Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Game of the Week #48 05/03/12

Cooking Game of the Week #48 05/03/12

Good Morning Everyone!!!!!!!!

1. COOKBOOK - STARTS WITH P

2. TO-TRY FOLDER - RECIPE STARTS WITH P

3. CHEF - LAST NAME STARTS WITH P

4. INGREDIENT - PASTA

5. SPECIAL FOR THE WEEK - PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!! CINCO DE MAYO - KENTUCKY DERBY

REMEMBER, THE RECIPE HAS TO BE NEW TO YOU, EXCEPT, PARTY TIME. JUST SHARE HOW YOU CELEBRATE

THE GAME IS OPEN TO EVERYONE

HAPPY COOKING!!!!!!!!!

It's kind of a chilly, rainy day here so I'm heading into the kitchen now to make the below. It sounded interesting & I have everything on hand so, here goes...

Pumpkin Banana Loaf with (Undetectable) Chickpeas
    from Peanut Butter Fingers blog

•1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    •1/4 cup honey
    •1 cup whole wheat flour
    •1 cup white flour
    •1 teaspoon baking soda
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    •3/4 cup sugar
    •3/4 cup (1 1/2) butter, softened
    •2 eggs
    •1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    •1 cup canned pumpkin
    •1 large banana, mashed

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2.Place chickpeas and honey in a food processor and pulse until relatively smooth. Set aside.
    3.Combine whole wheat flour through cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
    4.Mix sugar and butter with a mixer until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla extract.
    5.Add chickpea mixture, pumpkin and banana to sugar mixture.
    6.Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture until batter is combined.
    7.Slowly pour batter into a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray and bake for approximately 65 – 75 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
    8.Cool, slice and enjoy!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

RebelYell - I'm really curious about how this turns out. The recipe looks more like a pudding than a quick bread to me. I should use chickpeas more often even if just tossing them in a salad is the only quick option.
    Anne

Boy, am I glad I picked Pasta for this weeks ingredient. I haven't worked on the pasta binders in years. What a mess. Here's a coincidence tho. Some years ago I started writing down a list of different pasta types that Barilla makes. Never finished it though, I only got through the P's and that alone was 42. Who knew there was that many types as it was?

So, no excuses. There's plenty of pasta on the shelves and if you are the talented one, pleanty of things you can make yourself.

I really would like to have a great turnout for this game. Summer is almost here and we all tend to cut back on our cooking and participation drops off consideratly. So now is the time to cook up a storm and get those "to-try" folders really thinned out. And if you find you don't want to use certain cookbooks, I'm sure your local library would love the donations.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Good Morning Everyone!!!!!!!!

1. COOKBOOK - STARTS WITH P

2. TO-TRY FOLDER - RECIPE STARTS WITH P

3. CHEF - LAST NAME STARTS WITH P

4. INGREDIENT - PASTA

5. SPECIAL FOR THE WEEK - PARTY TIME!!!!!!!!!! CINCO DE MAYO - KENTUCKY DERBY

REMEMBER, THE RECIPE HAS TO BE NEW TO YOU, EXCEPT, PARTY TIME. JUST SHARE HOW YOU CELEBRATE
    Well cookieee--that certainly is a selection! I hope it is the nudge I need to get me out of my current cooking slump...at least for this week!

Pasta! We love it! And so many summer salads have a pasta base, which we then serve over a bed of lettuce! I'm going to find a new one for this week... although, it's going to be after Sunday before I have to be/get to be in the kitchen, again!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Hi Susan, I hope so also, for you and me. I have been going around this week acting like a cheer leader Hoping that will help myself and others get out of their cooking slumps. There must be thousands of things we can make. P is a very good letter for all of the categorys. I have 3 Paul Prudhomme CB's. I'm sure DH can find a lot of recipes he will want to make. Nice and spicy. Just hand your sweet DH a cookbook and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    Pasta! We love it! And so many summer salads have a pasta base, which we then serve over a bed of lettuce! I'm going to find a new one for this week... although, it's going to be after Sunday before I have to be/get to be in the kitchen, again!
    Hi Kay, that is what I was thinking. Now we can get a bunch of new, really good Pasta salads all lined up for this summer. And with Cinco de Mayo this Saturday, we can experiment with some new Margaritas for the summer also or Mint Juleps

