Community Message Boards

Thread: Needed: Mexican Dips and Desserts for Cinco de Mayo

Needed: Mexican Dips and Desserts for Cinco de Mayo

Hi All,

We are going to all bring in dishes Sat to work for Cindo de Mayo. I want to make something that doesn't cost a lot since I'll be making a fairly large batch and possible both dip and dessert.

Any ideas for either would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably going to go vegetarian since many people I work with are veggie but not vegan so i can still use cheese, etc....

Thanks so much!

M
    Laugh when you can!!!

Corn Salsa

I got this from a co-worker (can't remember who) about 10 years ago. It is a salsa/dip we use often and make our own variations of.

3 large ears fresh corn
    1 large tomato, finely chopped
    1 (7oz) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
    2 green onions, chopped
    3 T minced fresh cilantro
    2 T fresh lime juice
    1 T white wine vinegar
    1/2 t salt
    1/4 t pepper
    1/4 t ground cumin
    1 Avocado, chopped (optional)

Cut corn from cob and combine all ingredients. Cover and chill at least two hours. (If overnight, cut and add Avocado prior to serving). Serve with tortilla chips.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

How about tres leches cake for dessert? That is always a hit in our office. We often pick up at a bakery, but here is the general idea, this recipe from Pioneer Woman's blog.

Also, many folks in my office rather crazy about queso, a hot dip made with, I believe, Rotel canned tomatoes/peppers and Velveeta. It's kept hot in a small dip crockpot and served with chips or fritos scoops.

This is fussy but the result looks and tastes great:
    Southwest Appetizer Cheesecake

Tortilla chips
    2 T. margarine, melted
    1 c. cottage cheese
    3 pkg. 8 oz. each cream cheese, softened
    4 eggs
    2 1/2 c. (10 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar
    1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, well drained
    1 8 oz. container sour cream
    1 8 oz. container jalapeno-cheddar dip
    1 c. chopped tomatoes
    1/2 c. chopped green onions
    1/4 c. sliced, pitted ripe olives

Place tortilla chips in a large plastic food bag; seal and finely crush with mallet or rolling pin to measure 2/3 cup.

Preheat oven to 325* F. Combine crushed chips and margarine. Press into the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, process cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until smooth. Beat cream cheese and cottage cheese in large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the cheddar cheese and chilies. Pour mixture over baked crust. Return to oven; bake for 60 minutes.

Combine sour cream and dip in a small bowl; mix thoroughly. Remove cheesecake from oven and carefully pour sour cream mixture over top. Return cheesecake to oven. Bake 10 minutes more.

Remove cheesecake from oven. Let stand at room temperature to cool slightly. Loosen cake from rim of pan; cool completely before removing rim. Refrigerate cheesecake until ready to serve.

Just before serving top with tomatoes, onions and olives. Cut into wedges to serve. Serves 10 to 12 first-course appetizers.

Note; Put the green onion in a circle around the top outside edge, next the tomatoes and then the olives in the middle. This is really fancy looking when you serve it. I always get complements when I have this at parties.
    It is also very good right out of the oven hot.
    serves 10 to 12

Margarita Cake!

For my cinco de mayo party last year I made this margarita cake from the life of spice blog: http://www.lifeofspiceblog.com/recipes/margarita-cake/

It was FANTASTIC! It was inhaled, I was only left with crumbs to sample. It's definitely going to be repeated for this years party.

