Community Message Boards

Thread: Great grilled chicken rec for a bbq - and gf?

Great grilled chicken rec for a bbq - and gf?

Hi everyone,

we're having a big Mem Day BBQ on Monday - around 24 people, inc. kids. We're making ribs and burgers, but I don't eat red meat, so we'll also grill some chicken.

Any recipes for a great and not too complicated grilled chicken recipe? Gluten-free?

Thanks!

My favorite easy chicken marinade is:

1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh-squeezed is best, but bottled is fine)
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    2-3 teaspoons Greek seasoning (I use Penzeys, but have seen others in the grocery store)
    freshly-ground black pepper

This is enough for at least 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of chicken breasts.

Marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 3-4 hours.

Remove from marinade, discard marinade, and grill chicken.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

This chicken is fabulous - it's a perfect combination of flavors that enhance each other. It's great on a grill but I also make on an indoor grill. The left overs are really tasty so I will deliberately make a large quantity and eat them for several days so I don't have to cook.

Unbelievable Chicken
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Allrecipes.com
    Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

1/4 cup cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 lime, juiced
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    ground black pepper to taste
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions:

1. In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.

2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade.

Thank you! Both sound delicious - I should have mentioned that I'm sugar-free as well (big bummer for me).

VictoriaL - what is your non-easy favorite!?!?

Keep them coming! THank you!

Here is one I love. It is different and quite good. It will marinate about 3 lbs bnls/sknls chicken breasts.

Armenian Herb Marinade
    1/2 c oil (can be reduced)
    1/2 c chopped onion
    1/2 c tomato juice
    1/4 c lemon juice
    1/4 c snipped parsley
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp marjoram
    1 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced

We're having a couple over for dinner Saturday night, too, and I wanted my DH to grill some kind of chicken to take some of the heat off of me. I LOVE the Unbelievable Chicken recipe and had forgotten about it, so I'm so glad I checked this thread! It's one of our all-time favorites too, so that took care of what we're going to grill this weekend!

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

I enjoyed Unbelievable chicken. I usually prefer little stuff

Here is my fave which is sold at NYS Faur:

Cornell BBQ sauce
    1 cup oil
    1 pint cider vinegar
    3 T salt
    1 T poultry seasoning
    1 t. pepper
    1 egg

Brush on chicken and grill. YUM

Old timers will remember TerryTX's Drive Your Neighbors Nuts chicken rub!

Drive Your Neighbors Nuts Grilled Chicken
    Recipe By :TerryTX
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Chicken Grilling

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------

Cut chickens in quarters, leave the skin on. Mix together:
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tbl salt
    2 tbl mild chili powder
    2 tbl hot chili powder ( I used Gebherts)
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp Mex. oregano
    1 tsp coriander
    2 tsp dry mustard
    1 1/2 tbl minced lemon zest ( I used dried-purchased)
    1-1/2 tsp onion salt
    1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Loosen the skin on the chicken pieces, and put a generous amount of the combined spices under the skin. Then sprinkle generous all over the chicken, both sides. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hrs, the longer the better. Start up the grill, cook and smoke until done. Use a little pecan, apple or whatever wood to get the smoke going. The rub is enough to do 2 chickens. Also good on pork!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by margeslp View Post
    I enjoyed Unbelievable chicken. I usually prefer little stuff

Here is my fave which is sold at NYS Faur:

Cornell BBQ sauce
    1 cup oil
    1 pint cider vinegar
    3 T salt
    1 T poultry seasoning
    1 t. pepper
    1 egg

Brush on chicken and grill. YUM
    I like that one, but I think I also marinated the chicken in it too.

The Greek syle is ls good too.

And speaking of upstate New York specialties, here is a variant of the Speidi with chicken although traditionally it was made with pork or lamb.

Traditionally Speidies aren't served with a bun but with sliced "bad" Italian or French bread. By bad I mean soft with no crust. You stick the skewer on the bread, fold and pull so that the pieces become nested in the sandwich.

" Lupo's " Chicken Spiedies

Ingredients

2 -3 chicken breasts
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    2 garlic cloves ( finely chopped or pressed)
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    3 -4 sandwich buns
    Directions
    Dice chicken breasts into 1" cubes.

Whisk all other ingredients together to form marinade. Set some aside for basting or sauce if desired (though I don't think this is necessary).

Add marinade to chicken and refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally (the acidic nature of the marinade will 'chemically' cook the meat partially).

Thread 5 or so cubes onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers and grill for a few minutes either side, just until meat is firm (remember, they're already partially cooked by the marinade).

Place two skewers on a fresh bread roll or Italian bread, grip the meat firmly with the bread and pull out skewers.

Enjoy!

This is one of our favorites from Epicurious, and we use on Steak, Chicken and Fish.

