Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And another what's cookin this weekend

And another what's cookin this weekend

I am so uninspired. I thought we'd cook out tonight, buut the temp took a 17 degree nose dive. The hub says something warm for this temperature drop. Braised short ribs, maybe.

And you?

Oh yum - short ribs sound good. I'm probably not much inspiration but tonight I'll probably make tortilla pizzas - super easy and really good. DH loves them.

Tomorrow I'm going to make the Black Bean Chipotle Dip from Fine Cooking that Apricot posted on the Cinco de Mayo thread. I'm going to serve it as a main course with tortilla chips and margaritas.

Then on Sunday I'll surprise DH with Tater Tot casserole. I know, not what you'd call fine cooking but he loves it and I don't think I've made it in over a year.

Not sure what else I'll be cooking up. I'm going to get Maria Vollstedt's Big Book of Casseroles from the library and maybe make a couple of things from it to get us through the week.

Don't know why I'm in such a casserole mood. Guess because they're easy to throw together and the leftovers are good if not better than the first go 'round.

McGee, the chicken and rice casserole[I think that's the name] is very good.

A few things planned for me this weekend. Tonight was DS#1's meal request in honor of his b-day which is next Tuesday (#16!!!!). He wanted mussels in a cream sauce. I made mussels steamed in wine with garlic and shallots and finished with some fresh herbs, chopped plum tomatoes, and a bit of half and half over pasta with garlic bread. He loved it.

For the weekend: a batch of chicken stock in the pressure cooker with the chicken that I got for 69 cents/#. Gotta love a bargain. The soup for the weekend is Ribollita from a recent Eating Well (with my modifications, of course). For Cinco De Mayo, I am making a tried a true in our house, Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchilada Casserole, but with a new twist this time. I'll have to see if it works.

I also have a batch of bialy dough in the fridge that I need to bake up this weekend and a surplus of cukes so may make a marinated cuke and onion salad if I get time. That's it for me.

Karen

ETA: Making a pumpkin pie again per DS#1's request as his b-day dessert for his big day this Tuesday.

We had Crab Cakes from the Williams Sonoma website and Raw Baby Kale Salad with Apples, Sunflower Seeds & Lemon-Dijon Vinaigrette from Kalyn's Kitchen blog last night for dinner. Both were fantastic! Tonight it's basic tacos and chips and salsa. Tomorrow it's dinner out! Not a big cooking weekend for me.

Baking for coffee hour tomorrow: gluten-free blueberry streusel muffins and vegan blueberry buckle. Baking for a Cinco de Mayo party tonight: Key Lime Cupcakes. Making dinner to take over my parents' house tomorrow: Slow-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce with Ground Meat (from The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook). Started off today with a trip to the farmers' market and then a breakfast of buttermilk pancakes and sausage. This weekend is good!

I'll probably be eating out tonight. For tomorrow, I'd planned on making Pork Pizzaioli with Peppers (my own recipe, so I wouldn't even have been able to claim it for this week's "P" game), but I didn't see any really nice pork at the market today, so I may make it with tofu instead. Hmm ... maybe I could call it "Pizzaioli Tofu" and grab the "P" point anyway ... nah, it would still be my own recipe.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Batch of lemon pesto, batch of hummus, pot of vegan minestrone. We'll see what Sunday brings!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

This is our big social weekend -- eating out Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday! But I did make some lemon bars for tonight's Cinco de Mayo party at church!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    I'll probably be eating out tonight. For tomorrow, I'd planned on making Pork Pizzaioli with Peppers (my own recipe, so I wouldn't even have been able to claim it for this week's "P" game), but I didn't see any really nice pork at the market today, so I may make it with tofu instead. Hmm ... maybe I could call it "Pizzaioli Tofu" and grab the "P" point anyway ... nah, it would still be my own recipe.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Your right.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Your right.
    But........... I do love PORK

Hubby is off to the prom, so I get to make SHRIMP! Here's the recipe from CL 5-12. It sounds good and looks good. I don't have edemame[sp] or sugar snap peas. My store doesn't have either.

Here ya go.

Shrimp Fried Rice Photo by: Photo: José Picayo
    Shrimp Fried Rice

This dish is best if you use day-old rice. Cook it and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet to cool completely. Then refrigerate overnight to allow it to lose any excess moisture.

Cooking Light MAY 2012

Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: about 2 cups)
    Hands-on:31 Minutes
    Total:31 Minutes

Ingredients

1 cup broccoli florets
    7 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
    1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
    1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
    1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    1 cup cooked long-grain white rice, chilled
    1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
    12 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
    1 1/2 cups frozen edamame, thawed
    1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 teaspoon Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
    1/4 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onions

Preparation

1. Steam broccoli 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside. Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan. Add bell peppers and sugar snap peas to pan, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Place vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add ginger, and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add rice, and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Remove rice mixture from pan, and add rice to bowl with the vegetable mixture.

