Community Message Boards

Thread: Public Wifi Security

Public Wifi Security

I have read that one needs to be super careful when using any kind of public Wifi system and some people use a VPN or other safeguard.

Does this kind of security issue also exist in a "closed" Wifi situation - e.g. some apartments/condos are starting to offer Wifi as part of the services for the building.

Each resident would be given the password but I assume that's also true of a hotel Wifi - or is it completely different when Wifi has no passwords at all.

I would still be careful in those situations, too. Anyone on the same network as you could peek into your PC without you knowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I would still be careful in those situations, too. Anyone on the same network as you could peek into your PC without you knowing it.
    Not quite.

They could see anything you are _transmitting_ or _receiving_ on an unsecured wireless network.

They could see websites you went to, email you send or receive, entries (like cc info) that you enter into a website and submit.

But they couldn't actually peek into your computer. Or, at least you would be no more vulnerable than if you were connected to a physical network.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...