Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some recipe ideas using canned chick peas....

Looking for some recipe ideas using canned chick peas....

I have a few cans of chick peas on hand, and I'd like to try some new recipes. Any new favorites or old T&T?

I'm up for any new recipes, but ideally something kind of summery, whether a side, a main or .... But if you have any type of fav I'd love to see that too.

Of course there is always hummus. In fact, I think I'm going to have have that for lunch tomorrow since I have some great bread, tomatoes, cucumbers ....

Many thanks.

My favorite is Pasta Fagioli, maybe not very summery but we eat it all year round.

PASTA FAGIOLI

¼ CUP OLIVE OIL
    1 ONION CHOPPED
    3 CLOVES GARLIC, CHOPPED
    ¼ TEASPOON CRUSHED RED PEPPER
    2 CANS PEELED TOMATOES
    1 CAN CECI BEANS, DRAINED
    3 CANS LOW FAT LOW SODIUM CHICKEN BROTH
    ½ LB SMALL PASTA (OR MORE IF YOU WANT MORE AS A PASTA THEN A SOUP)
    OREGANO
    SALT
    GRATED PARAMESEN CHEESE

1. IN A LARGE SAUCE PAN HEAT OLIVE OIL, GARLIC AND CRUSHED RED PEPPER OVER MEDIUM HEAT. ADD ONION AND SAUTE FOR 10 MINUTES OR UNTIL ONION IS SOFT
    2. ADD THE TOMATOES BREAKING THEM UP WITH YOUR HAND. COOK THE TOMATIOES FOR 10 MINUTES AND ADD SALT.
    3. ADD THE BEANS AND HEAT FOR 3 MINUTES.
    4. ADD THE CHICKEN BROTH AND BRING TO A LOW BOIL.
    5. ADD THE PASTA AND COOK FOR 15 MINUTES
    6. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND LET STAND FOR 10 MINUTES.
    7. SERVE WITH CHEESE. ENJOY!!!

Last night I served Texas Caviar from a Penzeys recipe. We loved that too. I use Trader Joe's roasted corn. Today I plan on adding some avocado and having it for lunch.

Ingredients
    Salad:
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 can garbanzo beans
    1 can white northern beans
    1 can black beans
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 lb. corn, cooked or grilled, chilled, 4-6 ears or roughly 3 cups frozen or canned work fine
    1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    Dressing:
    ¼ cup olive oil (1.5oz)
    ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (1.5oz)
    ½ lime juice (1-2 Tbsp.)
    1 tsp. med-hot chili powder or Cajun powder
    Directions
    Cook all of the beans and rinse well. If you are using canned beans, drain well and rinse. Combine in a mixing bowl. Add onion, corn and cilantro, mix well. In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix well. Add dressing to taste. The salad will absorb a lot of the dressing, so you may not want to add it all at once. Mix well, cover and chill overnight. Taste and add extra dressing if desired.

How about hummus. I think it is simple and fast to make make using chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and olive oil.

This post looks like a good recipe.
    Courtesy oct2189

Hummus
    1½ cups dried chickpeas
    1 tablespoon baking soda plus ¼ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ to ½ cup raw (as opposed to roasted) tahini
    1 lemon, juiced
    1-2 garlic cloves
    salt, to taste
    olive oil, to taste
    parsley, to taste
    cumin, to taste

1. Put the chickpeas in a colander and go through them carefully, discarding small stones and broken peas.

2. Wash the chickpeas, and put them in a bowl with enough water to allow them to double in volume. Stir in a tablespoon of baking soda and soak them overnight.

3. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and put them in a large pot. Cover with about 5 cups of water (the water should be about 2 inches above the beans) and add the remaining ¼ teaspoon of baking soda. Bring the water to a boil, turn the heat down, cover, and cook over low heat until the chickpeas are very soft; it should take about two hours. If the water cooks away, add more. Drain, but reserve the cooking liquid.

4. Rub the chickpeas between your fingers under cold running water to remove the skins. Put on some music; it’s a time-consuming process.

