Community Message Boards

Thread: your favorite banana muffins?

your favorite banana muffins?

I found the CUTEST muffin/cupcake liners yesterday at Kroger. They are yellow with little monkey faces on them. Of course, I instantly bought them and knew something with banana in them would be in my co-workers future.

What are your best recipes? I try to "wow" them a little when I bring stuff in, but I also prefer to have it be a little healthy if I can. Whole grains, less sugar, etc.

This is a healthy recipe that also tastes great, from epicurious.com.

Wheat Germ and Banana Muffins

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...na-Muffins-843

The recipe says it makes 16, but I like good-sized muffins and I get 14 from it.

Also, I use 375 degrees, because my muffin pan is a dark Calphalon one, and it cooks faster. For a shiny aluminum pan, I'd stick with the original 400 degrees.

Here's another one that's tasty, and it's a little bit different because of the topping.

Banana Praline Muffins
    Thatsmyhome.com
    Makes 10 - 12 muffins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or 375 degrees if using a dark muffin pan). Spray muffin tins with PAM or use muffin papers.

3 medium ripe bananas
    1 egg
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup oil
    1-1/4 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Praline:
    3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
    1Tablespoon sour cream
    1/2 cup pecan pieces

Mash bananas in a bowl. Add eggs, sugar and oil. Beat well. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ones, and mix just until moistened.

Put batter into 10-12 muffin tins. Mix praline ingredients in a small bowl. Top each muffin with some praline mix (in the center of muffin top); press down gently on praline with fingers. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.

*Recipe said this makes 12 muffins, but I get 10 good-sized muffins.

Here's another good one from epicurious.com. These are delish! But I can't say they are lowfat LOL.

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Muffins-101020

Thanks! Sorry it took so long for me to respond back. I have a long Memorial weekend, so I think I am going to make them on Wed, my first day back to work. I guess healthy isn't as much priority as awesome when cooking for co-workers.

I was a bit surprised this wasn't as popular of a topic as I thought it would be.

Also accepting recipes for other muffins. I'm thinking strawberry. Strawberries here have been really sweet lately and I also have pink muffin liners with flowers.

I also hope others will chime in with some new recipes. We have muffins every week and I'm always looking for variations. I'd love to have a recipe for strawberry muffins, too.

I ordered this muffin cookbook the other day. It had very good reviews on amazon.com.

750 Best Muffin Recipes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/077...ls_o01_s00_i02

I made whole wheat banana blueberry muffins this morning. The neighborhood children gobbled them up in record time.

I found the recipe on this BB.

Quote Originally Posted by peachesncream View Post
    I also hope others will chime in with some new recipes. We have muffins every week and I'm always looking for variations. I'd love to have a recipe for strawberry muffins, too.

I ordered this muffin cookbook the other day. It had very good reviews on amazon.com.

750 Best Muffin Recipes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/077...ls_o01_s00_i02
    Thank you, it does indeed look like an interesting book, but I'm not purchasing any new cookbooks at this time. In fact, I think I need to get rid of some I don't use.

I made these the other day, subbing in white whole wheat flour and used brown sugar and less of it. They were really yummy!
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

I haven't tried these but these have been in my to try list for awhile. It's from a post on Sweetnicks blog a few years back.

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins Baked Bakeshop
    Recipe courtesy of Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
    1-1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 4)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    1/4 cup whole milk
    1 large egg
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together the bananas, sugars, butter, milk, and egg. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, instant espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
    Fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Move the muffin pan to a cooling rack, and let cool for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the muffins from the pan and let them finish cooling on the cooling rack. Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
    Yield: 12 muffins (I got 16)

These are pretty healthy, not maybe the ones I would bring to coworkers (unless they enjoy healthier offerings), but the ones I make for myself preferentially over other banana muffins. I always omit the chocolate chips and walnuts for these, and I normally enjoy mix-ins, but find these better plain.

Banana-Bran Muffins  CLBB
(from Eating Well, winter 2004)

2 large eggs

2/3 cup packed light brown sugar

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)

1 cup buttermilk (see Ingredient notes)

1 cup unprocessed wheat bran (see Ingredient notes)

1/4 cup canola oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup whole-wheat flour

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.

2. Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in bananas, buttermilk, wheat bran, oil and vanilla.

3. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.

4. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: 196 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 182 mg sodium.