Hi Susan, I hope so also, for you and me. I have been going around this week acting like a cheer leader Hoping that will help myself and others get out of their cooking slumps. There must be thousands of things we can make. P is a very good letter for all of the categorys. I have 3 Paul Prudhomme CB's. I'm sure DH can find a lot of recipes he will want to make. Nice and spicy. Just hand your sweet DH a cookbook and see what happens.
    Susan, I just pulled one of Paul P's CB out of the book case. Listen to what it says. If this doen't get people in the mood to cook, I don't know what will.

Chef Paul Prudhomme's "Fiery Foods That I Love" Arousing new flavor combinations that lift your spirits, tantalize your taste buds, and make your imagination soar. Boy, how's that?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    It's kind of a chilly, rainy day here so I'm heading into the kitchen now to make the below. It sounded interesting & I have everything on hand so, here goes...

This is really, really good! You can't taste the chickpeas at all and they leave behind no discernable texture. The loaf is very moist. My brother just snagged a piece and loved it I would definitely make this again - I love the pumpkin and banana combo, since they are my 2 fave quick breads to make!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

This is really, really good! You can't taste the chickpeas at all and they leave behind no discernable texture. The loaf is very moist. My brother just snagged a piece and loved it I would definitely make this again - I love the pumpkin and banana combo, since they are my 2 fave quick breads to make!
    Well then, thank goodness it turned out good

•1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    •1/4 cup honey
    •1 cup whole wheat flour
    •1 cup white flour
    •1 teaspoon baking soda
    •1/2 teaspoon salt
    •1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    •3/4 cup sugar
    •3/4 cup (1 1/2) butter, softened
    •2 eggs
    •1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    •1 cup canned pumpkin
    •1 large banana, mashed

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2.Place chickpeas and honey in a food processor and pulse until relatively smooth. Set aside.
    3.Combine whole wheat flour through cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
    4.Mix sugar and butter with a mixer until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla extract.
    5.Add chickpea mixture, pumpkin and banana to sugar mixture.
    6.Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture until batter is combined.
    7.Slowly pour batter into a loaf pan sprayed with cooking spray and bake for approximately 65 – 75 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
    8.Cool, slice and enjoy!
    Hey Reb, do you think this would work with less butter or with oil instead of butter? Pumpkin can be a great fat sub; do you think I'd be pushing my luck to back off?

I made a triple-pointer last night: Perciatelli (i.e. Pasta) with Farmhouse Sauce, from a book titled Pasta Step-by-Step. Alas, the three points were the best part of the dish. Essentially, it was mushrooms, chopped eggplant, and garlic sauteed in olive oil and then braised in tomatoes, poured over perciatelli and sprinkled with chopped parsley. That's it. No other seasonings except salt and pepper "to taste." And it never really came together -- definitely needed more herbs or something. I suppose it could be an idea or base for a more complex dish, or it could benefit by being topped with mozzarella and stuck in the oven or under the broiler, but as it was ... nyeh. Blah. One recipe to remove from the To-Try File.

But hey, I got three points and a cleanup on the to-try aisle. And I have more recipes waiting. Asian noodle dishes count as pasta, right?

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    I made a triple-pointer last night: Perciatelli (i.e. Pasta) with Farmhouse Sauce, from a book titled Pasta Step-by-Step. Alas, the three points were the best part of the dish. Essentially, it was mushrooms, chopped eggplant, and garlic sauteed in olive oil and then braised in tomatoes, poured over perciatelli and sprinkled with chopped parsley. That's it. No other seasonings except salt and pepper "to taste." And it never really came together -- definitely needed more herbs or something. I suppose it could be an idea or base for a more complex dish, or it could benefit by being topped with mozzarella and stuck in the oven or under the broiler, but as it was ... nyeh. Blah. One recipe to remove from the To-Try File.