5. The chickpeas should be cool now. Put them in a food processor with the garlic, and lemon juice, a quarter cup of the cooking liquid and the tahini. (How much you use will depend on your taste; traditionally you’d use about half a cup, but I find that makes the sesame flavor too dominant for my taste.) Process for 4 or 5 minutes, until it is smooth and creamy, with the dreamy texture of just-made frozen custard. It should be very soft and smooth. If it’s too thick add more liquid. Add salt to taste.

Now’s the fun part. You have just created a lovely canvas. Top it with a glug of good olive oil, some chopped parsley, a smattering of ground cumin. Or toast some pinenuts in butter and top the hummus with that. Add cayenne, zatar, chopped onions or some pomegranate seeds. Be creative, or just revel in the best hummus you’ve ever had on its own."
    The Grill is Open!
    Richmond barbecue

Roasted crunchy chickpeas

1 can chick peas rinsed and drained
    olive oil
    garlic powder
    salt
    pepper
    cayenne pepper
    Put chick peas in zip lock bag and pour a little olive oil on them, just enough to coat them, then add seasonings. Mix well and put on cookie sheet in 400 oven for about 30 - 45 mins or until they are golden and crispy.

2 t. oil – 2
    chickpeas - 1/3 cup (2 oz) /1 = 7.5

Crunchy Paprika Chickpeas, which are part of the interesting feature on paprika in the current "spice rack" section. I'm glad I only did half a recipe, because I could easily have wiped out the whole pan and had to exercise a lot of control as it was! The canned chickpeas are roasted with olive oil til brown, then tossed with coarse salt and paprika, then roasted for just a few minutes more.

We eat this salad frequently during the summer, simple, easy and tastes great. Note: the proportions are for 1 serving, I usually use 2 cans of chickpeas and up everything accordingly.

Chickpea, Cherry Tomatoes and Feta Salad

Everyday Food - Martha Stewart

Ingredients for 1 serving
    1/4 cup canned chickpeas
    1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
    1/4 cup crumbled feta
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Ground pepper

Directions

Rinse and drain chickpeas.

In a bowl, combine chickpeas with tomatoes, feta, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, and a pinch of pepper.

http://www.marthastewart.com/316344/...and-feta-salad

Quote Originally Posted by luvItalian View Post
    My favorite is Pasta Fagioli, maybe not very summery but we eat it all year round.

PASTA FAGIOLI

¼ CUP OLIVE OIL
    1 ONION CHOPPED
    3 CLOVES GARLIC, CHOPPED
    2 CANS PEELED TOMATOES
    OREGANO
    SALT
    GRATED PARAMESEN CHEESE

1. IN A LARGE SAUCE PAN HEAT OLIVE OIL, GARLIC AND CRUSHED RED PEPPER OVER MEDIUM HEAT. ADD ONION AND SAUTE FOR 10 MINUTES OR UNTIL ONION IS SOFT
    2. ADD THE TOMATOES BREAKING THEM UP WITH YOUR HAND. COOK THE TOMATIOES FOR 10 MINUTES AND ADD SALT.
    Absolutely try luvItalian's Pasta Fagioli recipe. This is the same recipe my mom used to make on meatless Friday's when I was a kid. Lots of memories for me every time I make it. Just as good the next day, too.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

Two of my tasty faves:

from the rebar restaurant cookbook

Bombay Hummus

1/4 c. canola oil
    1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 540 ml (19 oz) can chickpeas
    1/4 c. cashews, roasted
    juice of 1 lime
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 t salt
    1 t ground cumin
    1 t ground coriander
    1/2 t cracked pepper
    1/4 t cayenne
    pinch turmeric
    pinch cinnamon
    2 T chopped cilantro
    2 T chopped mint

Gently heat the oil and ginger in a small saucepan. Let the ginger sizzle, but not brown. After about 10 mins, remove from heat and set aside to cool. Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Combine all ingredients (including ginger and oil) in a food processor or blender, and pulse to blend. Blend to a rough purée and season to taste. Ideally, let it sit in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before adjusting the seasoning, since the flavours will develop over time. Serve cold or at room temp with whole wheat pita.

