Community Message Boards

Thread: Bye-bye Shrimp, for two months at least

Bye-bye Shrimp, for two months at least

It was announced today that beginning 5/15/12 the Texas Gulf would be closed to shrimping from the coast out 200 miles until at least 7/15/12 to allow the shrimp to grow to a better size. I'm sure glad I grilled shrimp Saturday. I do understand that this is the best practice for both sustainable fishery goals and the shrimping industry but I will miss my summer shrimp a lot.

Thanks for letting us know.

Ah, the future of our food chain....running out..due to our own carelessness or populations.

We went shrimping for pacific northwest shrimp....does not compare to gulf shrimp but still yummy!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

There's plenty of shrimp next door in Louisiana. They should be coming fresh to a seafood market near you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    There's plenty of shrimp next door in Louisiana. They should be coming fresh to a seafood market near you soon.

Until the Asian tiger shrimp wipe 'em out.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ico/54816844/1

They (Asian shrimp) are in Georgia's coastal waters too.

Hi, would someone mind giving me the new shrimp update?

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi, would someone mind giving me the new shrimp update?
    Dates vary from year to year. Are you looking for a Florida update?

The last time I looked, everything was imported, farm-raised or frozen. We don't cook them at home very often since our son is allergic.

Looks like the Texas season opened on July 12.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...?req=20120703b

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Dates vary from year to year. Are you looking for a Florida update?
    No, just what the op posted. Wondering if she got her bigger shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    No, just what the op posted. Wondering if she got her bigger shrimp

Yup, and they are yummy! Not that there was anything wrong with those Louisiana shrimp Gumbeaux recommended; I didn't even need any extra oil to cook them in.

Last weekend we had an estimated 1 million fish die off Galveston from red tide and wash ashore. The shrimpers rushed to assure us that their catch is safe to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    The last time I looked, everything was imported, farm-raised or frozen. We don't cook them at home very often since our son is allergic.
    Beth, in Kentucky they raise fresh water shrimp. If it is the iodine that is your son's problem, perhaps your local supermarket can get them in frozen for you.

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

We made Pad Thai yesterday with our local South Carolina shrimp and they are so full of flavor compared to the "cardboard" Asian variety from the supermarket. I just refuse to buy the nonAmerican brands anymore. I either drive down to the wharf and get them directly from the boats or buy them at our local Farm Store. The flavor is worth the cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol SC View Post
    We made Pad Thai yesterday with our local South Carolina shrimp and they are so full of flavor compared to the "cardboard" Asian variety from the supermarket. I just refuse to buy the nonAmerican brands anymore. I either drive down to the wharf and get them directly from the boats or buy them at our local Farm Store. The flavor is worth the cleaning.
    I agree with you completely. We are so fortunate to be able to get wild caught Gulf Shrimp. My husband's father owned a bay shrimp boat so shrimp in their natural state are no problem here. We actually got a second peeling tool (we call them a shrimp zipper) so we can work together on them. Besides, the heads and shells make a wicked good shrimp stock for the freezer.