But hey, I got three points and a cleanup on the to-try aisle. And I have more recipes waiting. Asian noodle dishes count as pasta, right?

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Hi Phoebe, wondering where you were. One of the highlights of the game for me is when you first read what we are doing for the week and your reaction. I miss that.

But your here and made your recipe all ready. Sorry it was a disappointment. I have 5 recipes calling for perciatelli if you have any left over. Funny you should ask about the Asian noodles. I was thinking about that this morning. I don't know if it is right or not, but I am going to say yes. Didn't they invent pasta? Anyway, they are in my Pasta binders. Don't you love it when you get a 3 pointer recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by meslgh View Post
    Hey Reb, do you think this would work with less butter or with oil instead of butter? Pumpkin can be a great fat sub; do you think I'd be pushing my luck to back off?
    I'm not the best baker in the world, so maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I've made other quick breads with far less butter and sugar before and they've always been fine so I think that it'd probably be okay with less! I'm not sure about the oil but these loaves tend to be pretty forgiving. Between the pumpkin, banana, and pureed chickpeas, it is already a very moist bread!

The next time I make it, I was planning on cutting back on both the butter and sugar. So I'll update this then. In the meantime, if you make any subs, I'd be happy to hear them

Am I cheating by claiming two points for ingredient and title, when my Pasta recipe is called "Pasta with Zucchini and Basil"? Anyway, I made this last night, and it turned out to be another simple-but-yummy dish. I used a bit more oil than the recipe calls for, though, since I did the zucchini coins in two batches. Oh, and I used only 3 oz of pasta, as usual.

Don't be deceived by the title of the cookbook, by the way. It's full of nifty ideas even for accomplished cooks, and you definitely don't have to be a student to use it -- although some of us might be considered perennially left-back students, since we never seem to learn life lessons. (I used to say that I wanted my tombstone to read, "In X years, the only thing she learned was the alphabet." And a footnote would add, "And she always got lost after 'T.'" But I digress.)

Anyway, the recipe is below.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Pasta with Zucchini and Basil
    Servings: 1

4 ozs spaghetti
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 cup sliced zucchini
    1/4 tsp dried basil
    salt and pepper, to taste [my "taste" for salt is zero]
    2 tsp lemon juice
    1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the garlic, zucchini, and basil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Quickly fry until the zucchini begins to brown, about 5 minutes. stirring occasionally. Add the lemon juice and stir. Remove from the heat. When the pasta is done, top with the zucchini and grated Parmesan cheese; add salt and pepper to taste.

Source
    Author: Carole Raymond
    Source: Student's Vegetarian Cookbook

I'm going to try to play again this week. I could only find one cookbook on my shelf that starts with "P" - it's a picnic book my mom gave me as a present a few years ago, but nothing really jumped out at me so I decided to go with pasta.

I found a pasta recipe to try and am planning to make it on Monday for dinner. I found a whole slideshow of gluten free pasta dishes on the Cooking Light website, and this one calls for the quinoa pasta that DD likes the best.

Linguine with Peppery Shrimp (Cooking Light)

• 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    • 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    • Cooking spray
    • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 6 quarts water
    • 8 ounces uncooked gluten-free quinoa linguine (such as Ancient Harvest)

Preparation

1. 1. Combine shrimp, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, tossing to coat shrimp. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shrimp; sauté 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.
    2. 2. Combine rind and juice in a small saucepan over medium heat; add 2 teaspoons thyme. Bring to a boil; add butter, stirring constantly with a whisk until butter melts. Bring 6 quarts water to a boil; stir in 1 tablespoon salt. Add pasta; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water. Add shrimp, butter mixture, reserved pasta water, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to pasta, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme.

