Community Message Boards

Thread: Public scolding

Public scolding

Reddit had a post regarding people you may have scolded in public... think: airplane, movie theater, checkout line... Ever publicly scolded someone else?

I know I have, but for some reason I can't recall any good ones at the moment...
    Last edited by Escher; 04-27-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

thought of one:

Walking from my car to a store; I see a gal drop her smoking cigarrette before she hops in the car.

Unluckily for her, I arrived just as she puts down her window. I pick up the still smoking butt, flick it in her car, and tell her the world is not her ashtray.

She curses something unintelligible. I look at her and smile, then walk away.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Escher View Post
    thought of one:

Walking from my car to a store; I see a gal drop her smoking cigarrette before she hops in the car.

Unluckily for her, I arrived just as she puts down her window. I pick up the still smoking butt, flick it in her car, and tell her the world is not her ashtray.

She curses something unintelligible. I look at her and smile, then walk away.
    I know of someone who did this whilst waiting at a red light. Good for both of you.

I'll have to think about a time I have called someone out on something in public. There have been a few times where my daughters have begged me not to make a scene - - and I didn't out of respect for them. I know I must have done it at least once when they were not around
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

I've snapped at people before after holding a door open for them, and they just go straight through without saying thank you. Especially drives me crazy at my kids daycare when I see people coming while juggling kids, backpacks etc. and I hold the door open for at least 30 seconds so they don't have to enter the code, but they still walk through and say nothing.

I have also made comments at people who blow their cigarette smoke in my face in public. Disgusting.

I did and it was very difficult for me to get up the courage in this situation.

DH & I were at the movies. It was a weekend and night movie, it was pretty full, but there were some empty seats. There was about 3 empty seats between us and another couple.

They kept talking quietly to each other and giggling. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but it went on and on and it was obvious they were more interested in having a private convo than watching the movie. It was probably at least 5-10 minutes that I quietly stewed and gave dirty glances but they either didn't notice or didn't care.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I don't remember my exact wording, but it was something to the effect of "I paid to watch this movie, not listen to a conversation...if you want to talk, there is a lobby outside". They did shut up, although they weren't happy and I was a bit concerned they were going to approach us after the movie, but they didn't.

I am a horrible coward when it comes to confrontation, especially with strangers. DH on the other hand has no problem with it and AngelaM's story reminded me of a movie incident.

We'd gone to see Mel Gibson's "Hamlet", and being Shakespeare of course the dialogue was a bit difficult to understand. We sat in the middle of the theatre, fairly near the screen and though the theatre was not especially crowded, there was a couple sitting directly behind us. As the movie started the man began describing each scene to his female companion. He was talking in a low voice and you could hear every word he said. DH tried giving him the "look" several times and then tried shushing to no avail, the man just continued to describe every scene. Finally in utter frustration, DH turned around and said angrily, "What--is she blind??" And the man said "Yes." And then DH, without hesitation said "I don't care if she is blind! Be quiet or sit somewhere else!"

They didn't move, but at least he whispered for the rest of the movie. Why on earth they didn't sit in the very back I'll never understand.

I'm not big on scolding someone in public, You never know who is carrying.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

My story is similar to Angela M's story. I had a class in a lecture hall last semester and for weeks there were two girls who chatted in the back row throughout the entire lecture. It drove everyone nuts, especially because sounds in the room echoed tremendously. One day my professor said, "Unless you are simultaneously translating, you need to be quiet." They didn't even hear him, they just kept on talking .

I was so fed up one day, I said to the students around me that I was going to say something. They practically begged me to, so, I walked from my seat in the front row, all the way up the stairs to the back row (the room could probably accommodate 200 people), approached the girls and said,"If you want to have a conversation, you have to leave the room because you are distracting every single person in here." They apologized and then they left. My classmates were so thankful that I said something, but I wondered why no one sitting closer to the girls told them to shut the heck up. And why bother coming to a class where attendance is not taken if you are going to talk the whole time anyway?

I do consider myself the "shoosh police" at school because if I cannot hear what my professors are saying because of people having a conversation, I am missing out on part of my education that I have worked so hard and pay so much money to have.

We decided as an adventure to take the train from Chicago to NYC. The majority of the trip was overnight. We did not spring for the sleeper car (big mistake).

There was a woman who insisted on being the welcome wagon for everyone who got on the train at each individual stop---loudly chatting them up for several minutes when they arrived. Her most common comment to everyone was a complaint about how they hadn't dimmed the lights enough for people to sleep. She was shooshed several times to no avail.

Exhausted (and able to sleep with some light), I finally stood up and said in my best kindergarten teacher voice, "We cannot control the lights, but we can control our voices. Please be quiet so others may sleep!" The rest of the car burst into a round of applause.

She did shut up, but spent the next 20 minutes climbing on empty seats trying to figure out how to adjust the lighting.

The first thing we did upon arrival at Penn station was change our return trip reservations from coach to a sleeper car.

Once in a supermarket I overheard a man berate his wife loudly for some idiotically minor thing and (remembering how my father would speak to my mother, and my ex-husband to me) I said, "No one deserves to be spoken to like that, for any reason." Don't know the result, if any, I just pivoted, and walked away.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Quote Originally Posted by shscharles View Post
    Once in a supermarket I overheard a man berate his wife loudly for some idiotically minor thing and (remembering how my father would speak to my mother, and my ex-husband to me) I said, "No one deserves to be spoken to like that, for any reason." Don't know the result, if any, I just pivoted, and walked away.
    Good for you!

I plan on publically chatising my DH if he disrespects me one more time in front of our exchange student. And I will make a scene and he will be sorry.

I"ve had to do this. Trust me, it will be difficult, but you won't be sorry. Be strong. Breathe.

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Quote Originally Posted by luv2cook View Post
    I plan on publically chatising my DH if he disrespects me one more time in front of our exchange student. And I will make a scene and he will be sorry.
    I know you're going through a lot of stress right now, but I think in the long run you would regret it. Neither of you ought to be airing your grievances in public - if there's an issue, it should be dealt with privately. Of course, that is MHO - feel free to tell me to stuff it if you wish .
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I took verbal abuse for years and addressed it privately. It was only when I responded immediately, calmly, in the public forum in which the angry words were hurled, that it made an impact.

Just my experience.

Oh, I have done it in private too. however, i think it's a bad example if i say nothing in front of the student. I feel like it's telling him that it's okay to talk that and it's not. I have stood up before to that in public w/my teeth clenched but he appears to be a slower learner!