Community Message Boards

Thread: Skinny Hummingbird Cupcakes

Skinny Hummingbird Cupcakes

I just love these liners and the cupcakes themselves appear to be quite tasty and healthy. Nice for some kind of fancy tea. I wonder where I could get similar liners?

Skinny Hummingbird Cupcakes
    Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 22 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 197.8 • Fat: 6.5 g • Protein: 3.0 g • Carb: 31.1 g • Fiber: 1.7 g • Sugar: 21.7 g
    Sodium: 284.2 mg

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup sugar (I used raw)
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    2 tbsp oil
    2 large eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 cups mashed ripe bananas
    20 oz can crushed pineapple in juice, drained well
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

For the Frosting:

8 oz 1/3-less fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1 cup powdered sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    22 pecan halves

Directions:

To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.

In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add banana and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients and chopped pecans with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together.

Spoon batter into cupcake tin. Bake at 350° for about 23 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread frosting over the cupcakes once they are cooled. Garnish each cupcake with a pecan half on top.

You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

The cupcakes look good, and the wrappers are very pretty. Wilton's are less expensive than the ones Joyce linked.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Swirl-C...951577-3739948
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

How lovely! Another good stocking stuffer

I love skinnytaste.com recipes. I haven't tried these, but her chocolate chip banana muffins are a staple at my house. I'm a Weight Watchers member, and all her recipes have the Points Plus values.

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Thanks for the urls to purchase those darling cupcake holders - $1.00 per holder makes them fit for only a special occasion because I am assuming they are for one use - i.e. not plastic reusable holders.

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    Thanks for the urls to purchase those darling cupcake holders - $1.00 per holder makes them fit for only a special occasion because I am assuming they are for one use - i.e. not plastic reusable holders.
    The ones I have used are paper. I suppose they could be reused if your guests were gentle with them. Also, in case you are not aware, you do not bake the cupcakes or muffins in them . You bake your cupcakes in plain white liners and then place the baked cupcakes in the holders. So they really are for decorative purposes only.

-bug

I'm printing that recipe! Thanks for posting. I do love Hummingbird cake.

I've seen similar cupcake holders at Michael's and at Wal-Mart in the 50 cent range.

Mu cupcake covers arrived yesterday. I bought 3 packs and decided to keep one for myself. I have a bridge party Friday and have had a hard time finding a dessert - this will be a beauty and irresistible

This looks amazing! Thanks for posting, I have to check out this site!

Quote Originally Posted by dcollier View Post
    I haven't tried these, but her chocolate chip banana muffins are a staple at my house. Denise
    I was in the mood for chocolate and had bananas to use up, tried these, and they were great. Will keep them on rotation. I have only tried one other recipe from that site, Pineapple Bliss, these were also very good, have made them several times.