Quote Originally Posted by carmor View Post
    I'm going to try to play again this week. I could only find one cookbook on my shelf that starts with "P" - it's a picnic book my mom gave me as a present a few years ago, but nothing really jumped out at me so I decided to go with pasta.

I found a pasta recipe to try and am planning to make it on Monday for dinner. I found a whole slideshow of gluten free pasta dishes on the Cooking Light website, and this one calls for the quinoa pasta that DD likes the best.

Linguine with Peppery Shrimp (Cooking Light)

• 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    • 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    • Cooking spray
    • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, divided
    • 3 tablespoons butter
    • 6 quarts water
    • 8 ounces uncooked gluten-free quinoa linguine (such as Ancient Harvest)

Preparation

1. 1. Combine shrimp, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, tossing to coat shrimp. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shrimp; sauté 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.
    2. 2. Combine rind and juice in a small saucepan over medium heat; add 2 teaspoons thyme. Bring to a boil; add butter, stirring constantly with a whisk until butter melts. Bring 6 quarts water to a boil; stir in 1 tablespoon salt. Add pasta; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water. Add shrimp, butter mixture, reserved pasta water, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to pasta, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme.
    Oh you found my weakness, shrimp I hope it gets a great review Monday.

Hi everybody, hope you all had a good Cinco de Mayo yesterday. I wasn't quite up to par, so we wound up ordering "wings" Hope to make something today for the game.

Oh you found my weakness, shrimp I hope it gets a great review Monday.
    Unfortunately, the shrimp at the store didn't look all that great, so I'm thinking I'll go back through my "to try" pile and see what I can find.

I did find a couple good looking shrimp pasta recipes. Once I find some good looking shrimp I'll let you know how they turn out

Since my pasta recipe is looking like it's not going to happen this week, I decided to go back through my books. I have one cookbook that starts with a "P", it's called Picnics by Hilary & Alex Heminway. My mom gave it to me as a birthday present a few years ago along with a picnic set after I described to her a picnic we had at the beach for which we were horribly unprepared.

The book has some interesting recipes and picnic ideas. I've been craving watermelon the last few days and bought one at the store this afternoon. I found this watermelon recipe and decided to give it a whirl.

Watermelon Salad (from Picnics, c 2007)

3 Tbsp lime juice
    2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
    2 Tbsp fresh basil
    1/2 tsp fresh cumin
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 cups cubed watermelon.

Combine all ingredients except watermelon in a large bowl. Add watermelon and toss. Chill and serve.

This was. . . different. I'm still not sure I liked it all that much, and DH had the same reaction. I have the rest sitting in the fridge and I'm going to take it for lunch tomorrow, we'll see if it's any better after chilling overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    (I used to say that I wanted my tombstone to read, "In X years, the only thing she learned was the alphabet." And a footnote would add, "And she always got lost after 'T.'" But I digress.)

Anyway, the recipe is below.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Pasta with Zucchini and Basil
    Servings: 1
    That is so funny. Love it. Also love your recipe. Thanks

I went to a Cinco de Mayo party Saturday and made these key lime cupcakes to take. Lime fit with the theme in my mind, at least. They were a respectable homemade cupcake--not too sweet, a hint of lime, a bit dense but not heavy (if that makes sense). I used half a recipe of frosting (enough to frost them generously, but not as generously as they show online--I liked less frosting) and just divided the batter into 12 instead of using the 1/3 c measure (this made normal cupcakes with a bit of a dome over the edge of the liner--the 1/3c ones would probably leave you ample room for all the frosting in the original recipe!).

Then, last night, I took supper to my parents as they have no kitchen right now. They're at the start of a major remodel. I am still on the hunt for a good spaghetti with meat sauce/Johnny Marzetti/quick spaghetti. This recipe, from The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook, was good, but a little too fancy and a little too acidic. We ate most of it and I am looking forward to the leftovers for dinner tonight, but it was not quite what I am looking for.

