Community Message Boards

Thread: Fiddleheads

Fiddleheads

Oh yum. Fiddlehead season is with us. Friends just came back from Rochester with rave reviews. I always ask my sister and son in CT to keep an eye out for me.

Here is my favorite recipe:
    Tetes De Violon a L'ail
    (Garlic-Flavoured Fiddleheads)

Yield: 4 servings

1 lb Fiddleheads; fresh
    2 Shallots; finely chopped
    1 tb Soya sauce
    1/4 c Butter
    1 ts Sugar, granulated
    6 Garlic cloves;finely chopped
    3 tb White wine

Shake fresh fiddleheads in a paper bag until brown skins come off; discard skins. Steam fresh or frozen, unthawed, fiddleheads until just tender. Meanwhile, heat butter in heavy frying pan and saute garlic and shallots until softened. Blend in soya sauce, sugar and wine. Add steamed fiddleheads, turning to coat them well in sauce. Serve at once. SERVES:4

Quote Originally Posted by RiverFarm View Post
    Just be careful; I have heard that bracken ferns are carcinogenic, and ostrich ferns can cause other problems:

http://www.elements.nb.ca/theme/ethn...perils/jim.htm
    Thanks for the article. Will be sure to cook them thoroughly.

Are these available at the market, or do you harvest them yourself?

Lucky you! They are nearly impossible to find around here, and I don't even know that I've seen them on menus. Great sounding recipe
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by vbak View Post
    Are these available at the market, or do you harvest them yourself?
    I got them in a supermarket in New Haven, CT and a friend just found them in Rochester, NY. I think it is only in the north east.

Thanks, Marge.

A while ago I found a nursery online that would mail you fresh fiddleheads AT A PRICE. Forget about it.
    I love the ingredients for the sauce and have decided to find the closest veggie to substitute-- mushrooms? asparagus?

That sauce looks tasty, margeslp - thanks for posting. I'll have to see if I can find any more fiddleheads to try it (asparagus would be good too). We've got edible fiddleheads in our yard and along the farm lane and bush beside us, but they'll soon be done. There are lots of fiddleheads in grocery stores near us.
    Cheers! Andy

Quote Originally Posted by hAndyman View Post
    That sauce looks tasty, margeslp - thanks for posting. I'll have to see if I can find any more fiddleheads to try it (asparagus would be good too). We've got edible fiddleheads in our yard and along the farm lane and bush beside us, but they'll soon be done. There are lots of fiddleheads in grocery stores near us.
    Andy, I am jealous. Where do you live? I came rushing in to my sister's house in CT to say I had discovered fiddleheads in her front yard. Apparently all ferns start that way. And I was so excited!

I'm about 8 hours (I had relatives living in Old Greenwich) northwest of you near Ottawa. Your sister is lucky if they are the right variety for eating. If they are I hope you warn her to not harvest all of them - leave some to mature so they thrive for next year.
    Cheers! Andy

Quote Originally Posted by hAndyman View Post
    I'm about 8 hours (I had relatives living in Old Greenwich) northwest of you near Ottawa. Your sister is lucky if they are the right variety for eating. If they are I hope you warn her to not harvest all of them - leave some to mature so they thrive for next year.
    Actually, those weren'y fiddleheads in the front yard. Guess all ferns start with that fascinating shape.

I will try recipe with asparagus. I think of fiddleheads as more delicate in taste, but we certainly enjoy stir-fry asparagus with Asian flavors so this should be fine.

Fiddleheads for dinner tonight. I'd heard that braken ferns were toxic but hadn't heard that ostrich ferns could cause problems.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Lucky you! They are nearly impossible to find around here, and I don't even know that I've seen them on menus. Great sounding recipe
    They had some at Sigona's a couple of weeks ago - ramps too. might still have them!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

We also had dandelion greens and devil's club buds - I hope nobody has found bad news about those greens. It wouldn't be spring without dandelion greens. I've never eaten ramps - I don't think they are a west coast delicacy.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by oct2189 View Post
    They had some at Sigona's a couple of weeks ago - ramps too. might still have them!
    Sigona's? Did you perhaps mention this store once before? Name doesn't sound familiar but I do recall someplace near you that sounded excellent.
    Only place I've ever seen ramps is at the mushroom shop in the Ferry Building.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I have never had the opportunity to eat fiddleheads, but isn't this the most beautiful salad?

"I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

Sigona's? Did you perhaps mention this store once before? Name doesn't sound familiar but I do recall someplace near you that sounded excellent.
    Only place I've ever seen ramps is at the mushroom shop in the Ferry Building.
    Here's a memory jogger:

Quote Originally Posted by oct2189 View Post
    . Over to Sigona's, a large produce market full of local and imported produce and specialty foods, to buy tons of the best veggies and artisinal chocolate.
    Of course I had to Google Sigona's - I wanna go!! Which location is better?
    I just lightly steamed the fiddleheads then sauteed them with the ramps and s&p - really delicious (and new to me)!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by LeaHamm View Post
    I have never had the opportunity to eat fiddleheads, but isn't this the most beautiful salad?

Thanks for sharing. That is shockingly gorgeous.