Community Message Boards

Thread: A win for the blind!

A win for the blind!

This article is about my good friend who fought very hard for her legally blind child to receive braille instruction at school. I'm so proud of her and her husband for being such passionate advocates for their son.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nation...131300153.html

I support closing the tax loophole for blind people.

It is time they paid their fair share, just like the rest of us.

There are no tax exemptions for the deaf, or other conditions... nor should there be.

They are just "differently-abled" right?
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

^^ This article isn't about paying taxes. It's about public education's obligation to support all students. If a student needs a sign language interpreter, they should have access. Ditto for all the other things kids may need, from a classroom aide to speech therapy. Yes it is expensive, but ignorance is more costly
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

But that's boring.

Whether or not blind people deserve to be singled out for special treatment under tax law is more interesting to me.

And the fact that tax law is more interesting than this article says something in its own right, don't you think?
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Escher View Post
    But that's boring.

Whether or not blind people deserve to be singled out for special treatment under tax law is more interesting to me.

And the fact that tax law is more interesting than this article says something in its own right, don't you think?
    May I suggest then, that you start a different thread for the topic you believe to be more interesting.

I started this thread to celebrate my friend who has been committed for 3 1/2 years to get her son what he rightly deserves in school. She and her family have been fighting the school board just so that Hank can learn braille. It has been a long, stressful process for them. I met Hank just weeks after they adopted him and he is a bright and intelligent boy who is going to benefit tremendously from being taught braille.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessnc View Post
    May I suggest then, that you start a different thread for the topic you believe to be more interesting.

I started this thread to celebrate my friend who has been committed for 3 1/2 years to get her son what he rightly deserves in school. She and her family have been fighting the school board just so that Hank can learn braille. It has been a long, stressful process for them. I met Hank just weeks after they adopted him and he is a bright and intelligent boy who is going to benefit tremendously from being taught braille.
    Good going girl

Kudos to your friend. Hank is a very lucky kid!
    Chacun à son goût!

Congratulations to your friends for winning after a long and difficult struggle.

And high hopes for a brilliant future for Hank! With parents like these, he's getting a fabulous start.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Thanks, everyone! I'd like to post a link to another article here, an interview with my friend with a couple of pictures of Hank. She offers some good suggestions toward the end of the article about what parents in similar situations can do. I'm so proud of her. I should mention that she was my mentor back when I was externing as a pastry chef assistant when I was in culinary school. She really is an incredible person.

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/05...nt/#more-71150