Andy’s notes: Don’t heat the oil too much before adding the ginger (add 1 piece of ginger to oil when starting and add the rest when it just starts to sizzle and turn heat down as necessary - keep the ginger bubbling away GENTLY so it doesn’t brown. When it’s time to remove the ginger from the heat I add, at once, all of the spices (mix them in a small bowl first) and the minced garlic and cook them for 15 to 30 seconds while stirring before removing from heat and cooling a bit. Don’t be afraid to add more or less of each of the spices (and herbs) as you see fit. Add water (or more lime juice, tasting for balance) to thin the hummus to desired consistency.

rebar uses this hummus in a wrap with some tomato chutney and carrot, lettuce, and cucumber with some raita on the side.

After reading many recipes for balila I put this down on paper to make my own version, tried it and loved it garnished with the extra cumin, some diced tomato and cucumber from the garden. Sweet red pepper and red onion should be good too, and maybe some Swiss chard or spinach might also be nice in it, on it or under it.

Balila, a chickpea salad

1 clove garlic, mashed with 1/2 tsp salt (less salt if garnishing with some feta)
    1 or 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
    2 to 4 Tbs lemon juice
    2 or 3 Tbs olive oil
    19 oz can of chickpeas
    a slice of onion or 1 or 2 green onions, sliced
    1/2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced, or some cayenne or ground hot chilies, optional

Garnishes: cucumber, tomato, parsley, fresh coriander, mint, red onion, sweet red pepper, toasted pine nuts, feta, etc.

In a medium bowl mix the garlic, salt, half the cumin, lemon juice and olive oil. Add chickpeas and liquid in can to a pot and heat on the stove to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer, covered, for 10 min. Remove and drain, saving liquid (to add to the dressing if some is desired). Add the warm chickpeas to the dressing and stir to coat. Add onion and jalapeno and mix. Garnish with the rest of the cumin, some chopped tomato, cucumber, parsley, and/or some feta. Other garnishes include toasted pine nuts or chopped mint. Serve with pita.

I like it with lots of cumin and served warm, eaten with a fork and a piece of bread or pita.
    Cheers! Andy

I LOVE the roasted crunchy chickpeas. Been discussed here a few times, originally came from Everyday Food mag.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I love chickpeas! The first recipe that came to my mind is similar to the roasted chickpeas recipe above.

SPICY TOASTED GARBANZO BEANS AND PISTACHIOS

2 15 1/2-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
    1/4 cup corn oil
    1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 cup shelled raw pistachios
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves

Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss garbanzo beans with next 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Transfer mixture to rimmed baking sheet. Bake until garbanzos are golden and crisp, stirring occasionally with metal spatula, about 20 minutes. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature.)
    Stir pistachios and thyme into garbanzo mixture. Bake until beans and pistachios are crunchy, about 12 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl and serve warm.

Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Bon Appétit
    February 2003

Quote Originally Posted by bbqethusiast View Post
    How about hummus. I think it is simple and fast to make make using chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt and olive oil.

This post looks like a good recipe.
    Courtesy oct2189
    Oh, a recipe from the future.

Yum. Have pistachios in cupboard and sounds like catharine's recipe is a must do.

I know I have said this before. My son and DIL are vegetarians and I often serve hummus for appetizer to assure balanced intake when I am the cook or bring food to their house.

I am not so excited about traditional hummus, but this southwestern recipe is awesome:

Green Chile Hummus
    2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans
    Juice of 2 limes
    1/4 c olive oil
    2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chilies, drained
    Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp cumin
    6 minced garlic cloves

Combine beans, lime juice, and oil, and process in a food processor until
    smooth. Or, if you're like me, and like texture in your hummus, mash beans with
    a potato masher, and stir in the remaining ingredients. Chill for an hour to allow flavors to make friends.

Wonton Crisps
    1/2 pkg wonton wrappers
    4 tbsp butter, melted
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    pepper

Lay wrappers on a baking sheet. Brush with garlic butter, top with freshly
    ground pepper, and bake in a 375 degree oven for 5-6 minutes, until crispy.

