Community Message Boards

Thread: best oatmeal cookies?

best oatmeal cookies?

I know I have a ton of oatmeal at home. Not sure if it is quick-cook or old-fashioned (likely not instant). I'm thinking about making cookies tonight or this weekend. What are your best recipes? I prefer things that are all natural/less processed/organic if possible.

The best oatmeal cookies I ever had were the ones on the inside top of the Quaker oatmeal tin -- called Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies!

Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
    3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
    1 cup raisins

Preparation

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Prep Time: 20 min
    Cook Time Time: 08 min

Variations

Bar Cookies: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. 24 BARS. VARIATIONS: Stir in 1 cup chopped nuts. Substitute 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or candy-coated chocolate pieces for raisins; omit cinnamon. Substitute 1 cup diced dried mixed fruit. HIGH ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Increase flour to 1-3/4 cups and bake as directed.
    Yield

4 DOZEN
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I've tried a few recipes. This is my favorite.

Crispy Salted Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt
    14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
    1 cup sugar

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

1/2 teaspoon sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel for sprinkling on top)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.

2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and stir until well incorporated.

3. Roll into balls, then place on baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fork gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle a few flakes of sea salt on each cookie. (optional)

5. Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.

~ from Cooks Illustrated

The best oatmeal cookies I ever had were the ones on the inside top of the Quaker oatmeal tin -- called Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies!
    Ha! As I type this, I have two sheets of these cookies baking in the oven! This is the recipe my grandmother has always used, so now I use it, too. I keep saying that one day I'll try a new recipe, but then I end up resorting to this one because I know it's tasty. I always use butterscotch chips instead of raisins...mmmm. I'll be following this thread with interest to see what others contribute. Maybe next time I'll finally branch out!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post

Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
    These have been my go-to oatmeal cookies since I was a little girl!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

My favorite is also a Cook's Illustrated recipe, but it is from one of their "Light" cookbooks. I don't have the recipe available at the moment but it uses a raisin paste in the batter to cut a bit of the sugar and butter. It is chewy, sweet, oaty, and IMHO, it tops the vanishing oatmeal raisin cookies from Quaker. And I had been searching awhile for my favorite as I am an oatmeal cookie fiend. HMMMM. . . . may just have to make a batch this week. My second most fav. is also CI Light recipe from their first Light cookbook. No raisin paste in this one, just melted butter but less of it overall. Finally Vanishing Oatmeal from Quaker now comes in a humble third at our house.

Karen

We really like this one from Smitten Kitchen - she adapted it from the Cook's Illustrated recipe that Charley posted. I love the addition of the white chocolate.

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies
    Smitten Kitchen Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated

The original recipe didn’t have white chocolate in it, but it really works wonderfully in here. Even if you’re a dark chocolate fan. Watch out, use the good stuff and this may even convert you.

1 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon table salt
    14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 large egg
    2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats

6 ounces good-quality white chocolate bar, chopped (not “white chocolate” chips; they’re almost always artificial. I am adamant about this.)

1/2 teapoon flaky sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel) (for sprinkling on top)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.

2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and white chocolate and mix until well incorporated.

3. Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.

4. Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie

5. Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool.

Toasted Oatmeal Cookies

My favorite!

Toasted Oatmeal Cookies
    3/4 c butter
    2 c quick cooking oatmeal, uncooked
    1 c firmly packed brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 c flour
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 c chopped pecans
    Melt butter in a skillet and cook over med. heat until lightly browned. Add oats and cook for five minutes or until oats are golden. Cool
    Combine sugar, egg, and vanilla. Combine flour, and next 4 ingredients. Stir all ingredients together. Mix well.
    Drop dough by rounded tsps 3" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten with a glass a little. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or til golden. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool.
    Yield 3 1/2 dozen.

These are the ones I posted about my son loving after not being able to get him to even try a regular oatmeal cookie. I was looking for a vegan recipe, so I made them with shortening and dark brown sugar. They are thin, but chewy.

You will note that the recipe easily divides into thirds -- or even sixths, if you don't need quite so much therapy.

Aggression Cookies

3 c brown sugar
    3 c butter or margarine
    6 c oatmeal
    1 T baking soda
    3 c flour

Mash, knead, squeeze all ingredients in a huge bowl 'til you feel better, then form into balls and mash flat on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

I've tried a few recipes. This is my favorite.

. Crispy Salted Oatmeal Cookies. ~ from Cooks Illustrated
    I second this for crispy ones...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these! The only change I make is to had either chocolate covered dried cranberries or raisinettes! YUM!!!

Sheila in MD

I'll search later, the one I use is called Soft Oatmeal Cookies and its here on the board somewhere

I normally make with white chocolate chips and orange zest. Last time I had neither, so I made a drizzling glaze of brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Holy man was that good

These are my family's favorite from the KAF website:

Oatmeal Cookie Kings

1 1/2 cups (6 3/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter*
    1/2 cup (3 1/4 ounces) butter-flavored shortening*
    1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
    1 cup (7 1/2 ounces) brown sugar, packed
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla crush
    2 large eggs
    3 cups (11 1/4 ounces) quick-cooking oats**
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) nuts (we used chopped, toasted hazelnuts)
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) diced dried cranberries and/or apples (optional)

*You may use 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter rather than 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup shortening, if you prefer.

**The texture changes completely if you substitute old-fashioned (or thick oats) for quick-cooking oats. Cookies made with old-fashioned oats will spread much more, sometimes to the point of becoming lace cookies; we prefer using quick-cooking oats in this recipe.

In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, sugars and vanilla(s). Beat in the eggs, then the flour mixture. Add the oatmeal, nuts, and fruit, if using, and mix well.

Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake the cookies in a preheated 375°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until they're a very light golden brown around the edges. Remove them from the oven, and cool them on a rack. Yield: about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Nutrition information per serving (1 cookie, 19g): 81 cal, 4g fat, 1g protein, 5g complex carbohydrates, 6g sugar, 1g dietary fiber, 9mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 37mg potassium, 19RE vitamin A, 8mg calcium, 30mg phosphorus.
    Alicia

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    I know I have a ton of oatmeal at home. Not sure if it is quick-cook or old-fashioned (likely not instant). I'm thinking about making cookies tonight or this weekend. What are your best recipes? I prefer things that are all natural/less processed/organic if possible.
    These are the most healthful but also the best tasting oatmeal cookies I've ever tasted. From Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

OATMEAL SCHOOL COOKIES

1/2 cup butter, (1/4 lb.) somewhat softened

3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

1 lightly beaten egg

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 toasted wheat germ

3/4 cup rolled oats*

3/4 cup raisins

3/4 cup chopped walnuts or sunflower seeds*

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets for 2 dozen.

Cream butter & sugar until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla & salt and beat well. Stir flour, baking powder, wheat & oats in a medium bowl with a fork. Blend well with other ingredients, adding a Tbsp. or more of water if necessary to hold mixture together.

Place by tablespoonful on greased cookie sheets, flatten slightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Makes 24.

*You can use quick-cooking oats, if that's what you have.
    Mari uses 2 part walnut, 1 part sunseeds to make up the nut measure.

You can also use chopped dried apricots or dried cranberries for all or part of the raisins.

I'm enjoying all of these oatmeal cookies options. We love oatmeal cookies so much, I like to try something new once in awhile to change things up.

These are the standard oatmeal cookies around our house. I’ve been making them since the recipe appeared in a Betty Crocker Cookbook years ago.

Oatmeal Cookies
    Betty Crocker’s Best Recipes for Cookies

Recipe is easy to double or triple.

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1/4 cup shortening
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1-1/2 cups oats (Quaker Quick Oats)
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream sugars, butter and shortening. Stir in egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and flour. Stir into creamed mixture. Add oatmeal, raisins and nuts (if using).

Take a rounded tablespoonful of dough and roll into a ball; put on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (or greased cookie sheet). Flatten cookies with your hand (dough doesn’t spread a lot in the oven). Bake for 12-14 minutes. Don’t over bake.

Option: Use dates and walnuts (instead of raisins and pecans).

Here’s another recipe that makes seriously good cookies. It calls for coconut, which people either love or don’t. If you do, try these! This recipe makes large cookies.

Jumbo Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies
    Everyday Food, April 05

1-1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    3/4 cup light brown sugar
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    2-1/2 cups rolled oats (Quaker Old-Fashioned Oats – not “quick” oats)
    2 cups raisins
    1 cup sweetened shredded coconut (Angel Flake is what I use)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy (use mixer or mix well by hand). Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Add oats, raisins, and coconut; mix just until combined.

Chill dough about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325º.

Line a baking sheet with parchment. Drop 1/4 cupfuls of dough onto sheet (6 per sheet). Flatten tops slightly, using waxed paper or fingers. Bake 15 – 17 minutes, until cookies are golden, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time.

Cool a few minutes on sheet; then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

* Makes 20 – 26 cookies (scant 1/4 cups of dough).

Here's the CI Lighter Oatmeal Cookies

Makes 20 cookies
    The cooled cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.

