Community Message Boards

Thread: Shredded Red Beets?

Shredded Red Beets?

I plan to make the June 2012 EW's Grilled Halibut Salad with Beet-Carrot Slaw.

Has anyone shredded red beets, what size grater do you use? The photo looks almost julienne(sp) to me. Suggestions besides gloves?

Grilled Halibut Salad with Beet-Carrot Slaw

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/halibut_salad.html
    From EatingWell: May/June 2012
    The halibut doesn’t stick or fall apart in this salad recipe because you grill it on foil. A beet and carrot slaw with tarragon-lemon vinaigrette makes this meal a standout.

4 servings | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
    •1 lemon, sliced
    •1 1/4 pounds halibut or swordfish, skinned
    •3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    •6 sprigs fresh tarragon plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped, divided
    •5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    •1/4 cup lemon juice
    •1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
    •1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    •2 heads butterhead lettuce, torn
    •1 large beet, preferably golden or Chioggia, shredded
    •1 large carrot, shredded

Preparation
    1.Preheat grill to medium.
    2.Measure a piece of foil large enough to hold the fish and coat it with cooking spray. Place a layer of lemon slices on the foil and lay fish on the lemon slices. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and top with tarragon sprigs.
    3.Grill the fish on the foil (without turning) until it flakes easily, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on the thickness.
    4.Meanwhile, whisk oil, lemon juice, chopped tarragon, mustard, pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
    5.Toss lettuce with about 1/4 cup of the dressing in a large bowl; divide among 4 plates. Add beet and carrot to the bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Divide the fish and slaw among the plates (discard the tarragon sprigs and lemon slices). Drizzle with the remaining dressing.

Nutrition

Per serving : 339 Calories; 20 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 14 g Mono; 69 mg Cholesterol; 10 g Carbohydrates; 30 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 597 mg Sodium; 1296 mg Potassium

1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
    Last edited by SusanL; 04-30-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

That sounds really good and healthy. I need a large dose of healthy. Let us know how it comes out.

Yea, definitely looks julienned, not shredded, to me. I would do it by hand or use my v-slicer.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Refreshingly light and delicious. I ended up shredding the red beet after handcutting the carrot. My arm was tired but the meal was excellent. Again, light but good. DH couldn't believe he was eating raw red beet. We loved the dressing for the salad, will make that salad again. A repeater for us!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer