Community Message Boards

Thread: Saag Paneer with Cool Whip????????

Saag Paneer with Cool Whip????????

I've been culling my recipes to try and came across this. Great spices and then in place of yogurt or paneer, it calls for 1 cup of Cool Whip.

And I saved it.

That is just wrong... not you, the recipe itself.

That's hilarious.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I do have a cookbook with a recipe for Velveeta cheese phudge (so it's spelled), but I think the Cool Whip saag paneer beats that one by a mile. Yow! I can't even wrap my brain around that.

OK, I've had cheese fudge. (A loooong time ago, as a kid, from a Swiss Colony store I think.) Not QUITE as awful as you might think. But still. Once was enough.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I love Saag Paneer, but... I think I'll take a pass on the Cool Whip version!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_2 View Post
    I love Saag Paneer, but... I think I'll take a pass on the Cool Whip version!
    I hope I just quickly saved that recipe without reading it thoroughly. Otherwise a major SENIOR MOMENT.
    Our family uses the term "cognitive dissonance" to describe an event that doesn't compute based on internal knowledge.
    This was a "cog"

Hahahahah! This made me laugh!

Yup---definitely cognitive dissonance (like when I once looked out the window and saw what looked like an orange cat being walked---my eyes told me it was a cat, but my brain said cats aren't walked on a leash). It doesn't make sense---someone sophisticated enough to develop a recipe for saag paneer wouldn't use Cool Whip...would they????
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

But, but doesn't it make you curious? What was it about this recipe that made someone want to publish it? THEY must have thought it tasted good.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    But, but doesn't it make you curious? What was it about this recipe that made someone want to publish it? THEY must have thought it tasted good.
    I think I will track it down just because inquiring minds want to know. I am more worried about how I would take precious file space on 'puter for such an absurd recipe. Not that I don't use Cool Whip for desserts.

Don' forget to let us know what you find. Is it something that has to go on the "puter"? Can't you just print it out and put in a folder?

Don' forget to let us know what you find. Is it something that has to go on the "puter"? Can't you just print it out and put in a folder?
    I don't get anywhere tracking it down. Cool whip is in place of cream. May you can:
    Saag Paneer
    Ingredients
    1 block of paneer, grated
    Blend to a paste, the following
    2 medium onions
    1" ginger piece
    4 flakes garlic
    2 green chillies

Powder together, the following
    2" cinnamon stick
    2-3 cardammoms
    2-3 cloves
    1 tbsp poppy seeds
    2 tbsp cashewnuts(or almonds)

2 tomatoes pureed
    2 tsp red-chilli pwd
    A pinch of turmeric
    2 tsp coriander pwd
    1 tsp cumin pwd
    1 cup of CoolWhip
    Salt to taste
    2 tbsp cooking oil

Method
    Heat a little oil and fry the onion paste till it begins
    to brown.
    Mix in the poppy-cashew powder and the other dry powders.
    Fry for a minute and then add the pureed tomatoes.
    Add some water and bring to a boil.
    Add salt to taste.
    Add the Coopwhip and nix well.
    Add the grated paneer,heat through and eat it hot
    with chapathi/naan.

Quote Originally Posted by EllenL View Post
    Yup---definitely cognitive dissonance (like when I once looked out the window and saw what looked like an orange cat being walked---my eyes told me it was a cat, but my brain said cats aren't walked on a leash). It doesn't make sense---someone sophisticated enough to develop a recipe for saag paneer wouldn't use Cool Whip...would they????
    I've seen people walk cats on a leash, so its possible that you really were seeing it!!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

This recipe is confusing me. I thought Saag Paneer was made with spinach. At least the one I made was. Made my own Paneer. I figured the Cool Whip was taking the place of butter in the spinach.

This recipe is confusing me. I thought Saag Paneer was made with spinach. At least the one I made was. Made my own Paneer. I figured the Cool Whip was taking the place of butter in the spinach.
    You're right - was so shocked by Cool Whip didn't see spinach was missing. DUH

Yeah, saag should have spinach. That reads more like a Paneer Makhani recipe. Well, except for the Cool Whip

But maybe they figured you use Cool Whip instead of whipping cream (i.e., heavy cream) so why not

ETA: Still no idea why they called it "saag" but I think it's like what I said, someone thought Cool Whip is "cream." I tried to find the recipe too and didn't but then was reading the comments on a couple sites with recipes for Makhani Paneer and sure enough, lots and lots of people asking what "cream" was, including several asking if they could substitute Cool Whip or Sour Cream Here's one, the comment is near the bottom (and there were several others, including one of those Ask sites where someone actually told them to use whipped topping )
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Could it possibly be a translation error from someone who is not a native English speaker? If you look up heavy cream (in an Indian/English dictionary) maybe one of the English options is whipped topping, coolwhip?
    Anne

My husband (a native English speaker) persists in using "Coolwhip" as his generic term for "whipped cream." It is a major pet peeve!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White