Community Message Boards

Thread: Latest pet food recall: huge list

Latest pet food recall: huge list

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/0...ecalls---2012/

Consolidated list of recalled dry pet food products (as of May 5, 2012):

- Apex Chicken and Rice Dog (40 lb. and 20 lb.) production code ACD0101B32; best by date 24-Jan-2013

- Canidae Dog Dry Dog Food, All Life Stages (All packages sizes; Best before date between December 9, 2011 through January 31, 2012; Production code must have the number "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Canidae Dog Dry Dog Food, Chicken Meal & Rice (All packages sizes; Best before date between December 9, 2011 through January 31, 2012; Production code must have the number "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Canidae Dog Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal & Rice (All packages sizes; Best before date between December 9, 2011 through January 31, 2012; Production code must have the number "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Canidae Dog Dry Dog Food, Canidae Platinum (All packages sizes; Best before date between December 9, 2011 through January 31, 2012; Production code must have the number "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Country Value (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Diamond (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Diamond Naturals (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013; Production codes have a number "3″ in the 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013; Production codes have a number "3″ in the 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013; Production codes have a number "3″ in the 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013; Production codes have a number "3″ in the 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013; Production codes have a number "3″ in the 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013; Production codes have a number "3″ in the 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013; Production codes have a number "3″ in the 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog (5 lb bag; Best by December 12, 2012; December 13, 2012; March 12, 2013)

- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog (15 lb bag; Best by December 12, 2012; December 13, 2012; December 14, 2012; March 5, 2013; March 6, 2013)

- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog (28 lb bag; Best by December 12, 2012; December 13, 2012; December 14, 2012; March 5, 2013; March 6, 2013; March 7, 2013; March 8, 2013; March 12, 2013)

- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog (5 lb, 15 lb, and 28 lb bags; Best by December 10, 2012; December 21, 2012; December 22, 2012)

- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog (5 lb bag; Best by December 17, 2012; December 18, 2012; December 28, 2012; December 29, 2012)

- Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison Dog (15 lb and 28 lb bags; Best by December 9, 2012; December 17, 2012; December 18, 2012; December 28, 2012; December 29, 2012)

- Natural Balance Vegetarian Dog (5 lb bag; Best by December 9, 2012)

- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Large Breed Bites (28 lb bag; Best by December 12, 2012; December 20, 2012; December 21, 2012)

- Natural Balance Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Dog Small Breed Bites (5 lb and 12.5 lb bags; Best by December 21, 2012)

- Premium Edge (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Professional (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- 4Health (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Taste of the Wild (All package sizes and formulas; Best before dates between December 9, 2012 and April 7, 2013; Production codes have a number "2″ or "3″ in the 9th or 10th digit and the letter "X" in the 11th digit)

- Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy (15 lb. and 30 lb. bags and 5 oz. sample bags; best by dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013)

Product distribution by brand (as of May 5, 2012)

Apex

Distributed only in South Carolina

Canidae

Distributed in: Florida, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

Distributed in: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Canada (Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia).

Country Value

Distributed in: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and Canada (Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia).

Diamond

Diamond Naturals

Kirkland Signature

Distributed in: Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

Natural Balance

Distributed in: Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin, West Virginia, Wyoming and Canada.

NOT distributed in: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.

Premium Edge

Professional

4Health

Taste of the Wild

Recalled for salmonella, which will not hurt the dog, only owners who touch the food and do not wash their hands---i think that is what I heard on the national news yesterday.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Oops, wrong info.

Wow, we use Taste of the Wild, but if our state isn't listed under the distribution areas does that mean we're safe? We normally don't keep the bags; we just dump the food into a metal can to guard against pantry moths. So far our dog seems fine, but I'll keep an eye out next time we buy more.
    Chacun à son goût!

Thanks for posting the link, I first saw teh Diamond recall last week and did not give it a thought since my dogs eat Natural balance, and saw from your link it is mfg by Diamond. Luckily CA is not on the recall list, but I am going to switch.

I talked to my vet yesterday and she said the best bet is our local pet store. They will not sell any food that is mfgrd by Diamond because of many past recalls from them.

She also talked about food like BLue Buffalo that used to be quality product, but how can it now, that is sold at Petsmart, ie changing quality for quantity.

I went onto the Diamond website and discovered that the bag of Taste of the Wild bison that my dog has been eating is among those that are part of the recall. So I called up Tractor Supply, where I bought it, and brought it back with the sales receipt (luckily DH saves those for farm tax purposes) and got a bag of TotW lamb, with safe numbers. I'm not sure what else to buy because I try to avoid grains for my dog; she's a labradoodle and tends to itch a lot, and I think the grain-free diet helps. Anyway we will keep an eye on her for a bit, although I'm not really sure what I'm looking for!
    Chacun à son goût!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post

She also talked about food like BLue Buffalo that used to be quality product, but how can it now, that is sold at Petsmart, ie changing quality for quantity.
    A lot of the natural foods are sold at chain stores. How does that change anything?

A lot of the natural foods are sold at chain stores. How does that change anything?
    My understanding from her comment was now that they are in the big chain, needingt to product more volume they have to be more price competitive hence moving production to large facilities like Diamond that producte many brands and has a history of tainted food.

Again just my take

Laurie

Sounds like you and your vet are making a lot of unfounded assumptions.

Its strange...I've seen several links on this recall. Some list Natural Balance, others do not. The most recent one this morning from my dog trainer did not have any NB on it (and his link went right to the Diamond website).

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Sounds like you and your vet are making a lot of unfounded assumptions.
    Not really. This happened to Iams - what, about 15 years ago? 20? It is hard to keep the same quality standards and produce on a large enough scale for mass distribution. Often suppliers and manufacturers are changed to keep up with production and decrease costs. That can affect the quality of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Shelf life, maybe? One of my dogs eats Life's Abundance, which is shipped directly to me from the manufacture. One thing they boast is that the food was made recently, and that it has less than a year shelf life, which is significantly less compared to the dog foods that are sold in the chain stores. I believe that since it has a shorter shelf life it means they haven't used as many preservatives? I'm not completely certain.

A dog forum I used to visit talked a lot about quality in dog foods. For a while many people there used and recommended Candidae, and then after it became more popular and more widely distributed the formulation changed and some dogs were beginning to have adverse reactions to it. There was an independent site that rated dog foods and they had to keep changing their ratings as formulations changed.
    Chacun à son goût!

Bumping this up because they have new foods to the list Christymarie posted. I see Solid Gold is new.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/0...ecalls---2012/

Laurie