Community Message Boards

Thread: May Book Thread

Hybrid View

May Book Thread

Happy May! Let's all hope that more folks visit and post on this thread as Summer Reading Lists need to be compiled!

The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey

Livesey has taken the classic novel of Jane Eyre and reimagined it in a more contemporary setting. Jane becomes Gemma and the setting is Scotland and Iceland of the 1950’s and 60’s. Written and told in the same precise manner and voice as the original, this is a pleasing read for anyone who likes a sweeping romantic story of plucky heroines and dashing older men.

The story begins w/ Gemma at 10 and follows through her adventures into her next decade. The orphaned Gemma is plucky, honest and real. She leads a lonely life knowing all the while that great things are in store for her somewhere, sometime in the future. This was a very, very good read.

I’ve read Jane Eyre two or three times over the years and have always enjoyed it anew each time. It’s been decades since the last reading – but I still found myself constantly finding parallels between the two novels. So many items of business and plot points were so familiar – yet freshly reinvented. The time period here enables the story to retain a lovely, wonderful innocence due to the lack of technology of computers, cell phones and instant gratification.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

I read Natural Woman by Carole King. Her autobiography focusing more on her career than personal life. She does write about herself but I felt she was more guarded when talking about herself vs. career. She sure did leave her kids a lot.

Just finished The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. It's about survivors of in a lifeboat. The boat sinking happens 2 years after the Titanic. I really enjoyed it. It was a short book and I didn't know where it was going to go next.

Now that I finished those two books I have nothing up next. I've been using my library more (as opposed to my Kindle) and I have nothing to read! I'll be looking here for recommendations.
    Lori

My last two book have been 11/22/63 -By Stephen King, which I thought was AMAZING. So good, and you don't have to be a typical King fan to enjoy it. Also just finished up The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. Kept my interest, I liked it quite a bit but didn't love it. I am now reading the sequel to the Tea Rose, The Winter Rose. I also just downloaded on my Kindle Fifty Shades of Grey, just to see what all the hub-bub is about :-)

Quote Originally Posted by katygirl View Post
    My last two book have been 11/22/63 -By Stephen King, which I thought was AMAZING. )
    That book was so good. Oh, how I wish I had that book to look forward to. I highly recommend it.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Loremma View Post
    That book was so good. Oh, how I wish I had that book to look forward to. I highly recommend it.
    Me three! That is the best book i've read in YEARS!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

A couple of sleepless nights led to quickly finishing up -

A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer

Archer is a prolific British writer, but I can’t recall reading more than one or two of his previous works. This was a nice, somewhat light and engaging read about the lengths a wrongly imprisoned man will go to in order to seek revenge.

Marred by a couple unfortunate instances of lack of continuity and several issues of poor editing, it nonetheless kept me reading and enjoying the ride. I’ll probably check out more of his work for pool side reading this summer.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

My last two book have been 11/22/63 -By Stephen King, which I thought was AMAZING.
    I have 100 pages to go to finish this book, and I hate to see it end. I'm a HUGE fan of Stephen King. This isn't as "scary" as some of his others, but it was a real page turner for me.

FWIW, I'm working on "The Passion of Command" (McCoy) which was recommended to me to prepare for Army Leadership....
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

Currently reading: Mountains beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder about the work of Paul Farmer in Haiti. My husband does a fair amount of mission work down in Haiti and it is inspiring read although also depressing given the conditions there that have not really changed despite the overwhelming aid that has gone to the country.

Next up:
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
    by Laura Hillenbrand. She is the author of Seabiscuit and while I know nothing of the book it came highly recommended to me. I am trying to catch up on reading by getting books off of my library's available e-format, so not many new books are available to read.

Visit my blog about cooking and a new season of life at http://reconnecting-with-my-kitchen.blogspot.com/

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
    ~ Switchfoot

I also just downloaded on my Kindle Fifty Shades of Grey, just to see what all the hub-bub is about :-)
    I just skimmed through this book and I just don't get it on any level. I'm not opposed to erotica but this book is wrong on so many levels - poorly written for starters and then the actual fantasy.

I realize it must be appealing to women but I have never harbored sexual fantasies of being dominated and made a "sexual slave".