As for dips, I'm always partial to the T&T seven layer dip

Emily

I thought these cookies looked so cute, I just wouldn't use sugar cookies.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/somb...ookies-684582/
    Christie

I've made this a few times and it always gets a great response:

Party Bean Dip with Baked Tortilla Chips
    from Cooking Light

• 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas $
    • Cooking spray $
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice $
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 (16-ounce) can organic refried beans (such as Amy's or Eden Organic) $
    • 1 cup organic bottled salsa (such as Muir Glen) $
    • 2/3 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
    • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
    • 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
    • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese $
    • 3/4 cup (6 ounces) light sour cream $
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro $

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
    2. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges, and arrange wedges in single layers on 2 baking sheets. Lightly spray wedges with cooking spray; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool.
    3. Combine juice, cumin, and beans in a medium bowl, stirring until well combined. Spread mixture evenly into an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread salsa evenly over beans. Combine corn, onions, and olives; spoon corn mixture evenly over salsa. Sprinkle cheese over corn mixture. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Top with sour cream; sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.

Note: I've never made the chips, I always just buy regular tortilla chips.

I love this one! It's great using Costco's fresh corn on the cob which they carry year round.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Charred Corn Guacamole with Chips-Bobby Flay

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers Mexican

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 ears corn
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 ripe avocados -- peeled, pitted and diced
    1 serrano chile -- finely chopped
    1 red onion finely diced
    1 lime -- juiced
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    Blue -- yellow and white corn chips, as accompaniment

Remove the outer husk from the corn and loosen the silks without removing. Dunk into water and place directly onto a hot grill for 15 minutes. Remove from grill. Remove remaining husks and silks and cut the kernels off of the cob.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve with fried blue, yellow and white corn chips.

My notes - made with 3 small avocados, half a red onion, did corn at med heat on bbq, didn't loosen silk, and grilled 13 mins.

This was so yummy!! Didn't need much ground pepper, the serrano gave it enough heat. It kept a couple of hours at least with saran pressed

tightly over the top. It was actually better an hour after making.
    Read and Feed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieinMB View Post
    I thought these cookies looked so cute, I just wouldn't use sugar cookies.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/somb...ookies-684582/
    Those are adorable!!

Quote Originally Posted by dgeevanson View Post
    I love this one! It's great using Costco's fresh corn on the cob which they carry year round.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Charred Corn Guacamole with Chips-Bobby Flay
    This sounds really good - I'll definitely be giving a go sometime soon! I probably wouldn't have ever found it otherwise so thanks for sharing it
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by emily View Post
    For my cinco de mayo party last year I made this margarita cake from the life of spice blog: http://www.lifeofspiceblog.com/recipes/margarita-cake/

It was FANTASTIC! It was inhaled, I was only left with crumbs to sample. It's definitely going to be repeated for this years party.

As for dips, I'm always partial to the T&T seven layer dip

Emily
    Wowsa - that cake's list of ingredients looks awesome, tastily awesome. Thanks Emily! Looks way better than the one I make.

Triathlon13, if the crowd is youngish and there's a bit of wine and beer involved (margaritas will work too) and they like spicy hot stuff then this simple dip from Epicurious might appeal. It's easy to make, smokin' good, and popular; check the Epi site for all the good reviews and all the ways people alter the recipe to make it their own - I have, so check my notes.

CHIPOTLE DIP

Serve the dip with bell pepper strips, chips, or crackers.

2 scallions
    2 to 3 small canned chipotle chiles in adobo plus 1/4 teaspoon adobo sauce
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Finely chop scallions. Wearing protective gloves, mince enough chipotle to a paste to measure 1-1/2 tablespoons. In a bowl whisk together all ingredients with salt to taste. Dip may be kept, covered and chilled, 3 days.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Gourmet, February 1999

Andy’s notes: I usually use about 3/4 cup each of mayo and sour cream or tend to use more sour cream than mayo (don't actually measure things). I sometimes add some plain or Greek yogurt along with mayo and sour cream - using thick Greek yogurt allows you to add more lime juice, a tasty bonus. I add lime juice to taste rather than lemon. Sometimes I add about a 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro; sometimes I add a clove of garlic and a dash of salt. I prefer to mix by hand rather than using a food processor as the dip tends to be thinner using the machine. Light sour cream makes for a thin dip - if too thin add some beaten cream cheese.
    If you’ve not used chipotles before I suggest puréeing the whole can of chipotles and using about a Tbs of the purée to start, adding more if you like the heat ratcheted up. Cover a baking sheet, plate or pie plate with plastic wrap and place dollops (about 1 Tbs each) on the plastic and freeze. When frozen wrap up the chipotle mounds in the plastic and store in a freezer bag or plastic tub - they should be good for a year or more. They’re really good for adding flavour and heat in dips, chili, enchiladas, burgers, etc.

