Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Cinco de Mayo help!

Need Cinco de Mayo help!

Have 2 different places I need to bring Cinco de Mayo dishes for next weekend & I'm looking for quick, cheap but impressive recipes. Yeah I know it's a lot to ask!

Deb at Smitten Kitchen had great things to say about these carnitas.

I have made the Creamy Chicken Taquitos from Our Best Bites a few times and always to rave reviews!

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/04/...cken-taquitos/
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    I have made the Creamy Chicken Taquitos from Our Best Bites a few times and always to rave reviews!

These look really good and perfect for a party I am going to this weekend. But I can't seem to print it - when I hit the print link, I just get a message that I don't have permission to access.

Is anyone able to cut and paste the recipe to here?

Thanks
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    "Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese
    1/4 C green salsa
    1T fresh lime juice
    1/2 t cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1/2 t onion powder
    1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
    3 T chopped cilantro
    2 T sliced green onions
    2 C shredded cooked chicken (for extra yumminess, use grilled taco chicken!)
    1 C grated pepperjack cheese
    small corn tortillas (and actually, flour ones are really good as well)
    kosher salt
    cooking spray

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.

You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge.

Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. It helps to place them between damp paper towels. Usually 20-30 seconds will do it. If you find yours are cracking when you roll them or are coming unrolled right away, just try heating them longer and try the paper towel thing.

Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges.Then roll it up as tight as you can.

Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown."

Here you go...I think these look great too!

Sheila in MD

Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

1/3 C (3 oz) cream cheese
    1/4 C green salsa
    1T fresh lime juice
    1/2 t cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1/2 t onion powder
    1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
    3 T chopped cilantro
    2 T sliced green onions
    2 C shredded cooked chicken (for extra yumminess, use grilled taco chicken!)
    1 C grated pepperjack cheese

small corn tortillas (and actually, flour ones are really good as well)
    kosher salt
    cooking spray

Heat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it’s soft and easy to stir. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Stir to combine and then add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well.

You can prepare up to this step ahead of time. Just keep the mixture in the fridge.

Work with a few tortillas at a time and heat in the microwave until they are soft enough to roll without cracking. It helps to place them between damp paper towels. Usually 20-30 seconds will do it. If you find yours are cracking when you roll them or are coming unrolled right away, just try heating them longer and try the paper towel thing.

Place 2-3 T of chicken mixture on the lower third of a tortilla, keeping it about 1/2 inch from the edges. Then roll it up as tight as you can. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Lay all of the taquitos on the baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or an oil mister and sprinkle some kosher salt on top. Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the ends start to get golden brown.

Here's my fave recipe for a filling salsa (can be served as a salad):

BLACK BEAN & CORN SALSA By Bobbie Hinmanm, adapted by Mari

2 1 lb. cans salt-free tomatoes, chopped & drained

1 1lb. can black beans, rinsed & drained (2 C cooked beans)

1 C canned corn, drained, or frozen corn, thawed

1/4 c each finely chopped onion & celery

1 4-oz. can green chilies, mild or hot, chopped & drained

1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

2 tsp honey

1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed

Salt & pepper/pure chili powder to taste

chopped jalapenos to garnish, opt

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing well. Chill several hours or overnight to blend. Stir before serving, makes 12 1/3 cup servings.

Best with corn or tortilla chips and wide-cut veg dippers. I cut carrots way, way on the bias, as if for stir fry, but wider, and use wide chunks of red pepper instead of the usual strips.

** Mari's notes-- originally, this recipe used garlic powder, which I never use; but feel free to sub it for the fresh, the prescribed amount was 1/4 tsp.

I often add finely chopped zucchini and/or green pepper, if I have it, I toss in fresh cilantro or oregano, but it is great as is.

The real important thing is, I 've learned to always make a double batch, because otherwise it is gone before I get any!!! Leftovers (happened once) make a great pita/burrito filling.

Thank you Sheila and Leahamm!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Skinny Taste has a Cinco de Mayo Pinterest Board.

Black bean taquitos are cheaper than chicken. If you have access to a bbq where you're going they are easy to assemble using big round corn chips - eg Tostitos - at the last second then throw on the bbq to heat (low heat), adding some shredded cheese to melt, (and/or maybe some sour cream when they come off) and people can't seem to get enough of them hot off the barbie.

