Community Message Boards

Thread: Another Pinterest question

Hybrid View

Another Pinterest question

I have been picking up some followers lately on Pinterest. It seemed odd because the people do not "Pin" anything from my Boards, they just "Follow" me. When I look at their boards, they may have 50 of them, but usually only 1 or 2 pins in each. It kind of makes me suspicious but (and I'm laughing here) I don't know of what! I can understand when someone pins something I've pinned, and then decides to follow me because they've checked out the rest of my boards and maybe feel like we have similar interests. But this recent surge of followers makes me think there's some ulterior reason for it. What do you Pinterest users think? Are any of you experiencing the same thing?

I received an email some weeks ago telling me that "Daniels" is following me ( that's all, no other name, just Daniels). When I log in, my account says I have 1 follower, but when I click to see who it is, it tells me I have no followers.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question, but I personally wouldn't follow anyone I don't know. Then again, I don't use Pinterest that much, either, so I don't think anyone would want to follow me at this point.

As I posted in the other pintarest thread, I have posted a board and watched it slowly accumulate followers. Generally when I get the email from pintarest, I follow the link to the other person to see what kind of boards they have and although some people don't have much on their boards, I don't think there is anything nefarious going on.

There isn't anything that someone could possibly gain by following me unless they have an interest in the stuff I am posting.

I am just astounded that people have actually found my obscure board since I have told no one about it.

There is a difference between someone following you and someone following your board or boards. I have many more people following my board versus me although since I only have one board, it's moot for my followers.

There was a site that I explored which is going to let people monetarize their board popularity in much the same way people can get money from clicks on their blogs.

The "1 follower" is I think the default for yourself as I had 1 follower as soon as I set up the board so I think that is me.

One possible reason is to later follow up with spam. Yep, you can get Pinterest spam too. If they follow your boards, they can then add you to a collaborative/group board (which sort of forces you to follow a board) and/or they can leave @JulieM comments, thereby tagging you on certain things they want you to see - links, products, websites, etc. When I find myself following someone I know I did not intentionally follow, I go in and unfollow them to clear their clutter from my feed. Kind of annoying.

Also, when you first sign up for Pinterest, they ask you a few questions about your interests and then hook you up with people they think you might be interested in following. I went in and unfollowed all of those random people.

I really like Pinterest in many ways, but they need to work on some privacy settings and give us a little more control over our boards.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    One possible reason is to later follow up with spam. Yep, you can get Pinterest spam too. If they follow your boards, they can then add you to a collaborative/group board (which sort of forces you to follow a board) and/or they can leave @JulieM comments, thereby tagging you on certain things they want you to see - links, products, websites, etc.

I really like Pinterest in many ways, but they need to work on some privacy settings and give us a little more control over our boards.
    I've had this happen only once where I received a notification with a message from someone I didn't know about a product. I will check my list of who I'm following and delete the ones I don't know as you suggested.

I agree about their Privacy settings. A person shouldn't be able to send you a message unless you are following them.

I don't mind them following me, but I hate when the spammers "tag" me and it makes it look like I endorse their product.