Community Message Boards

Thread: Question For The Cheese Experts

Question Question For The Cheese Experts

The radishes in my garden are ready to pull and enjoy! We're having company next weekend, and I have this idea for a lunch. I want to make or buy baguettes, slice them in half, smear with a touch of butter and garlic, a layer of cheese, and then toast under the broiler to be served with freshly sliced radishes and an assortment of salts. The salts will be Sea Salt, Grey Salt and a Smoked Salt.

The radishes have a nice bite to them this year- they're really perfect. What cheese would you use to make this open faced sandwich? Or what cheeses? I wouldn't mind making a few different varieties.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I am no cheese expert,but if it were me, I would use mild cheeses so that the radishes and cool butter can be showcased.

Are you planning on wedges to taste or ??

Gouda, fresh Mozz. and maybe even a dry-jack.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I would want something mild but with good flavor and either soft or semisoft. I think crescenza would be good, or carmody. I had a buffalo brie (!) last year that I bet would be good.
    Have you had Lamb Chopper? It's a Dutch cheese made with sheep's milk, much firmer than the others but I think it would be good though I haven't had it in a long time.
    If it were me I'd ask the cheesemonger for recommendations and taste away!

ETA: until I saw wallycat's post I forgot about the butter - crescenza and buffalo brie would be too much with butter, but the Lamb Chopper would still work, maybe Abbaye de Belloc, which is also a nice sheep's milk cheese with great flavor but wouldn't compete with the others. I've never had it heated, though, and that might change the flavor.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I will probably serve the cheese in wedges in addition to the slices toasted on the baguette.

The simple toast with radishes would be ample lunch in my book, but my meat-n-potatoes family that is coming will not think so, so I will need to bulk it up with additional cheese offerings, and I'll have to pick up a nice sausage or ham as well.

I'm writing all these suggestions down, and we'll see what luck I have finding one or two! Unfortunately, the fromagerie is too far of a drive for me to make this week, or I would head there. No doubt they have the Lamb Chopper, which sounds wonderful! I'll be making a note to hunt that down.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

You also might want to make radish sandwiches. They're supposed to be devine. I think I recall a "recipe" for them in "A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen" but I'm not at home to check. Here's one from Epicurious: Open Face Butter and Radish Sandwiches. I've been dying to try them - just need to find good radishes.

This isn't a sandwich but it's a really refreshing starter or appetizer. Radishes, feta cheese squares and fresh basil leaves. We had this at a Persian restaurant and really liked it. Take a bit of each in one bite.