Community Message Boards

Thread: Mullet Dresses...?

Mullet Dresses...?

Love them or hate them? Been seeing a lot of them lateley on tv. What do you think?
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I don't like them; a dress should be long or short-not both.

What is a mullet dress?

Maybe I should know, but I must confess I am clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Beachside View Post
    What is a mullet dress?

Maybe I should know, but I must confess I am clueless
    I **think** she's talking about a hi-low hemline. Along the lines of this: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/willow-c...resultback=510
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1grl1by View Post
    I **think** she's talking about a hi-low hemline. Along the lines of this: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/willow-c...resultback=510
    Well now I know (thank you)...but that brings another question--why is it called mullet dress?

Well now I know (thank you)...but that brings another question--why is it called mullet dress?
    I have no idea, and I wouldn't call them that. I'd call them a hi-low hemline dress. I was only able to figure out that was what they were because I heard someone on E! refer to them that way.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

I'm guessing it's because the dress is similar to a mullet haircut in that it is both long and short (and looks bad).

Well, dang! Gumbeaux! You're officially a fashion reporter!

Couldn't have answered that question better...
    Last edited by shscharles; 05-03-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Intuitive spell-check strikes again!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

LOL - I never heard that term, mullet dress!

I kind of like some of them. They were popular in the 80s too. My bridesmaids had dresses that had a very slight drape to them, probably a couple of inches longer in the back - they photographed nicely. But I would be afraid that the look would be dated quickly.

My bridesmaids dresses actually don't look that dated. But the 80s hairdos are a dead giveaway
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    LOL - I never heard that term, mullet dress!

I kind of like some of them. They were popular in the 80s too. My bridesmaids had dresses that had a very slight drape to them, probably a couple of inches longer in the back - they photographed nicely. But I would be afraid that the look would be dated quickly.

My bridesmaids dresses actually don't look that dated. But the 80s hairdos are a dead giveaway
    Yes, what goes around comes around. I like some of them and don't like some of them, it depends on the total look of the outfit. The same way, not all short looks are good or bad, and not all maxi looks are good or bad.
    ______

Elizabeth

I like the looks of the one (the length and flow, not the top or color) on the Nordstrom site 1grl1by listed but not the ones in the pictures Gumbeaux posted. Some of them look a lot like the one side longer than the other that was popular not too long ago - just shifted 90 degrees. Overall, I'll stick with my blue jeans and running shorts.
    Anne

Mullet: "business in the front, party in the back!"

Austin Powers: "Yeah, baby!"

Me: "No, thanks."

I think they look weird. I imagine they'll look very dated, too, as in, "that is SO spring 2012." Also, as someone who sews, I don't like seeing the wrong side of the fabric for the part that hangs down the back.

It looks like a weird hybrid of a cutaway tux and one of those handkerchief-hem (remember those?) dresses.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

They were the "thing" at prom this year. I haven't warmed up to them yet. They're not horrible, but I find myself wishing they'd make up their minds. LOL! Someone asked me what the girls wore to prom and I described them as "kind of like a mullet." I didn't know they were actually being referred to that way!
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

UGH! Funny you should bring this up because just this evening, as we were on our way for a bite to eat, I saw in the windows of a bridal/ prom dress store the mullets. Good name for them.

The girls on "American Idol" have been wearing them for a few weeks now. I would say the majority of them look real pretty on the girls

Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Honestly, I've not seen many I like. I agree with testkitchen45 not sure I like seeing the other side of the fabric. Some of the mullets just look strange to me with the thin strings of fabric hanging down in the back. (I should find a photo)

Some fashion trends I can embrace-this one...so far, just not happening.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by ___Rhianna___ View Post
    I find myself wishing they'd make up their minds. !
    I'm reminded of a story I once heard Julia Roberts tell. She described the car driven by her first date, and El Camino. "Half car, half truck. The automobile of indecision!"

I like this one.

You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I've seen those types of dresses on American Idol, but those girls can just about get away with anything!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Esperanza Spalding wore one in concert last night and it was gorgeous. Hers appeared to be made of an African print fabric, went over one shoulder, and was shorter (just below the knees) in the front and longer in the back. I thought it was particularly attractive on stage because it allowed for more movement than a long dress or a short dress, and she has to move a lot to switch from upright to electric bass. In Spalding's case, it was a beautiful and feminine look without looking cheap or sexified.

I wish I had a photo to post because she was STUNNING.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White