Ingredients
    • 1 cup raisins ; 1/2 cup chopped fine, 1/2 cup left whole
    • 3/4 cup water
    • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 1 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
    • 1 large egg
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Instructions
    • 1. PLUMP RAISINS Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine chopped raisins and water in saucepan and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until water has evaporated and raisins are plump, about 15 minutes; let cool.
    • 2. TOAST OATS Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Cook oats, stirring constantly, until just golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; let cool.
    • 3. MIX Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. In large bowl, whisk sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in whole and plumped raisins, oat mixture, and flour mixture until just combined.
    • 4. BAKE Roll 2 tablespoons dough into 1½-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Gently press balls with measuring cup until ½ inch thick. Bake cookies until edges are light golden and centers are just set, 13 to 16 minutes, switching and rotating baking sheets halfway through baking. Cool 10 minutes on sheets, then transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Thanks everyone! What I thought was going to be a pretty easy/relaxing weekend has turned into a series of obligations, so I think I'll wait till NEXT weekend. I have at least 2 things planned on both Saturday and Sunday. Sorry I haven't replied back yet, its been crazy, but all of these look great, so I will probably see which ones I have the most ingredients for so I don't have to buy add'l items (although I am liking the ideas of using different fruits than raisins.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    Thanks everyone! What I thought was going to be a pretty easy/relaxing weekend has turned into a series of obligations, so I think I'll wait till NEXT weekend. I have at least 2 things planned on both Saturday and Sunday. Sorry I haven't replied back yet, its been crazy, but all of these look great, so I will probably see which ones I have the most ingredients for so I don't have to buy add'l items (although I am liking the ideas of using different fruits than raisins.
    Dried blueberries and cherries are fantastic in oatmeal cookies, and either of them mixed with golden raisins or chopped dried apricots is wonderful--

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    Dried blueberries and cherries are fantastic in oatmeal cookies, and either of them mixed with golden raisins or chopped dried apricots is wonderful--
    Those do sound good as other options! Thanks for the ideas.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I switched from Martha's recipe to Ina Garten's a number of years ago. I won 2nd Place in the county fair with these 2 years ago.

Raisin Pecan Oatmeal Cookies

2008, Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics, All Rights Reserved
    Prep Time:5 minInactive Prep Time:-- Cook Time:25 minLevel:EasyServes:30 to 35 cookies

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups pecans
    • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    • 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
    • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 3 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
    • 1 1/2 cups raisins
    Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Place the pecans on a sheet pan and bake for 5 minutes, until crisp. Set aside to cool. Chop very coarsely.
    In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.
    Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together into a medium bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Add the oats, raisins, and pecans and mix just until combined.
    Using a small ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop 2-inch mounds of dough onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with a damp hand. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned. Transfer the cookies to a baking rack and cool completely.
    Cookie baker and cake decorator

This probably comes too late, but here is another possibility.

"Saucer Size Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
    1/2 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. baking soda
    3 c. old fashioned oatmeal
    2 large eggs
    3/4 t. salt
    1 t. vanilla extract
    14 T (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
    2 T vegetable oil
    1 c. granulated sugar
    1 c. packed light brown sugar
    1 1/2 t. cinnamon
    1 1/2 c. raisins

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and oatmeal in a medium bowl. Beat eggs, salt and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix butter, oil, and sugars in a large bowl. Stir in egg mixture until smooth. Stir in flour mixture, then stir in raisins.

Using a 2-3 T spring action ice cream scoop, scoop 6 balls onto each of the cookie sheets. (You might want to squish them down just a tad.) Bake until golden brown, 12 - 15 minutes. (Don’t let cookies get too brown — I like to remove mine when they still look a bit undercooked in the center.) Let cool on cookie sheets, 2- 3 minutes, then transfer to wire racks."

As found on Thimbleanna blog. (Except for maybe a special occasion I would make normal sized, certainly not 6", cookies.)
    Pinterest recipe instruction: "2 Pita Pockets cut in half length-wise". Actually, I cut mine crosswise - I'm such a rebel.

I think the recipe I use came from the CL boards -- it's called "Mom's" best cookie or something like that. Sorry I don't have it handy, but maybe do a search with "mom" and "oatmeal" in the search. The raisins are plumped in the eggs. Very very good.

Lots of good recipes to try Thanks Alicia for the suggestion of adding dried cranberries. I love everything combining cranberries & oranges so that would be great in my all-time-favorite recipe - as substitute for raisins. Sorry for posting this again but it IS my favorite.

Oatmeal Cookies
    Adapted from Andy's Oatmeal Cookies
    Yield: 48 cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 tablespoon grated orange peel
    1 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    3/4 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Into a small bowl sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and grated orange peel; stir in flour mixture and oats until combined well. (Use hand-held mixer up to this step.) Stir in raisins and pecans using a wooden spoon. Refrigerate.

Working with a small portion of dough at a time, arrange 12 tablespoons of dough on each of 4 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. (Roll into balls with your hands!) Lightly flatten with a fork.

Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets 1 minute and transfer with a metal spatula to racks to cool completely. Cookies keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.

NOTE: After reading reviews of the Gourmet recipe I've decreased the amount of butter and added grated orange peel. Because of personal preference I omitted the nutmeg and used a mix of raisins and chopped pecans in place of coconut.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Quote Originally Posted by Donna P View Post
    I think the recipe I use came from the CL boards -- it's called "Mom's" best cookie or something like that. Sorry I don't have it handy, but maybe do a search with "mom" and "oatmeal" in the search. The raisins are plumped in the eggs. Very very good.
    haha, i'd rather plump them in whiskey!