Community Message Boards

Thread: Enchiladas with restricted diet

Enchiladas with restricted diet

Do you have any recipes that are:
    use corn tortillas
    have no tomato sauce (but can have chopped tomatoes)

Been bringing gluten-free dishes to sick neighbor and would love to make enchiladas but need to avoid tomato sauce because of irritable bowel syndrome.

Of course for myself I would love a tomato sauce but could add that tom my portion.

Well ... authentic enchildadas are made with chile sauce, not tomato sauce. En-Chil-ada means basically "chile-fied" to coin a word. There are red chile sauces and green chile sauces. There are also tomatillo sauces, but that may not be acceptable since tomatillos are related to tomatoes. Not sure.

I would visit Rick Bayles's and Jane Butel's web sites for recipes, I'd trust either one. (Rick's will be Mexican, Jane's New Mexican.)
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Here's a good enchilada sauce from Food Travails blog. I think it's a Rick Bayless recipe or adaptation of. I'm made an enchilada sauce by Rick Bayless before that is just slightly different. Neither contain tomato sauce.

These versatile enchiladas are different because of the blend of either red, or green enchilada sauce with sour cream and cream cheese. Using beef, shredded cooked chicken or turkey, is optional. It makes a lot, and I almost always cut the recipe in half.

Not Etched Into Concrete Baked Enchiladas

2-8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
    1 cup sour cream
    2-10 ounce cans mild red or green chile enchilada sauce {I often use 2 cans chopped green chilies for a half recipe}
    1/4 cup jalapenos, chopped
    2 pounds ground chuck, browned and drained very well
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or sharp cheddar cheese
    1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup black olives. sliced
    8-12 corn, or flour, tortillas
    Garnishes: sliced black olives, chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, chopped green onion, avocado.

Blend cream cheese, sour cream, green, or red, enchilada sauce and jalapenos, set aside.
    Combine ground beef and shredded cheese, set aside.
    Fill tortillas with 1-2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture and 1-2 tablespoons beef mixture. Sprinkle with onions and olives.
    Roll tortillas, place seam-side down in a 9x13x2" baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Cover with the remaining cream cheese mixture.
    Bake, 400 degrees, 30-40 minutes.
    Garnish with choice of olives, tomato, lettuce and green onion, etc.
    My new favorite saying: "Her cooking' was so bad that the flies got together and fixed the hole in her screen door."

My husband found this recipe last summer right after my DD started her gluten free diet. If I remember correctly, they were pretty good.

On a side note - we've discovered that not all corn tortillas are gluten free (we've found some that were made with corn and wheat flour) so make sure to check the ingredients. I'm sure you already knew that, but as the mom of a GF kiddo I've become fanatical about reading labels and sometimes just can't help from reminding people

Enchilada Suizas (from Allrecipes)

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter
    • 2/3 cup chopped Spanish onion
    • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
    • 1 cup chopped green chile peppers
    • 1 clove garlic, minced
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 dash ground cumin
    • 12 (8 inch) corn tortillas
    • canola oil for frying
    • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    • 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
    • 2 cups shredded, cooked chickenbreast meat
    • 1 cup heavycream
    • 1/4 cup chopped green onion
    • 1/2 cup sliced green olives
    • 1 pint cherry tomatoes

Directions

1. Prepare salsa verde: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft. Stir in the flour. Add the broth, then add the chiles, garlic, salt, and cumin. Simmer about 15 minutes to blend flavors, then set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.)
    2. In a heavy skillet, lightly fry tortillas in shallow oil, being careful not to make them too crisp to roll. Combine the cheeses and keep 1/2 cup aside for topping. Dip each tortilla in salsa verde (both sides.) Place 2 heaping tablespoons chicken and about 2 tablespoons cheese down the center of each; roll and place seam side down in a shallow dish.
    3. After all the rolled tortillas are in the dish, spoon additional salsa verde over them and then cover evenly with heavy cream. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture, and with the green onions.
    4. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Serve immediately, garnished with the olives, cherry tomatoes, and with additional salsa on the side.

Thanks for all your recipes. I have put them all in my files.
    What did I do for the neighbors?
    Talked to the husband who doesn't tolerate tomato sauce - salsa fine. Have learned to listen to individual tolerances.

My final meal: an "enchilada bake" that won a blue ribbon at NYS Fair years ago. As basic as it gets next to all your gorgeous recipes but it did the job:

Bag of gluten free tortilla chips
    1 lb. Hamburger
    2 cups chopped onions
    2 T finely chopped garlic
    2 T chili powder
    ½ t. oregano
    ½ t. cumin
    ½ t. red pepper flakes
    ½ t. salt
    ½ cup water
    8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
    1 can sliced black olives
    1 large can crushed tomatoes
    1 jar salsa sauce
    2 cups cooked kidney beans

Cook hamburger in skillet until pink and crumbled. Drain fat. Return to skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add seasonings and water and simmer until flavors combined.

Line lasagna pan with layer of salsa mix. Cover with tortilla chips. As with lasagna, repeat these layers: 1/3 kidney beans, meat sauce, tomatoes, black olives, cheese, chips. Repeat ending with final layer of tortilla chips. Top with remaining salsa sauce and cheddar cheese. Bake in 350 oven until heated through – 30-45 min.

If I may share: my neighbor that I wanted this recipe for is homebound and now having to retire early. Her church has a wonderful online calendar where you can sign up to visit. We spent 3 hrs. and together made cream of broccoli soup and muffins (she planned) and then they knew I had the enchilada bake. My visit makes an easy hit on dividing the labor for cookng

My plan is do a weekly dish that is fun to make. Have now done rice, potatoes and corn-based gluten free casseroles. Plan to go Asia next. Will ask them for a recommendation.

Yum - looks like good ol' comfort food to me