Key Lime Cupcakes BA 9/08
    1 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup self-rising flour (I made my own)
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
    1/4 teaspoon neon-green food coloring (didn't use)
    3/4 cup buttermilk

1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 tablespoon finely grated lime peel
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Whisk both flours in medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar; beat to blend. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then next 3 ingredients (batter may look curdled). Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions. Spoon scant 1/3 cup batter into each liner.Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool. Beat all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth. Spread over cupcakes.

Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Meat
    28oz can of diced or ground tomatoes or whole tomatoes, not in puree or sauce
    1 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 carrot, finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 lb ground beef
    1/4 lb ground pork
    1/2 c white wine
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    dash nutmeg
    dash allspice
    freshly ground pepper

Optional (I didn't add)
    1/4 c heavy cream
    3 tbsp fresh parsley

If using whole tomatoes, drain (reserve liquid) and chop tomatoes. In a dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat until foam subsides. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and cook for 8 minutes or until onion is soft but not browned. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add meats, breaking up gently with a spoon. After 3-4 minutes, add the wine and salt--the meat should still be pink inside. Simmer for 5 minutes and then add the sugar and spices, and tomatoes with their liquid. Simmer for 1 hour. Add pepper to taste. Add the heavy cream; bring sauce back to a simmer and simmer for 3 minutes. Add parsley and serve.
    Last edited by erin elizabeth; 05-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carmor View Post
    Since my pasta recipe is looking like it's not going to happen this week, I decided to go back through my books. I have one cookbook that starts with a "P", it's called Picnics by Hilary & Alex Heminway. My mom gave it to me as a birthday present a few years ago along with a picnic set after I described to her a picnic we had at the beach for which we were horribly unprepared.

The book has some interesting recipes and picnic ideas. I've been craving watermelon the last few days and bought one at the store this afternoon. I found this watermelon recipe and decided to give it a whirl.

Watermelon Salad (from Picnics, c 2007)

3 Tbsp lime juice
    2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
    2 Tbsp fresh basil
    1/2 tsp fresh cumin
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 cups cubed watermelon.

Combine all ingredients except watermelon in a large bowl. Add watermelon and toss. Chill and serve.

This was. . . different. I'm still not sure I liked it all that much, and DH had the same reaction. I have the rest sitting in the fridge and I'm going to take it for lunch tomorrow, we'll see if it's any better after chilling overnight.
    Hi Carmor, I'm surprised it wasn't delicious. Wow, with lime juice, cilantro and all those other spices. Only problem I see is not enough salt.

Hi Erin, here is a Ragu that I made for Game 178, 2009. It was very, very good.

DH has been wanting us to make this for YEARS So today is the day. This is from one of my favorite cooks on TV, "The Frugal Gourmet". I sure do miss him.

RAGU

Makes about 3 quarts

"Ragu is a simple sauce made almost entirely with meat, and it is common throughout the Emilia-Romagna region-well, all of Northern Italy for that matter. There are as many recipes for this dish as there are grandmas in the area. Tambaurini, one of the finest food stores in Bologna, makes something like the following. However, in a very famous restaurant in Parma, the chef uses little else than veal and butter. So enjoy, but this dish makes anything on which you put it into an entire meal."

1/2 cup olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 rib celery, finely chopped
    1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
    1/2 lb pancetta finely chopped
    2 lbs veal, coarsely ground
    2 lbs pork butt, coarsely ground
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    2 1/2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 6 oz can tomato paste
    6 TB butter
    1/4 cup whipping cream
    2 tsp chopped fresh sage
    2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 10 to 12 quart heavy-bottom stainless-steel kettle, and add the oil, garlic, celery, carrot, and onion. Saute until the onion is transparent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the pancetta and saute 5 minutes. Add the veal and pork and brown until crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, chicken stock, white wine, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2 hours. Add the butter, cream, sage, and cheese and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Skim the fat from the top of the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.

