Community Message Boards

Thread: Coffee Cake Recipes?

Coffee Cake Recipes?

Anyone have some really good ones? The IL's are coming, and I want to make one for one of our breakfasts. I think I would prefer one that has at least a bit of fruit or preserves in it somewhere. But I could be swayed toward cream cheese or chocolate too.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Do you care whether it is yeasted or would you prefer a quick bread/cake type?

I love Blueberry Boy Bait. I usually increase the blueberries--heaping measures both. And I never turn the cake out--just serve it in the pan!

Blueberry Boy Bait serves 12 (Cook's Country? Cook's Illustrated?)

Cake
    2 c plus 1 tsp flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    16 tbsp (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 c packed lt brown sugar
    1/2 c granulated sugar
    3 lg eggs
    1 c whole milk (used what I had)
    1/2 blueberries, if frozen, do not thaw

Topping
    1/2 blueberries, if frozen, do not thaw
    1/4 c granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cake--
    Oven rack to middle position. Heat to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13. Whisk 2 c flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. With mixer, beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just incorporated. Reduce speed to medium and beat in a third of the flour mixture until incorporated and then half of milk. Follow with another third flour, then rest of milk, finally add rest of flour. Toss blueberries with 1 tsp flour and then fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Topping--
    Scatter other 1/2 c blueberries on top of batter. Stir sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over all. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes, then turn out and place on serving platter (topping side up). Serve warm or at room temperature. (Cake can be stored at room temp in airtight container for up to 3 days).

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    Do you care whether it is yeasted or would you prefer a quick bread/cake type?
    No preference there- just delicious!
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

Oh my, erin, that sounds amazing, and pretty easy to throw together.

Here's a link at CL to a cream cheese filled coffee cake made with a layer of jam/jelly/curd/preserves (your choice) that is decadently good and can be adapted to suit to your likes. You can also add some fresh/frozen fruit to the cake for added goodness if you like.
    Cheers! Andy

this one is a favorite around here. I know you said fruit, but... I add a drop or two of maple flavoring to ramp up the flavor of the glaze. Also, I can;t remember who posted this.

Here ya go.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze!

OMG! This is the best coffee cake I've ever tasted!! The cake is so tender, with the lovely buttery cinnamon flavors! The maple glaze is the finishing touch that makes this so incredibly delicious! This one is a must bake!

¾ cups Granulated Sugar
    6 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
    1 whole Egg
    ¾ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
    1-½ cup Flour
    ¾ teaspoons Baking Powder
    ¾ teaspoons Baking Soda
    ¼ teaspoons Kosher Salt
    1 cup Sour Cream
    ⅓ cups Brown Sugar
    1 teaspoon Cinnamon

FOR THE GLAZE: ⅓ cups Pure Maple Syrup
    1 cup Powdered Sugar
    Preparation Instructions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×5″ loaf pan. Cream the sugar and butter together in a medium bowl, and then beat in the egg and vanilla.
    Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat into the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream just until combined.
    Whisk together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spread a fourth of the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with 1/4 of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat the layers 3 more times.
    Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. While the cake is cooling in the pan, make the glaze. Stir the maple syrup into the powdered sugar gradually until the glaze is thick and smooth. (You can add additional maple syrup if the glaze is too thick.)
    Remove the cake from the pan and let cool on a rack. Drizzle with the glaze while still warm, and then again once cooled completely.
    Last edited by vbak; 04-30-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Wow, so how many coffee cakes are acceptable over a visit with five breakfasts? All three of these posted so far sound mouth-watering and delicious!

I better be careful, in the past I've kind of been anti-coffee cake, DH might decide he likes them a lot!

Here's one I found at Pinterest. Looks good, too. It's from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen blog.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffeecake

Print This Recipe

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup (4 Tbs) Butter, softened
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour, DIVIDED
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
    3 oz cold cream cheese, cut into small cubes
    Topping:
    4 Tablespoons flour
    4 Tablespoons sugar
    2 Tablespoons cold butter

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine 1 cup of flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.

2. Toss blueberries with remaining 2 Tbs flour. Fold blueberries and cream cheese blocks into the batter and pour into a greased 8 inch baking pan.

3. Prepare topping: In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter and bake for about 40 – 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Notes:

I used frozen blueberries and did not thaw them before adding to the batter.

Recipe adapted from an old Taste of Home magazine

The cubes of cream cheese make this cake extra special. Give it a try.

My DH loves this Blueberry Coffeecake from Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ffeecake-15051

Another good recipe is Strawberry Ripple Tea Cake (Culinary Institute of America) in this thread. It's easy and versatile (apricot, raspberry, peach).

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ry+ripple+cake

This is one of my favorites from Eating Well:

Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake (Eating Well magazine, June 2008)

Oatmeal Crumb

6 tblspns cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
    1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Cake
    2 cups white whole-wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup nonfat buttermilk
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For Oatmeal Crumb: Combine butter, brown sugar, oats, flour, and spices in a food processor and process until crumbly. I go the old-fashioned route and use my hands mixing it by taking fistfulls until it's all crumbled together.

For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or oil an 8-inch square baking pan. Sift flour, spices, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until well blended, gradually whisk in buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring each time to thoroughly blend the ingredients together. Spread half the batter into the pan. Sprinkle with half the crumble mixture and spread the remaining batter on top, then top with the rest of the crumble mixture giving your coffee cake some good layers. Bake until browned and a toothpick or knife comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool for 10 mins, serve warm.

(I made mine the night before and might make more crumb mixture next time...I would also add more chopped walnuts)
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org