You can use buttermilk powder in place of fresh buttermilk. Or make "sour milk": mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Unprocessed wheat bran is the outer layer of the wheat kernel, removed during milling. Also known as miller?s bran, it can be found in the baking section. Do not substitute bran cereal in this recipe.

And a really great strawberry muffin recipe I found on the foil lid of a yogurt (stony field?) container. This is a great "basic" muffin recipe that would work with all sorts of adaptations.

Melt in your mouth strawberry muffins

1 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 eggs
    1 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl, mix together flour, sugar and baking soda.  In another bowl, mix eggs, yogurt, butter and vanilla. Toss strawberries into the flour mixture. Then pour yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and stir. Spoon batter into greased muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Yields 12 muffins.

Calories 150, calories from fat 45, total fat 5g, carbs 24g, protein 4g, fiber 2g

My notes:  these worked really well at high altitude. I used white and white whole wheat flours, but next time will try all white ww flour. I used fat free Fage Greek yogurt which should improve the nutritional profile (not sure what level of yogurt the provided stats used). I used strawberries, but these would be great with other fruit like peaches.

Thanks! I think I will do the final 2 ones posted. I'm known around here for being a bit of a health nut. I don't think they'll be terribly picky as long as they are moist and flavorful.

For the strawberry muffins, did you use vanilla yogurt or just plain?

I think you will enjoy the banana bran muffins, they are just not what some folks think of in a muffin, i.e., borderline cupcake! I really like them.

The strawberry muffins are great, too. I use plain, fat-free Greek yogurt and they turned out great. I did end up calculating the nutritional profile and it did not improve it as much as I thought it might. Here's what I calculated just running it through myfitnesspal (not sure how terribly accurate?) for one muffin:

Calories 157
    Fat: 4.7 g
    Saturated 2.6 g
    Cholesterol 41 mg
    Sodium 48 mg
    carbs 23 g
    fiber 1.6 g
    sugars 10 g
    protein 5.3 g
    Vit A 3.7%
    Vit C 12.4%
    Calcium 4.4%
    Iron 5.6%

RiverFarm:

I often interchange muffins to quick breads.

I make no changes to the ingredients (unless subsituting one add-in for another ie: different fruits, nuts, etc).

If the muffin recipe calls for 12 muffins I put the batter into a 9x5 loaf pan baking for about 45-50 minutes or until done.

If the muffins recipe calls for more than 12 but less than 24 muffins, I dish out the excess batter into muffin tins and put the rest into a 9x5 loaf pan. Ex. 18 yield muffin recipe gives me 1 9x5 loaf plus 6 muffins. (I've sometimes put the excess batter (6 muffins) into 2 mini loaf pan.)

The muffins and quick loaf can bake at the same temp at the same time just remember to take your muffins out when done.

The same can be done in reverse for quick breads to muffins, with 1 9x5 loaf making 12 muffins.

The recipe says it makes 16, but I like good-sized muffins and I get 14 from it.

I just made these today and they were yummy! Definitely a keeper

My favorite way to use up ripe bananas is in this Morning Glory Muffin recipe. Although it's not titled as a Banana Muffin, it uses a full cup of mashed bananas. Made these again this morning...they are one of my top three favorite muffin recipes. I'm not the only one who loves them...see 55 reviews with 5 stars! Oh...and fat free, too! NEVER thought I'd like a fat free muffin, but these are fantastic and so good for you!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/morn...0000001634764/

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    I haven't tried these but these have been in my to try list for awhile. It's from a post on Sweetnicks blog a few years back.

Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins Baked Bakeshop
    Recipe courtesy of Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
    1-1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 4)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    1/4 cup whole milk
    1 large egg
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together the bananas, sugars, butter, milk, and egg. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, instant espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
    Fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean. Move the muffin pan to a cooling rack, and let cool for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the muffins from the pan and let them finish cooling on the cooling rack. Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
    Yield: 12 muffins (I got 16)
    Just made these today. Very tasty! The coffee flavor is very subtle, I may increase it to 2 teaspoons espresso powder next time. And there will be a next time! Thanks for the recipe!
    Dianne

Love banana bread/banana muffins ... so how could I not click on this thread. And, saw that that Vicannddi tried the recipe that I mentioned a few months back.

Vicannddi -- So glad that you liked the Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins. I still haven't made them but I do have some bananas on my counter. Hmmmm.