Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Ideas For Landscaping.

Need Ideas For Landscaping.

We are looking for woody, shrubs bushes, trees that don't grow tall. Maybe 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide...Is there such a thing? I don't know how to describe it...not real leafy branches that you can see between... Can anyone give me some ideas?
    Thank you.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Soil type? Sun/shade?
    wind? water??

We were very lucky to find a master gardener Assoc. and they are using our yard for a class on landscaping. You may see if there is an assoc. in your area and ask them the question. They will be more familiar with your native plants and shrubs.

Have fun!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I would go to 2 or 3 local nurseries (not Home Depot types) and ask what they suggest. You'll get plants that will do well in your area.

Many local nurseries push expensive exotics rather than plants that are well-suited to the local climate. If you can find a nursery that specializes in natives, those require very little care to do well in your area.
    Chacun à son goût!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Many local nurseries push expensive exotics rather than plants that are well-suited to the local climate. If you can find a nursery that specializes in natives, those require very little care to do well in your area.
    Ok, find a good local nursery who grows their own stock and knows what they are talking about...

Our local nurseries are awesome and if you have them plant it they guarantee the item for a year. I find the big box stores are the ones who stock stuff that doesn't necessarily belong in our area.

I find the big box stores are the ones who stock stuff that doesn't necessarily belong in our area.
    EXACTLY! that is what we found when shopping. We would look at the hardiness and it would state 32 degrees. Well, yeah, in a good year, like this last. But this past year was out of the ordinary.

I do know someone who is taking a horticulture course at Virginia Tech, he is overseeing the venue for DD's wedding. He took this course just so that he could landscape this property and I didn't even think if him, so THANKS! I will see what he has to say!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

If you have a cooperative extension service in your area they will be an excellent source for what will grow locally and how big it will get there. Shurbs in some places become trees in others and vs. Some of the Japanese maples are size limited and beautiful throughout the year. Some dogwoods also remain small and have brightly colored branches in winter. Korean lilacs can stay small but have rather dense foliage. Some rhodedendrons and azaleas can be small when mature but the bare branches are not the most interesting sight in wintere.
    Anne

Beautiful picture, thank you!