The Only Marinade You'll Ever Need

If I could use only one marinade for the rest of my life, it would be this one. Redolent with garlic, piquant with fresh lemon juice, and fragrant with extra virgin olive oil, it instantly transports you to the Mediterranean. I can't think of a single food that doesn't taste better bathed in it. You can use it as both a marinade and a basting sauce. If marinating poultry, meat, or seafood, simply set a portion aside for basting.

Yield: Makes 1 cup

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or to taste
    4 strips of lemon zest
    3 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver or minced
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or a mix of all four
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Combine the lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, cracked pepper, and salt in a nonreactive (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel) bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Add the lemon zest, garlic, parsley and basil. Stir or whisk in the olive oil. The virtue of this marinade is its freshness: Use it within 1 to 2 hours of making. Stir again before using.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

The Only Marinade....wow, this does sound a lot like the one I've been posting about over at the cilantro thread http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=142794. (That sauce I made uses lime and one of the posters thought that some zest would be nice to add, too...like this one you posted does.) Nice to see that this one suggests other types of herbs, as well... I'm going to try it! Thanks for sharing this.

I see, from doing a search, that it is originally from Steve Raichlen (in this book, BARBECUE! BIBLE™ SAUCES, RUBS, AND MARINADES, BASTES, BUTTERS & GLAZES) and those are his words...about it being the only one needed. I think he must be correct!! (Cause I sure love the variation of it that I have made...it made my whole meal--and all the things I made and used it on--UNREAL GOOD!!)

Here is link to his site (there are more recipes from his bbq books there, too).
    http://www.barbecuebible.com/feature...nly_marina.php
    Last edited by catbatty; 05-23-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyT View Post
    Thank you! Both sound delicious - I should have mentioned that I'm sugar-free as well (big bummer for me).

VictoriaL - what is your non-easy favorite!?!?
    What I am thinking of are recipes that aren't terribly difficult, but that take time in either prep or marinating. One of my favorites is a Balinese sate which has a laundry-list of ingredients for both the marinade and for the sauce, and the original recipe also called for roasting and then grinding peanuts, but I've been lazy and subbed peanut butter. It really is much better when I take the time with the peanuts, though...

Another is for jerk chicken where you need to toast the allspice berries before grinding, don gloves to chop Scotch Bonnet chilies, and it has to be marinated overnight (I'm rarely that organized to plan ahead).

I make the recipe I posted above almost every week in the summer because it is so very delicious and easy and the leftovers are wonderful either in salads or gyro-style sandwiches with cucumber sauce, tomatoes, and lettuce on pita. And our cat likes this chicken, too.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    And speaking of upstate New York specialties, here is a variant of the Speidi with chicken although traditionally it was made with pork or lamb.

Traditionally Speidies aren't served with a bun but with sliced "bad" Italian or French bread. By bad I mean soft with no crust. You stick the skewer on the bread, fold and pull so that the pieces become nested in the sandwich.

" Lupo's " Chicken Spiedies

Ingredients

2 -3 chicken breasts
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    2 garlic cloves ( finely chopped or pressed)
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 -4 sandwich buns
    Directions
    Dice chicken breasts into 1" cubes.

Whisk all other ingredients together to form marinade. Set some aside for basting or sauce if desired (though I don't think this is necessary).

Add marinade to chicken and refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally (the acidic nature of the marinade will 'chemically' cook the meat partially).

Thread 5 or so cubes onto metal or soaked bamboo skewers and grill for a few minutes either side, just until meat is firm (remember, they're already partially cooked by the marinade).

Place two skewers on a fresh bread roll or Italian bread, grip the meat firmly with the bread and pull out skewers.

Enjoy!
    Love Spiedies. Another NY State Fair "must have" and a bottled dressing found locally all year round. Speidies are from Binghamton; I have many professional friends there I love.
    When you wind up on a food discussion group that asks about regional favorites this is one I love to share.

Thanks everyone! I made the "Only marinade you'll ever need" which was delicious. Next time I'll save some to baste...

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaL View Post
    My favorite easy chicken marinade is:

1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh-squeezed is best, but bottled is fine)
    4 large garlic cloves, minced
    2-3 teaspoons Greek seasoning (I use Penzeys, but have seen others in the grocery store)
    freshly-ground black pepper

This is enough for at least 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of chicken breasts.

Marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 3-4 hours.

Remove from marinade, discard marinade, and grill chicken.

I made this over the weekend and we loved it. I thought I had greek seasoning but couldn't find it, so I subbed Penzey's Tuscan one instead. I doubled it for about 2.5 pounds of chicken. Marinated it for 4-5 hours and the chicken had a nice lemony flavor.

That one will be a repeater for us this summer. Will probably try with various other Penzey's salt free blends that I have in the cabinet, that I never seem to get around to using.
    Maria