Community Message Boards

Thread: Florida avocados have half the fat of Haas avocados

Florida avocados have half the fat of Haas avocados

"Seventy-five percent of the U.S. avocado crop is made up of Haas avocados grown in California. These are the avocados most people in the U.S. are familiar with and are, most likely, the only variety they can even name. But, it turns out there are other varieties of avocados – and one of them even has half the fat of a Haas avocado.

Fuerte avocados are grown in Florida and are actually larger than Haas avocados. Traditional Haas avocados have about 22 ½ grams of fat and 250 calories. The Fuerte varieties have only about 11 grams of fat and 125 calories.

Additional varieties of avocados include Zutano, Bacon and Cocktail. The Cocktail avocados are only one or two ounces each and do not contain the pit found in most other varieties."
    My new favorite saying: "Her cooking' was so bad that the flies got together and fixed the hole in her screen door."

They also have half the flavor ... if that. Give me a Haas!

That's why I only buy Haas avocados (which are actually not easiest to find here); because they are so creamy and luscious!

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    That's why I only buy Haas avocados (which are actually not easiest to find here); because they are so creamy and luscious!
    Exactly!
    Jill

"Be kind to your neighbor... he knows where you live." -Brian Copeland

Floridas Avocados only have half the fat of Haas Avocados

I have one Haas and one Reed avocado tree in my back yard. By any chance to you kow the fat and calorie content of the Reed avocado? Mine weight about 2lb a piece and to much to eat at once. I know that the Reed is higher in the fat content and tastes very buttery when you let them long enough on the tree.

fat=flavor

Ever since WW enouraged the "good fats" the avocado has become on of my no-longer sinful pleasures. I spread it like butter on an English muffin, sprinkle with some onion and garlic powders and am such a happy camper. I order a side of guacamole at restaurants as a wonderful condiment

I grew up in CA, eating Haas…the first time someone fed me a FL avocado, I had a hard time believing it was an avocado!

Only Haas for this California Girl!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Another vote here for the Haas avocado -- even though I'm not from California (or Florida, for that matter). To me, the Florida ones taste like stale water, and the mouth-feel is about the same, but with algae.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

As a Florida gal, I feel like I have to say this. Does this mean that all of you that do not like Florida avocados have tried EVERY VARIETY THAT WE GROW?

The last chart I saw said we grow 26 varieties.
    Last edited by cookieee; 05-20-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    As a Florida gal, I feel like I have to say this. Does this mean that all of you that do not like Florida avocados have tried EVERY VARIETY THAT WE GROW?

Well, cookieee, I have to say that I prefer Florida oranges to California oranges -- so I'm not geographically biased. Maybe the Florida avocado growers just send the icky varieties out of state, huh?

Any Georgians here? May I cast a vote for your peaches, which I prefer even to Ohio peaches? And New Jerseyites, I swoon for your blueberries....

Oops, I think I've hijacked a thread. Should we start another thread about geographical preferences in food?

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Fat is our friend. Fattier avocados are healthier for you!

Maine wild blueberries...MMMMMMMMMMM.

California olive oil....mmmmmm....

Sorry.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I'm partial to Louisiana peaches, berries, and citrus, but for store-bought juice it's always Florida's Natural.

LOVE California olive oils and wines!!!

California Olive Ranch oils

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    fat=flavor
    That is why I drink whole milk and do not use reduced, or no-fat sour cream and cream cheese.
    My new favorite saying: "Her cooking' was so bad that the flies got together and fixed the hole in her screen door."

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post

No-- but then, they're not available here, and if they were, they'd likely be too expensive anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    No-- but then, they're not available here, and if they were, they'd likely be too expensive anyhow.
    True Mari, never thought of that. We have been buying Hass 10/$10 the last month. Have no idea what they usually are. But they are good Keep looking for Florida ones also, but, nope, not available. They must have shipped them all to you guys.

I'm partial to Louisiana peaches, berries, and citrus, but for store-bought juice it's always Florida's Natural.

LOVE California olive oils and wines!!!

California Olive Ranch oils
    I still haven't tried that one, although I've seen good reviews of it. There are a bunch of shops that sell only California olive oils, and I will happily sample away until I begin to feel a little woozy. You can ingest only just so much olive oil straight-up
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Haas for me! And if CA supplies run low, we still have Haas from Mexico. No shortage of avocados here. Always a good price, too.

I would plant my own Haas tree if they didn’t grow so big, tall, and weren’t so toxic to my animals. I do have a Plan B, however.

Last season I purchased a dwarf Holiday avocado that promises to produce Hass-like fruit -- that’s what the nursery description proclaimed. With pinching it can remain small enough to be grown as a patio tree.

No fruit from the one I own yet. It’s still a leafy baby in a 5-gallon can. This avocado variety produces from Fall to New Year’s; hence, the name “Holiday”.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First