Source: The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian - Jeff Smith 1993

It is cooking now, will get back to you later with the results.

It's later To quote DH, "it's delicious, worth waiting for". We served it over corkscrew pasta

Susan, I just pulled one of Paul P's CB out of the book case. Listen to what it says. If this doen't get people in the mood to cook, I don't know what will.

Chef Paul Prudhomme's "Fiery Foods That I Love" Arousing new flavor combinations that lift your spirits, tantalize your taste buds, and make your imagination soar. Boy, how's that?
    Yes, I did give this book to DH to check out, and yes, he did find something he wanted to make. The recipe calls for making a seasoning mix with 18 herbs and spices (which we made last night) I was not looking forward to typing all of that but luckily I found it on the web If everything goes all right, we will have this for dinner tonight.

ONION GINGER CHICKEN

Seasoning Mix

1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    3/4 teaspoon cayenne
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon ground dill seed
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground sage

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 (3 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 cups chopped onions, in all
    3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    4 cups chicken stock, in all

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl. Mix 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix with the flour and set aside for use later in the recipe. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of the seasoning mix evenly over the chicken and rub it in well.

Heat the oil in a heavy 6-quart pot over high heat just until the oil begins to smoke, about 4 minutes. Brown the seasoned chicken in batches, large pieces first and skin sides down first, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside. Caution: Because this seasoning mixture contains so many dark spices plus sugar, it will brown very quickly, so watch the process carefully. If necessary, reduce the heat to medium high. Be sure to brown the chicken well, though, because this step will affect the color and taste of the finished dish.

Add the onions to the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen the brown bits. Cook, stirring and scraping frequently, until the onions are brown, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, seasoned flour, and 1/2 cup of the stock and stir until the flour is completely incorporated into the mixture. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour begins to stick, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining stock and the remaining seasoning mix and scrape the pot bottom well. Return the chicken and the accumulated juices to the pot, then bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to about 4 cups, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve. Makes 4 servings.

"Note: In the directions it talks about stirring the flour until it "sticks".
    The flour will stick to the onions at first, but after some time the incorporated flour will start sticking to the bottom of the pan."

Source: "Fiery Foods That I love" Paul Prudhomme

Well this was going to be for Cinco de Mayo (and some for the freezer ) but plans got changed (and I made a last-minute taco salad--T&T)...but I am going to put this recipe out for this week's game in Category 5 . Well there is a "P" in the book's title, maybe I should also say it is for category 1 --okay, I guess not

I made this once a couple of years ago and it was good--but different--not what I'd think of for taco filling.

Tyler Florence>Dinner @ My Place

Mexican Pot Roast Tacos

Serves 6 to 8

extra-virgin olive oil
    2-3 pounds beef shoulder
    Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 large onion, cut into wedges
    1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, (recommended: San Marzano)
    1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or 3 dried red chiles
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (about 8 sprigs)
    water
    2 tbs red wine vinegar

For serving:
    8 fresh medium corn tortillas
    3 c finely shredded romaine lettuce
    ½ bunch cilantro
    1/3 lb cotija cheese, crumbled (if adding cheese, I’d use cheddar)
    2 limes, cut into wedges for garnish

Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, or other heavy pot that has a tight cover, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and the beef to the pot, browning the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and stir until they caramelize a little and have contact with the bottom of the pot, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes with juice, plus 1 tomato can of water, spices, ½ bunch cilantro. Crush tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 2-3 hours until the meat is fork tender and comes apart with little resistance. Once cooked, use a wooden spoon to break apart the meat. Season with salt & black pepper to taste; add the vinegar.

If you like, warm the tortillas over an open flame on a gas stove, about 10 seconds per side.