This is just part of the recipe. It is for a Cuban Antipasto. If anyone wants the whole recipe, let me know.

Marinated Chick Peas

3 TB lemon juice
    3 TB lime juice
    3 TB orange juice
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 tsp cumin
    1 large tomato, finely chopped
    2 TB chopped cilantro
    2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    salt to taste

Combine all ingredients but chick peas in a nonreactive container. Add chick peas and stir to combine. Cover and let marinate 2 hours or more.

Source: Memories of a Cuban Kitchen-Mary Urrutia Randelman-Sun Sentinal-March 1993

Here are a couple of my faves.

Mediterranean Chickpea, Tomato, and Pasta Soup
    Cooking Light OCTOBER 1998

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
    .Ingredients
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup diced onion
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 (16-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 cup uncooked ditalini (very short tube-shaped macaroni)
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    Preparation
    Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add the water and next 6 ingredients (water through tomatoes). Bring mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pasta, and cook 9 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in chopped parsley.

Tabbouleh with Beans and Feta
    Cooking Light JULY 2000

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups salad and 2 pita halves)
    .Ingredients
    1 1/4 cups uncooked bulgur or cracked wheat
    2 cups boiling water
    1/4 cup commercial pesto
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
    4 (7-inch) pitas, cut in half
    Preparation
    Combine the bulgur and boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes, and drain. Combine pesto and lemon juice; stir with a whisk. Combine bulgur, pesto mixture, tomatoes, and next 5 ingredients (tomatoes through chickpeas) in a large bowl; and toss gently to combine. Serve with pita halves.
    Cheryl-If I was organized, I'd be dangerous.

A big, big thank you everyone. The recipes look great. I can't wait to try some out.

Question on the roasted chick peas --- do you have to eat them basically right away, or can you store the leftovers? Or are they so good and tempting -- its a non issue.

Now to decide what to try first. Time to check the ingredients I have on hand.

Thanks again. This board is great!

This recipe said it would be good with chickpeas. I was searching on radishes because ours are ready and I hit on this. I like salads like this now that it's warm.

Fresh pea salad with radish, tomato and mint

Chickpeas, black-eyed peas, or lady peas could also be used in this salad.

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups fresh pink-eyed peas
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

1 cup thinly sliced radishes (about 8)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Mint sprigs (optional)

Preparation
    Sort and wash peas; place in a small saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above peas; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
    Combine juice, vinegar, and oil in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.
    Combine peas, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Drizzle juice mixture over salad, tossing to coat. Cover and chill. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
    Charity Ferreira, Cooking Light
    JULY 2007

This one caught my eye also. I have a ton of cilantro to use as well.

Chickpea salad with cilantro dressing

2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 garlic cloves
    2 pickled jalapeño pepper slices
    1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
    1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    12 Boston lettuce leaves $

Preparation
    1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a food processor or a blender; process until well blended. Add chicken broth; pulse until combined.
    2. Combine cucumber, radishes, celery, and chickpeas in a large bowl. Drizzle with cilantro mixture; toss to coat. Arrange lettuce leaves on a platter; spoon chickpea mixture over lettuce.
    Bill Jamison and Cheryl Alters Jamison, Cooking Light
    JULY 2008
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

This is one of our favorites. I've made it a bunch of times and it's great at room temperature or cold. Perfect for summer.
    Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta

• 1 3/4 cups water
    • 1 cup uncooked couscous
    • 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    • 1/3 cup shredded carrot
    • 1/4 cup raisins
    • 1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
    • 1 teaspoon bottled minced fresh ginger
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
    • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese

Preparation

• Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
    • While couscous stands, steam broccoli florets, covered, for 3 minutes or until tender.
    • Combine couscous, broccoli, onion, and next 10 ingredients (onion through chickpeas), tossing gently. Sprinkle with cheese.

From cooking light

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    Yum. Have pistachios in cupboard and sounds like catharine's recipe is a must do.

I know I have said this before. My son and DIL are vegetarians and I often serve hummus for appetizer to assure balanced intake when I am the cook or bring food to their house.

