Community Message Boards

Thread: Chicken tenderizer?

Chicken tenderizer?

Has anyone ever heard of. or used, this tenderizing method? (I have always used a different recipe which describes Three Teacup marinade as equal parts of soy sauce, sugar and rice vinegar.) I haven't tried this one, the recipe and cook's notes are the author's, not mine.

Leah

"Three Tea Cup Chicken Recipe (三杯鸡)

1 lb. chicken (I used chicken drumsticks)
    6 slices peeled ginger
    6 cloves garlic (skin peeled)
    2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
    1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
    1 1/2 tablespoon dark sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
    A big bunch of Thai basil leaves
    1 tablespoon baking soda (to tenderize the chicken, optional)
    Method:
    Cut the chicken into pieces and marinate them with baking soda. Set aside for 10 minutes before rinsing the chicken off with water. Make sure the baking soda is completely rinsed off. Pat dry the chicken pieces and set aside.
    Heat up a claypot on high heat and add the dark sesame oil. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until aromatic. Add in chicken and do a few quick stirs. Add soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and continue to stir-fry the chicken. Cover the chicken and lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add basil leaves and stir well with the chicken, dish out and serve immediately.

Cook’s Notes:
    This recipe calls for dark sesame oil, which is different from regular sesame oil. Dark sesame oil is a lot more expensive but the flavor is more intense and with a stronger toasted sesame fragrance.
    You can skip the first step of tenderizing the chicken with baking soda. I personally like it because it makes the chicken so tender.
    If you don’t have a clay pot, you can use a regular wok to make this dish."
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

I have used a marinade like you posted, but no wine, and I use dark brown sugar. It is flavorful. I usually use legs and thighs, and they go on the grill.

I've always used brown sugar, rice wine and soy sauce. I always keep a bottle pre-mixed in the refrigerator. I was wondering if anyone had ever tenderized chicken with baking soda and if they had noticed enough difference, to recommend it. If it really works, I would probably do it a lot

Leah
    "I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes, and six months later, you have to start all over again." - Joan Rivers.

I guess I missed the gist of your post. I have never used baking soda to tenderize chicken. I use a buttermilk brine and other ingredients to tenderize legs and thighs, but I don't think that would work for a stir fry.

By the way, welcome to the boards!:] It's nice to have new posters.

Thank you for noticing! I had hesitated to introduce myself because everyone assumes all new posters are spammers.