To assemble the tacos:
    Lay some shredded romaine as a base. Top with some shredded beef, cheese, cilantro. Serve alongside Guacamole and salsa. Garnish with lime wedges.

For the Quick San Marzano salsa:
    1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, reserving the juice (recommended: San Marzano)
    1 small red onion, roughly chopped
    1 Serrano chile or to taste
    1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
    2 limes, juiced
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    Kosher salt &Freshly cracked black pepper
    Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
    fresh cilantro and lime wedge for garnish

To make salsa, pulse all the ingredients, except the tomato juice, in a food processor. Add the reserved tomato juice if the salsa is too thick. Drizzle salsa with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and set aside, allowing the flavors to marry. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedge.

The Ultimate Guacamole:
    6 ripe avocados
    3 limes, juiced
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, smashed then minced
    2 serrano chiles, thinly sliced
    1 big handful fresh cilantro with stems, about 1/2 cup, finely chopped
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Halve and pit the avocados. With a tablespoon, scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl. Mash the avocados using either a fork or potato masher, leaving them still a bit chunky. Add the remaining ingredients, and fold everything together, still leaving plenty of texture. Drizzle with a little olive oil, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and give it 1 final mix with a fork.
    Lay a piece of plastic wrap tight on the surface of the guacamole so it doesn't brown and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
    Yield: about 4 cups

As I mentioned, I did make this once and after trying it I did think it was really good. I have made the guac numerous times and love it, however I've not made the salsa.

Hi Susan, wait till I show this to DH Thanks, Hope you had a Happy Cinco de Mayo.

I can play this week!

I made Pork and Black Bean Tinga with Chipotle for Cinco de Mayo. It's from the new Ted Allen cookbook, In My Kitchen. This is really good. The pork is very tender, the seasonings subtle. I might add more chipotle next time, but DH thought it was perfect.

The recipe (and a few others) are available on Google Books, so I just copied the link. Hope that's okay!

http://books.google.com/books?id=r5F...page&q&f=false

Yes, I did give this book to DH to check out, and yes, he did find something he wanted to make. The recipe calls for making a seasoning mix with 18 herbs and spices (which we made last night) I was not looking forward to typing all of that but luckily I found it on the web If everything goes all right, we will have this for dinner tonight.

ONION GINGER CHICKEN

Seasoning Mix

1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    3/4 teaspoon cayenne
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon ground dill seed
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground sage

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 (3 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 cups chopped onions, in all
    3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    4 cups chicken stock, in all

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl. Mix 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix with the flour and set aside for use later in the recipe. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of the seasoning mix evenly over the chicken and rub it in well.

Heat the oil in a heavy 6-quart pot over high heat just until the oil begins to smoke, about 4 minutes. Brown the seasoned chicken in batches, large pieces first and skin sides down first, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside. Caution: Because this seasoning mixture contains so many dark spices plus sugar, it will brown very quickly, so watch the process carefully. If necessary, reduce the heat to medium high. Be sure to brown the chicken well, though, because this step will affect the color and taste of the finished dish.

Add the onions to the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen the brown bits. Cook, stirring and scraping frequently, until the onions are brown, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger, seasoned flour, and 1/2 cup of the stock and stir until the flour is completely incorporated into the mixture. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour begins to stick, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining stock and the remaining seasoning mix and scrape the pot bottom well. Return the chicken and the accumulated juices to the pot, then bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to about 4 cups, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve. Makes 4 servings.

"Note: In the directions it talks about stirring the flour until it "sticks".
    The flour will stick to the onions at first, but after some time the incorporated flour will start sticking to the bottom of the pan."

Source: "Fiery Foods That I love" Paul Prudhomme
    Oh my, oh my!!!!!!!!!! DH did a fantastic job with this. I thought it would be to spicy hot, but it was just right on. Very, very good!!!!!!!!! Will have to check out all of his books. If you feel that your spices are not getting a good work out, I highly recommend trying Paul's recipes.