I am not so excited about traditional hummus, but this southwestern recipe is awesome:

Green Chile Hummus
    Juice of 2 limes
    1/4 c olive oil
    1/2 tsp cumin
    6 minced garlic cloves

a potato masher, and stir in the remaining ingredients. Chill for an hour to allow flavors to make friends.

Wonton Crisps
    1/2 pkg wonton wrappers
    4 tbsp butter, melted
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    pepper

I made this last night and we loved it! It will be a staple around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrytx View Post
    I made this last night and we loved it! It will be a staple around here.
    Thanks for input. The first time I made it my son didn't get home early enough to enjoy it. Mom sat there on the couch watching American Idol chomping away, hoping Doughtry would go on. Just have to double recipe

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    This is just part of the recipe. It is for a Cuban Antipasto. If anyone wants the whole recipe, let me know.

Marinated Chick Peas

3 TB lemon juice
    3 TB lime juice
    3 TB orange juice
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 tsp cumin
    1 large tomato, finely chopped
    2 TB chopped cilantro
    2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    salt to taste

Combine all ingredients but chick peas in a nonreactive container. Add chick peas and stir to combine. Cover and let marinate 2 hours or more.

Source: Memories of a Cuban Kitchen-Mary Urrutia Randelman-Sun Sentinal-March 1993
    DH made these last night. Last minute decision. Only had about 45 minutes to marinate. Pretty good, but next time I would use Canola oil and a little bit more lemon and lime juice

We don't usually think of beans for a sweet dessert but I have to tell you that this recipe is to die for. I made it for a friend who has multiple food allergies but everyone at the dinner party had a slice of it. After they oohed and aahed over how delicious it was, I told them the secret ingredient. They couldn't believe it! Even the teenager who dislikes anything even slightly healthy asked for seconds. You have to try this.

I tried to put a photo of it on this comment without success. You can see a photo of it on my blog here.

Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
    • 1 can 15.5 ounce garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 can 15.5 ounce white beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 cup quick cooking oats
    • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    • 3 tablespoons canola oil or other vegetable oil
    • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
    • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
    • 1 cup chocolate chips
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10 inch spring form pan with non stick spray.
    Blend everything except chocolate chips, very well in a food proccesor. This takes a few minutes, it will look like a loose, wet cookie dough. Stir the chips into the batter. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 -45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine took 45 minutes.
    Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cut into 16 wedges. Enjoy!

Yield: 16 servings

Nutritional Information

Per Serving; Calories 228, (calories from fat 24%) Total fat 6.54 g, Sat fat, 2.2g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 181.74mg, Total Carbs 40.52g, Fiber 3.17g, Protein 4.35g WWPP 6
    Note: : If you make 1/4 of the recipe you can put it in a mini springform pan for a baby pie.

Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

Oh this is incredible. Thanks, can't wait to try.

This is an awesome thread. I'm always looking for hot weather salads to throw together to eat at the pool or a quick lunch around doing chores. Thanks for the post and the resulting recipes!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post

Green Chile Hummus
    Juice of 2 limes
    1/4 c olive oil
    1/2 tsp cumin
    6 minced garlic cloves

Wonton Crisps
    1/2 pkg wonton wrappers
    4 tbsp butter, melted
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    pepper

Thank you so much for posting this! DH and I discovered Falafel King's green chile hummus while in Santa Fe last summer. Can't wait to try this recipe

Michelle

The Indian restaurant here has a wonderful salad/pickle/not really sure what it is but everybody loves it on their buffet. I played around for a while trying to duplicate their recipe and just happened to toss some chickpeas in one time and really liked it (and so continue adding them).

I did eventually change the seasonings in the dressing but most people who've asked for the recipe don't want to bother finding the Indian spices, and it's good either way (I made a note at the bottom how I changed the seasoning).

Also feel free to toss in other fruit or veggies. The restaurant's version usually has what's listed below and then anything that's in season. I've seen carrots, celery, strawberries, oranges, cherries, mangoes, watermelon...

