Community Message Boards

Thread: MOB Dress

MOB Dress

OK...I am not into what you would call fashion. I dress rather low key and buy most of what I wear when it goes on sale.

Honestly? Paying over $150 (or even over 125) for a dress, that I will never wear again, bugs me. I do want to be fashionable. I just hate paying so much to do it. I was hoping to wear an evening pantsuit (separates, if you will).. but tried those on over the weekend "Alex Evening" and was not impressed.

I wear a 16. I love the handkerchief hem look, something wispy... I don't want to look SO formal, but formal enough. I know at best guests will wear Sunday dresses, maybe maxi dresses.

Any ideas? I have checked the reviews on some of those places from Korea and online stores, but their reviews aren't so great....So I have checked Dillards, Macy's, JCPenneys, and other brick and mortar online stores...

I need help. Serious help.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I'm not sure what size city you live in, but consignment shops in upscale neighborhoods in large cities often have the sort of dress you are looking for. Even in our small rural town, my friend purchased a gorgeous MOB dress at our local thrift shop where she volunteers.

I know what you mean about price. Mine cost a bundle and I've worn the outfit perhaps twice since.

Last thought -- You might look at catalogs and their website -- particularly Drapers and Damon, which has clothes which look very nice on no-longer-young figures. The plus-size catalog (and online) houses of Roaman's and Woman Within also have party dresses. (Their size range goes down to 12, so something from one of these might work.)

Good luck!

Kay

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_B...__pageSize-all

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/e...ZvMX8PQhAvXyNg

The first two are from David's Bridal and the print one is Evan Picone at Macy's. All are under $100.

My coworker bought her MOB dress at Ross (see here for store locator http://www.rossstores.com/) for $30. I'd say try TJ Maxx too. Also, check and see if any of the bigger retailers have any Outlet Stores in your area - there is a Dillards Outlet here that everyone raves they've gotten good deals at.

THANK YOU! I ordered 5 dresses. One is already here. I will try them on and decide. Please pray that one of them works!
    And thank you again.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by jmarie View Post
    THANK YOU! I ordered 5 dresses. One is already here. I will try them on and decide. Please pray that one of them works!
    And thank you again.
    Good luck. Just curious, where did you order them from?

Good luck. Just curious, where did you order them from?
    Roaman's (2), Dillard's (2) and Von Maur (1)

One of the dresses from Dillards was delivered today. It looks OK.
    http://www.dillards.com/product/Jkar..._301_503106580
    I'll decide after I try on them all. this is one of those, where will I ever wear it, again, dresses.
    Last edited by jmarie; 05-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.

I like the one from Dillard's. And ya know, it's your daughter's wedding, and if you never wear it again, so what. You will have good memories. Enjoy yourself.

Is that Dillard's one all one piece? I'd be inclined to take it to a tailor and have them detach the bodice so you can wear it with dressy pants for holidays or other parties. That make it look like the kind of thing you could get a lot of use out of without wearing "the dress" again.

That's an idea Beth. It is all one piece and that thought had not occurred to me.

And you're right, it is my daughters only wedding. That is why I bit the bullet and ordered several. When I started looking, there weren't that many available in my size and a lot of the reviews I read, said go up one size.

Then when I started looking, my size was available after 7/24. But I kept checking and the two at Dillards, that were unavailable were suddenly available. I had read so many horror reviews from people who ordered from those sites where they send your dress by your size measurements, that I didn't even want to go there.

But apparently, things are looking better. And truly, as morbid as this sounds, I can always be buried in it, if I can't wear it anywhere else.

Jmarie, I love the dress from Dillards, you will look great it in and feel great too, because it is beautiful!

Perhaps, you can wear the dress when your son gets married. I know a lot of MOB's who do this. I was one of them. I paid a pretty penny for my MOB when one of my twins got married, and also wore it when the other twin got married. Worked for us!

I didn't even know the twins got married! Congratulations! One thing I could do is wear the dress for daughter and if it is possible, have the top cut away and wear it with some evening pants for son. Anything is a possibility!