2. Wipe the pan with paper towels. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp; stir-fry 1 minute. Add edamame; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and Sriracha; bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until liquid thickens slightly. Add vegetable mixture and green onions; stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Serve immediately.
    Edit ZIP/Local Stores

Neighbor friend took DH and I shrimping....freshest EVER shrimp for shrimp scampi tonight (shiritake noodles to stay low carb).
    YUUUUUUUUUUUUM.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

We did Eva's Ma Po Tofu last night. Portobella mushroom Greek "burgers" tonight.

I've got a piece of pork belly (freezer clean-out) dry brining to be slow-roasted with smoke for tomorrow. I'm not sure if it will be used in tacos or if I'll do something else with it yet. We'll see how it inspires us

Michelle

Must have been a good week for bargains. I'm cooking up some chickens and ground turkey I found on sale.

I actually cooked the two chickens in the pressure cooker yesterday, so today am turning them into casseroles for the week ahead. I have a chicken tetrazzini in the oven, and just grabbed a chicken lasagna recipe from allrecipes to put together later. The ground turkey went into meatloaf.

Looking for some salad/veg recipes to put together for this week. Hopefully I'll get those made later tonight. I want to be done, with kitchen totally cleaned, going into tomorrow. One day of kitchen chaos is enough for me.

Dawna, your post came in at 8:40 and you're doing all that cooking. I'm exhausted just reading it! I know you're enjoying it. Your meals sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Dawna, your post came in at 8:40 and you're doing all that cooking. I'm exhausted just reading it! I know you're enjoying it. Your meals sound great.
    My computer says she posted 9:38 PM last night. But she is in Calif. So, it should be 5:38 or 6:38 her time?

Erin,
    Would you share your recipe for gluten-free blueberry streusel muffins?

TIA
    Julie

Last night we fired up the outdoor pizza oven. We made 3 pizzas when the oven was really hot. Then when it had cooled down a little we put in 2 strombolis; and then when it cooled down a little more, we put in a pork and fennel stew and let it cook all night. The stew is for dinner tonight, and we have lots of pizza and stromboli leftovers to have for lunch the next few days.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

GC-I'm just a teensy bit jealous of your oven! Did you build it or buy it?

We had it built - it is a a brick oven / outdoor fireplace combo with a stone counter in between. One of those toys DH had to have. But we enjoy it. If I knew how to post pictures I'd post a picture of it.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    We had it built - it is a a brick oven / outdoor fireplace combo with a stone counter in between. One of those toys DH had to have. But we enjoy it. If I knew how to post pictures I'd post a picture of it.
    I think I would use and love this. How hard was it learning how to use it? I've read they need to heat up for a few hours before baking anything. Is this true? I'm not sure if I'm that much of a planner
    ~JW~

I bought one of those enormous tubs of spring green salad from Costco and have had the same fab salad for 3 lunches now. Spring greens with toasted almonds, Gorgonzola, and sautéed prosciutto and a vinaigrette. Yum.

I am feeling very guilty that I have not been making too many "nicer" meals like y'all have mentioned here, lately. I guess I have not had as much time to plan, plus the kiddies being somewhat picky eaters, plus DH's low-carb diet means I get a headache when it is time to shop for dinner ideas. Been doing too many boring T&T meals, plus a smattering of those days where the kids heat up leftovers or make quick pasta before running out to activities.

I need to get back on track!
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

SweetTooth--Have to admit it is just a back of the box recipe. I bought Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free Baking Mix and figured I would try the recipes on the back of the box first since they were designed for the mix. I made a banana bread first (eh, OK taste, gummy texture) and then these muffins. Also, sorry, I cannot vouch for them--in the hustle and bustle I forgot to test one. They were gone by the end though and I heard no complaints. Still want me to type it up?

Testing to see if I could post a picture.

Other than a little large - SUCCESS! Our pizza oven.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    Other than a little large - SUCCESS! Our pizza oven.
    I bet we are all jealous. I know my DH wants one of those. I said sure as long as we get the rest of the outdoor kitchen and a wooden decking. . Then he says it is too hot here in Boca.

I am so jealous!!! It's beautiful! Enjoy! And I'm still jealous!!

Let us know how your pizza comes out!

The pizza comes out wonderful! The other night when this picture was taken we did 12 pizzas! My favorite was the pizza with carmelized onion and asiago w/ rosemary and olive oil cheese. YUMMMMM!

Beautiful! Just curious can you bake bread in there or is there a different type of oven that would be used?
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child