Community Message Boards

Thread: Quick question!

Question Quick question!

Hi all

I need some help here, as I've never made pesto. I have pine nuts, sundried tomatos, fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, chicken tenders, leftover farfalle and a little leftover alfredo sauce.

Whats the best way to put this together?

Quote Originally Posted by JMM74 View Post
    Hi all

I need some help here, as I've never made pesto. I have pine nuts, sundried tomatos, fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, chicken tenders, leftover farfalle and a little leftover alfredo sauce.

Whats the best way to put this together?
    Put great handfuls of fresh basil, and chunked garlic, and a few sun-dried tomatoes into the food processor, and blitz.
    Add some pine nuts, blitz again, then slowly drip in just enough olive oil to make it more of a liquid than a paste.

If you have parmesan, now is the time to add it-- I'd grate it first, grating not too fine. add a little at a time, and stop to taste as you go-- it should be pretty intense. When it tastes good, it's done. Add more garlic, oil or basil as needed.

As for putting the dish together, warm the pasta and chicken (I'd shred that), and toss with a few tablespoons pesto and enough warm water (use a Tbsp at a time, carefully) to make it into a sauce. Or you could warm a a little white wine and use that instead of water to moisten--
    Generally one uses freshly cooked pasta and saves some of the cooking water to toss with the pesto-- starch in the water helps the sauce cling to the pasta, and it make the pesto creamy and lessens its strident notes.
    Last edited by heavy hedonist; 05-09-2012 at 10:37 AM.

I like how you write. "When it tastes good, it's done". LOL! Thats how I usually go about it. Thanks!

Hedonist, I followed your suggestions and it was fantastic!!! The man loved it and nailed it as a do-over/keeper "recipe". Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JMM74 View Post
    Hedonist, I followed your suggestions and it was fantastic!!! The man loved it and nailed it as a do-over/keeper "recipe". Thank you!
    You're welcome-- glad I could help.