For dessert check out this Aztec Torte - chocolate, chillies and peanuts! I've made it a few times and it serves 12 imo. My dd likes it for her parties and is a fan of Mexican foods.
    Cheers! Andy

Roasted Tomato Salsa

1 pound Roma tomatoes, cored and halved
    1/2 medium white onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
    1 medium serrano chile, stemmed
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice, plus more as needed

Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven. Place the tomato halves skin-side up on a baking sheet. Scatter the onion, garlic, and serrano around the tomatoes. Broil until the tomato skins start to blacken and blister, about 7 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a blender, add the measured salt, and blend into a smooth purée. Transfer to a medium heatproof bowl and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice, taste, and season with more salt and lime juice as needed. Store in the refrigerator in a container with a tight-fitting lid for up to 4 days.

(Use to sauce Chiles Rellenos or Mushroom and Chile Tacos, or for dipping tortilla chips. For a milder salsa, seed and devein the chile before broiling. For a spicier version, add another serrano chile.)
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

Oh we have a problem..................

EVERYTHING looks SO SO SO good! I could sit down and eat all of this in one sitting. I love Mexican!!!!

We won't have any alcohol as we are all nurses, BUT that doesn't mean I can't cook with alcohol!

I've actually made the charred corn guacamole by Bobby Flay quite a long time ago and it was SO freaking good! I'm on the fence making guac only because avocado's are so expensive and I'll have to make a lot of it (no TJ's in the area). So I'm thinking of making a bean layer dip that I found on Eating Well or mamakjoy's recipe that is posted. That margarita cake looks yummy!

Keep them coming - I'll make my final 2-3 decisions Friday morning when I need to go do the groceries for it.

Thank you all so much - I don't have much time, so this is such a great way to get great ideas!!!!

M
    Laugh when you can!!!

My sister made this for me not too long ago and it was so delicious! It's a black bean and chipotle dipfrom Fine Cooking.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/b...potle-dip.aspx

I just found these individual 7-layer dips on Pinterest. How fun for a party! http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everythi...ayer-dips.html
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

This is a very easy and economical. If you cannot find Mrs. Renfro's, substitute another hot green salsa.

Mexican Fudge

1 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/4 jar Mrs. Renfro's Green Salsa (4 oz.)
    3 eggs, well-beaten

Spread half of cheese on 11x9" or 11x7" baking dish. Combine eggs and salsa and spread on cheese. Put remaining cheese on top. Bake 350 degrees, approximately 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Cut into 1" squares. Serve on tortilla chips
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
    My sister made this for me not too long ago and it was so delicious! It's a black bean and chipotle dipfrom Fine Cooking.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/b...potle-dip.aspx
    Yum - that looks scrumptious. I think that will be tomorrow night's dinner for DH and me along with a couple margaritas. Thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by golden1225 View Post
    I just found these individual 7-layer dips on Pinterest. How fun for a party! http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everythi...ayer-dips.html
    So cute! You'd need wide enough serving dishes to get the chips in, but love the idea. Also loved the idea of a "build your own" bar! Fun.

Pinata cookies?

http://www.geekologie.com/2012/05/ye...h-candy-in.php

These are adorable, but a lot of work!
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    This is fussy but the result looks and tastes great:Southwest Appetizer Cheesecake
    Thank you for posting this recipe! I lost my go-to recipe for a similar savoury cheesecake, but this one sounds easier, and even better.