Sensational Salad

1 green bell pepper
    1 red bell pepper
    1 onion (red is nice, white works)
    1 cucumber
    cantaloupe
    pineapple
    1 apple (Granny Smith)
    1 peach or nectarine
    grapes, halved (seedless, purple or green, your preference)

2 cups cooked chickpeas (mixed regular and kala channa*)

Dressing
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin
    2/3 cup vinegar
    4 Tbs lime juice
    1/3 cup vegetable oil

Chop or slice all fruits and vegetables (I like to vary the shapes, so I might sliver <julienne> the peppers and onion, dice the apple, buy the mini cucumbers and do half moons, etc). The cantaloupe, pineapple and grapes I don't measure.

Combine dressing ingredients and pour over, mixing well. Refrigerate a couple hours or overnight to blend flavors before serving.

*Kala channa (black chickpeas), from the Indian grocery store. They cook up just like regular chickpeas. You can use all regular and canned,if you'd prefer.

Dressing Notes: After doing some more research, I changed the dressing and I like it better cause it tastes more like what the restaurant serves, but it's good either way.

Eliminate cumin, add 1 1/2 tsp chaat masala (I made my own but you can buy it. I will dig the recipe up and edit this post to add it when i have a minute). Cut salt to 1/2 tsp and add about 1/2 tsp kala namak (Indian black salt).
    For those in touch with it, Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Quote Originally Posted by luvItalian View Post
    I make pasta e fagioli at least once a month. I've never used garbanzos in it, but I will now. Thanks for posting!

I can't believe I forgot about this recipe. Ham posted this back on '09 and I made it 3-1-10. I really loved it, but forgot all about it.

Spiced Chickpea Sauce
    Gourmet August 2009
    by Andrea Albin

yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings

active time: 15 min

total time: 30 min

1 (19-ounces) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    6 black peppercorns
    3 whole allspice
    1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1 small red onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Accompaniment: 1 pound penne, cooked and drained, reserving 1 cup cooking water; lemon wedges

PreparationPurée half of chickpeas with oil, spices, oregano, sugar, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a food processor until almost smooth.

Transfer purée to a large bowl and stir in remaining chickpeas, onion, and herbs.

Toss hot penne with sauce. Thin with some of cooking water.

Thanks everyone for the additional recipes.

Today I had the Chickpea, Cherry Tomatoes and Feta Salad
    (from Everyday Foods) and I really enjoyed it. Love how it calls for ingredients I basically always have on hand. Thanks Ctr264 for posting!

28. Quote Originally Posted by luvItalian View Post

PASTA FAGIOLI

¼ CUP OLIVE OIL
    1 ONION CHOPPED
    3 CLOVES GARLIC, CHOPPED
    2 CANS PEELED TOMATOES
    OREGANO
    SALT
    GRATED PARAMESEN CHEESE

Last night I served Texas Caviar from a Penzeys recipe. We loved that too. I use Trader Joe's roasted corn. Today I plan on adding some avocado and having it for lunch.

Ingredients
    Salad:
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 can garbanzo beans
    1 can white northern beans
    1 can black beans
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 lb. corn, cooked or grilled, chilled, 4-6 ears or roughly 3 cups frozen or canned work fine
    1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    Dressing:
    ¼ cup olive oil (1.5oz)
    ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (1.5oz)
    ½ lime juice (1-2 Tbsp.)
    1 tsp. med-hot chili powder or Cajun powder
    Directions
    Cook all of the beans and rinse well. If you are using canned beans, drain well and rinse. Combine in a mixing bowl. Add onion, corn and cilantro, mix well. In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix well. Add dressing to taste. The salad will absorb a lot of the dressing, so you may not want to add it all at once. Mix well, cover and chill overnight. Taste and add extra dressing if desired.
    best recipe

reported

Ah man a spammer, I was excited to get a couple shout outs.

I am excited to try so many new chick pea recipes, great idea for a post. My kids will eat them like candy.

On a side note, I was just thinking of the different names for chick peas such as garbanzo beans and ceci beans (that is what we called them where I grew up).