My DVR picked up Dr. Drew last night who had Erica Jong - authoress of Fear of Flying which was a much read female erotic book which captured the zeitgest in much the same way as this trilogy has. Have women's fantasies changed that much - from the zipless "f" to this?

And Dr. Drew (who I am not normally a fan of) made the interesting point that in essence it is the fantasy of a 12 year old in which the love of a virgin overcomes the pathology of a very sick individual. In his view, women should be running away from this kind of twisted individual instead of thinking they can change him - which he sees as a problem of many women in dysfunctional relationships.

I realize this is a bit of pop culture - a book that will be forgotten in a year or so but its popularity indicates that it is capturing some kind of shared mindset at the moment.

Unbroken - I really found the story super engaging, but I didn't really like her writing style. You can tell she's a journalist and not a novelist. She doesn't develop characters or weave the story in any way. Her style is just to abruptly present a series of facts and things that happened. It took me a long time to get used to. With that said, I coulnd't put it down!

The Dovekeepers - A huge thank you to who ever recommended that book here last month! I was anxious to read it b/c I've been to Masada. That made it really special for me. A fantastic read. Loved the characters and they way their stories all crossed.

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Oh, I've really loved all of his books!! So creative. Hope you enjoy!

I'm wrapping up Dissolution right now. It's set in the UK during the time of King Henry VIII and is a murder mystery centered around a monastery. It's actually really quite good, but murder mysteries aren't my thing so much (reading it b/c a GF gave it to me)

Anxious to find another good read as soon as I'm done! I'm in a bit of a non-fiction mood. Any good suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    I just skimmed through this book and I just don't get it on any level. I'm not opposed to erotica but this book is wrong on so many levels - poorly written for starters and then the actual fantasy.

I realize it must be appealing to women but I have never harbored sexual fantasies of being dominated and made a "sexual slave".

My DVR picked up Dr. Drew last night who had Erica Jong - authoress of Fear of Flying which was a much read female erotic book which captured the zeitgest in much the same way as this trilogy has. Have women's fantasies changed that much - from the zipless "f" to this?

And Dr. Drew (who I am not normally a fan of) made the interesting point that in essence it is the fantasy of a 12 year old in which the love of a virgin overcomes the pathology of a very sick individual. In his view, women should be running away from this kind of twisted individual instead of thinking they can change him - which he sees as a problem of many women in dysfunctional relationships.

I realize this is a bit of pop culture - a book that will be forgotten in a year or so but its popularity indicates that it is capturing some kind of shared mindset at the moment.
    I'm on book three.

I completely get your point. The books are really wrong on a lot of levels. While I realize that intellectually, I think, for me, it is just a guilty pleasure. I'm not planning my life around it. For what it's worth, I had no idea what the book was about, just heard it was a popular trilogy and was a "Twilight" for grownups. By the time I realized what it was really about, I was hooked enough in by the characters that I wanted to read more.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

I am reading "Pretend that Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson, author of The Bloggesse blog. I had never heard of Jenny before reading a review of her book on Goodreads. The review intrigued me and I did some searching and read this blogpost by her:

http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-t...-your-battles/

I was laughing out loud - something that I rarely do when reading. So I bought her book - and it has had my stomach hurting from laughing out loud.

But her writing style may not be for everybody - but I am definitely enjoying it.
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

I am reading Rules of Civility, or rather listening to it. Its really beautiful writing and I'm enjoying it a lot. Thanks to those who recommended it earlier.

In the DT segment, I just finished The Hunter by John Lescroat, which both DH and I enjoyed. It features undeveloped characters from his earlier novels, but still in the San Francisco setting.

I also read Charles Frazier's Nightwoods. I did finish it, more or less enjoyed it, but did not like it as much as I recall liking Cold Mountain. Not a strong recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by SDMomChef View Post
    I am reading "Pretend that Never Happened" by Jenny Lawson, author of The Bloggesse blog. I had never heard of Jenny before reading a review of her book on Goodreads. The review intrigued me and I did some searching and read this blogpost by her:

http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-t...-your-battles/

I was laughing out loud - something that I rarely do when reading. So I bought her book - and it has had my stomach hurting from laughing out loud.

But her writing style may not be for everybody - but I am definitely enjoying it.
    Hands down my favorite blog. I can't wait to read her book!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.