light SEPTEMBER 2006

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 4 ounces)
    .Ingredients
    1 cup regular oats
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound chicken breast tenders
    Cooking spray
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 450°.

Place oats in a food processor, and process for 20 seconds or until coarsely ground. Add cheese, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pulse to combine, and place in a shallow bowl.

Place each chicken breast tender between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Coat both sides of tenders with cooking spray; dredge tenders in oat mixture. Place tenders on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until browned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    Tonight I made another recipe from Maria Robbins' One-Dish Vegetarian, the Kale and Potato Soup, a meatless version of the Portuguese caldo. The version below is my scaled-down version from my To-Try File, but I have to admit I eyeballed a lot of the measurements, and used more kale than the recipe calls for. To tell the truth, I had misgivings while it was cooking; I thought for a while that I'd wind up with just a bowl of kale and potatoes, but it all came together surprisingly well and made a hearty, tasty soup. I served it with a hard-boiled egg for protein and a few grape tomatoes for dynamic contrast (color, temperature, acidity, etc.). With a banana and walnuts for dessert, I had a filling and purr-making meal.

I think this soup would work well with mustard greens, too. And come to think of it, I'll have to try some more recipes from this cookbook. It's yielded a couple of pleasant surprises so far, not just in the recipes themselves but in the ideas for variations on the themes.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Kale and Potato Soup
    Source
    Author: Maria Robbins
    Source: The One-Dish Vegetarian
    Hi Phoebe, it sure sounds like you are feeling better. This recipe sounds really good. I do like kale

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Oatmeal-crusted chicken tenders are delightfully crunchy, and are sure to be a hit with adults and children alike. Serve with commercial honey mustard or light ranch dressing for dipping.

Cooking Light SEPTEMBER 2006
    Hi Carmor, hope you don't mind me posting your recipe. I guess you forgot. No links if possible. I think some people don't bother to check them out and they might miss out on some really good stuff, like this one that your children really like.

This recipe sounds really good. I do like kale
    Funny you should mention it ... while I was making the soup, I kept thinking, "Wait till cookieee sees this: another kale recipe!"

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Funny you should mention it ... while I was making the soup, I kept thinking, "Wait till cookieee sees this: another kale recipe!"

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Every time we have bacon I think, Goody, more bacon fat to cook the kale in. Thanks for thinking of me.

OK GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow the new game starts. I need your input. Should I stick to the schedule (P) or concentrate on the 5th. We have a busy week. This Saturday, May 5, 2012, will be Cinco de Mayo celebration and also we have the running of the Kentucky Derby. Mmmmmm love those Mint Juleps.

So, what say you? What would you like to do?

OK GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow the new game starts. I need your input. Should I stick to the schedule (P) or concentrate on the 5th. We have a busy week. This Saturday, May 5, 2012, will be Cinco de Mayo celebration and also we have the running of the Kentucky Derby. Mmmmmm love those Mint Juleps.

I'd just as soon go on with the alphabet. But I'm up for whatever the crowd wants.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I'd just as soon go on with the alphabet. But I'm up for whatever the crowd wants.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    I'm going to ditto this!

Usually I do a big spread for Cinco de Mayo but am bypassing it this year, since I'm running a 5K that day. So we'll just be going out afterwards
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

We're going out for Cinco de Mayo, so I won't be cooking... at least until Monday! We're having a very social week this week!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Hi Kay, glad you will be having a great week. Enjoy your Cinco de Mayo dinner Of course, we will miss you.

I also wanted to let you know that the other day I made the Matzo crack that you recommended on Game #44. Thank you (I think) Oh it is sooooo good. I made 1/2 and 1/2. I wanted something to snack on at night that wasn't chocolate, but I'm not that crazy, I still wanted chocolate for earlier in the day.

Hi Kay, glad you will be having a great week. Enjoy your Cinco de Mayo dinner Of course, we will miss you.

I also wanted to let you know that the other day I made the Matzo crack that you recommended on Game #44. Thank you (I think) Oh it is sooooo good. I made 1/2 and 1/2. I wanted something to snack on at night that wasn't chocolate, but I'm not that crazy, I still wanted chocolate for earlier in the day.
    You're braver than I am, Cookieee -- I can't have that stuff around at all!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I know what you mean Kay

Carmor, remember this?

Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic-Shallot Butter

3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    2 pounds asparagus spears
    Cooking spray
    Preparation
    Combine shallots, butter, vinegar, thyme, salt, and rind, stirring well with a whisk.

Preheat oven to 450�.

Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil; bake at 450� for 5 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Pour butter mixture over asparagus, toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
    Yield

8 servings
    Nutritional Information

CALORIES 56(50% from fat); FAT 3.1g (sat 1.9g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 2.7g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 28mg; SODIUM 253mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 6.2g

Made this tonight. Sorry you didn't like it, but DH and I found it something different and enjoyed it very much. I am posting it here because I didn't want to pull the game way out of sinc. It is from Game #79 11/4/07. Sorry it took me so long to get to it. Thanks for posting it.

OK GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Hi cookieee...I may not be doing much cooking right now (I am really in a cooking slump) but if I were to get my act together for at least one cooking event, I might like the Cinco de Mayo or Kentucky Derby option <I'd lean to 5th Mayo>.

If you haven't already decided on the options for the next week, maybe keep the regular game and add the "special events" as one of the options...maybe can do the same for other special events that may fall during the regular game, and not using only the 5th game to acknowledge those events.

Just a thought...and if I can get out of my slump I'll try the game whatever it is...I'd say I need a new cookbook to help me, but I have several new ones that have yet to be touched...

I know what you mean Kay

Carmor, remember this?

Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic-Shallot Butter

3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    2 pounds asparagus spears
    Cooking spray
    Preparation
    Combine shallots, butter, vinegar, thyme, salt, and rind, stirring well with a whisk.

Preheat oven to 450�.

Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil; bake at 450� for 5 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Pour butter mixture over asparagus, toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
    Yield

8 servings
    Nutritional Information

CALORIES 56(50% from fat); FAT 3.1g (sat 1.9g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 2.7g; CHOLESTEROL 8mg; CALCIUM 28mg; SODIUM 253mg; FIBER 1.8g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 6.2g

Made this tonight. Sorry you didn't like it, but DH and I found it something different and enjoyed it very much. I am posting it here because I didn't want to pull the game way out of sinc. It is from Game #79 11/4/07. Sorry it took me so long to get to it. Thanks for posting it.
    I do remember that! We've been eating a lot more asparagus recently and I was thinking about giving it another try.