I make this black bean dip and use it for my taquitos, or for tortilla rollups, or as a dip with corn chips..

Another really good and cheap treat with corn chips is my favourite dip, Chipotle Dip from Epicurious subbing exrta sour cream or yogurt cheese for some of the mayo - can also add a handful of chopped fresh cilantro in or on top for decoration. Been making it for years and it's still very popular.
    Last edited by hAndyman; 04-30-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Cheers! Andy

Easy Chicken Burritos with Mojo
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

.Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time:-- Cook Time:5 minLevel:
    EasyServes:
    8 servings.Ingredients
    Mojo Sauce:
    4 garlic cloves
    2 serrano chilies, seeds removed
    1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves
    Juice 2 limes
    Juice 1 orange
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

8 large flour tortillas
    1 (3 to 4 pound) whole roasted chicken, shredded
    Yellow Rice, recipe follows
    Spicy Black Beans, recipe follows
    2 avocados chopped
    1 cup grated queso blanco or Monterey jack cheese
    Sour cream, for garnish
    Cilantro leaves, for garnish
    Lime wedges, for garnish
    Directions
    Make the Mojo Sauce: Put the garlic, chilies, cilantro, lime juice, orange juice, and olive oil into a blender and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

To make the burritos: Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds in a dry skillet or on the grill until pliable. Place some chicken down the center of a tortilla and top with rice and beans, avocado, grated cheese, and Mojo Sauce. Roll up the burrito and serve topped with a generous drizzle of sour cream; garnish with cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.

Yellow Rice:
    2 cups long-grain rice
    4 cups water
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 bay leaf
    Put all the ingredients into a heavy bottomed pot, stir well, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until the rice has absorbed the water, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard the garlic and bay leaf, fluff with a fork, and serve.

Yield: 8 servings

Spicy Black Beans:
    2 cups (about 1 pound) dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    Quick soak the beans: Put beans in a pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let soak for 1 hour. Drain the beans.

In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and bay leaf and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Taste the beans and season them with salt and pepper.

Source: Foodnetwork.com

Easy Chicken Burritos with Mojo
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
    8 servings.

Mojo Sauce:
    4 garlic cloves
    2 serrano chilies, seeds removed
    1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves
    Juice 2 limes
    Juice 1 orange
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

8 large flour tortillas
    1 (3 to 4 pound) whole roasted chicken, shredded
    Yellow Rice, recipe follows
    Spicy Black Beans, recipe follows
    2 avocados chopped
    1 cup grated queso blanco or Monterey jack cheese
    Sour cream, for garnish
    Cilantro leaves, for garnish
    Lime wedges, for garnish

Make the Mojo Sauce:
    Put the garlic, chilies, cilantro, lime juice, orange juice, and olive oil into a blender and process until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

To make the burritos:
    Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds in a dry skillet or on the grill until pliable. Place some chicken down the center of a tortilla and top with rice and beans, avocado, grated cheese, and Mojo Sauce. Roll up the burrito and serve topped with a generous drizzle of sour cream; garnish with cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.

Yellow Rice:
    2 cups long-grain rice
    4 cups water
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 bay leaf

Put all the ingredients into a heavy bottomed pot, stir well, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat until the rice has absorbed the water, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Discard the garlic and bay leaf, fluff with a fork, and serve.

Spicy Black Beans:
    2 cups (about 1 pound) dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 bay leaf

Quick soak the beans: Put beans in a pot and cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let soak for 1 hour. Drain the beans.

In the same pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and bay leaf and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Taste the beans and season them with salt and pepper.

Source: Foodnetwork.com

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post

Yumm! These were really good. I took them to a party last night, and they were a big hit. They did seem too big for an appetizer, so I cut them in half on an angle to serve. I served them with the rest of the jar of green salsa I had bought - Pace's garlic and lime salsa verde.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Yumm! These were really good. I took them to a party last night, and they were a big hit. They did seem too big for an appetizer, so I cut them in half on an angle to serve. I served them with the rest of the jar of green salsa I had bought - Pace's garlic and lime salsa verde.
    Yay, glad to hear that they went over well!! They are a favorite around here and I'm always happy to pass the recipe along

That salsa sounds pretty good - I gotta keep my eye out for it at the store!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/