Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP! How do you use a gravy separator?

HELP! How do you use a gravy separator?

Hello all you helpful cooks out there...

How the heck do you use one of those things? I made gravy tonight from a roasted chicken, poured the drippings into the separator (it has a strainer on top). I saw the fat rise to the top. Now aren't you supposed to be able to just pour the fat out of the spout? When I tried this, all the good stuff came out too ...are you supposed to wait a while before you do this? Help! I wanted to be able to master this thing before I make the big bird for thanksgiving and have my in-laws here!!!! Thanks!!!:

The one I have lets the fat rise to the top so you actually pour out the good stuff to another container. Then you discard the fat. You might want to wait about 5 minutes before you try, but that should be plenty of time. Mine looks like a pitcher and the spout extends to the bottom of the container ... thus the good stuff evacuates from the bottom and the fat stays on top. Is this what you have?

Nirak, I think yours sounds better than mine, mine looks like a measuring cup with a spout. I think I should look for another one before I try gravy again! Thanks for your response!

keeganm: I also have the same kind of gravy separator you do. It is confusing as to how it works. I was watching a food show on TV and the host was using the same kind we have. The fat does come out first, followed by the "good " juices. The trick is pouring very slowly or you'll lose all of it. I let it set for maybe 3 minutes , then pour. Pour slow and stop when the clear liquid is out. The clear stuff is the fat. Hope this helps!