Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Game of the Week #51 05/24/12

Cooking Game of the Week #51 05/24/12

Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone!!!!!!!!

Welcome to our 3rd "Every 5th" game.

This week, in honor of Memorial Day we will be doing a tribute to our own loved ones.

#1 - Any recipe that a loved one used to make. You don't have to make it.

#2 - Any recipe that you will make this Memorial Day.

Have a great happy and safe week-end everyone.!!

The game is open to everyone

Happy Cooking

Now, this is a game I can play!

First, my DM's signature recipe for Christmas cookies! When I'm baking these, it just smells like Christmas in our house.

Rocks (Mom's recipe)

Ingredients
    1 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 large eggs, separated
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 Tbs warm water or buttermilk
    2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 lb chopped dates
    1 lb raisins
    1 lb chopped or broken walnuts

Procedure
    1. Preheat oven to 350*

2. Cream butter, add sugar and combine thoroughly.

3. Beat egg yolks and add to butter and sugar mixture, then add soda which has been dissolved in water or buttermilk (for a softer cookie).

4. Beat the egg whites until they are fluffy but not stiff, then fold them into the dough.

5. Add the fruit and nuts, which have been mixed with a little of the flour, to prevent them sticking together.

6. Combine remaining flour with salt and spices. Add this to the dough, stirring only until mixed. (I have always had to use my hands at this point... and a REALLY large bowl!)

7. Drop by teaspoonfuls on to greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350* for 12 to 15 minutes. Dough may be chilled before dropping cookies, if desired. (Hide it, though... my family seeks this dough out to eat raw!)

Servings: 144
    Yield: 12 dozen cookies

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 71 calories, 31 calories from fat, 3.7g total fat, 7.8mg cholesterol, 22.6mg sodium, 55.7mg potassium, 9.2g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 5g sugar, 1.3g protein, 1.8 points.

Second, DMIL's "recipe" for Cole Slaw (as shown to me when we were newlyweds)

Cabbage
    Mayo
    Cider vinegar
    salt & pepper

No measurements, just mix the ingredients together until the "right" consistency, and serve it immediately. Do not save it if there's any left, as it gets strange.

Seriously, DH refused to eat it if it's more than 30 minutes old! We will be having this on Monday, with brats and macaroni & cheese.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Woe is me, my mother and grandmother never wrote down any recipes, although I cook very much like my mother when I'm ad-libbing.

I probably won't be cooking at all this weekend, since I'll be stuffing my face at the Asian Festival on Saturday and Sunday, and maybe spending Monday trying to digest it all -- something like a boa constrictor, I guess. But if I do make a new or un-ad-libbed recipe on Monday, I'll post it.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

I'm making my pasta salad to bring to a BBQ! It is more throwing things together rather than a recipe but this is essentially what I do. Especially for the dressing - I don't measure anything; I just toss together & add more depending on taste.

Salad:
    Cellentani pasta
    Red & green pepper, large dice
    Cuke, seeded & large dice
    Red onion, dice
    Carrots, shredded
    Black olives, sliced
    Bread & butter pickles, diced

Dressing:
    Mayo
    Spicy mustard
    Balsamic vinegar
    Pickle juice
    Salt
    Plenty of black pepper
    Cayenne pepper
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post

First, my DM's signature recipe for Christmas cookies! When I'm baking these, it just smells like Christmas in our house.

Rocks (Mom's recipe)

Ingredients
    1 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 large eggs, separated
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 Tbs warm water or buttermilk
    2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 lb chopped dates
    1 lb raisins
    1 lb chopped or broken walnuts

Procedure
    1. Preheat oven to 350*

2. Cream butter, add sugar and combine thoroughly.

3. Beat egg yolks and add to butter and sugar mixture, then add soda which has been dissolved in water or buttermilk (for a softer cookie).

4. Beat the egg whites until they are fluffy but not stiff, then fold them into the dough.

5. Add the fruit and nuts, which have been mixed with a little of the flour, to prevent them sticking together.

6. Combine remaining flour with salt and spices. Add this to the dough, stirring only until mixed. (I have always had to use my hands at this point... and a REALLY large bowl!)

7. Drop by teaspoonfuls on to greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350* for 12 to 15 minutes. Dough may be chilled before dropping cookies, if desired. (Hide it, though... my family seeks this dough out to eat raw!)

Servings: 144
    Yield: 12 dozen cookies

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 71 calories, 31 calories from fat, 3.7g total fat, 7.8mg cholesterol, 22.6mg sodium, 55.7mg potassium, 9.2g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 5g sugar, 1.3g protein, 1.8 points.

Second, DMIL's "recipe" for Cole Slaw (as shown to me when we were newlyweds)

Cabbage
    Mayo
    Cider vinegar
    salt & pepper

No measurements, just mix the ingredients together until the "right" consistency, and serve it immediately. Do not save it if there's any left, as it gets strange.

Seriously, DH refused to eat it if it's more than 30 minutes old! We will be having this on Monday, with brats and macaroni & cheese.
    Hi Kay, now you have me curious and confused. I'm torn between making your MIL's cole slaw to see what all the "fuss" is about or the blue cheese cole slaw that DH really loves. PAMMELA submitted it in '06, been making it ever since. Can't wait to make your mothers cookies. Love anything with dates. Thanks Kay, glad we found a game for you

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioan View Post
    Woe is me, my mother and grandmother never wrote down any recipes, although I cook very much like my mother when I'm ad-libbing.

I probably won't be cooking at all this weekend, since I'll be stuffing my face at the Asian Festival on Saturday and Sunday, and maybe spending Monday trying to digest it all -- something like a boa constrictor, I guess. But if I do make a new or un-ad-libbed recipe on Monday, I'll post it.

Cheers,
    Phoebe
    Hi Phoebe, woe is me also. I wanted so badly to make my mothers baked beans, but she never had a recipe. She just winged it. They are cooking now, and soon I will have to add the stuff and bake them. I just hope I guessed right. How are you holding up Phoebe? Today is depressing the he** out of me. Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell18 View Post
    I'm making my pasta salad to bring to a BBQ! It is more throwing things together rather than a recipe but this is essentially what I do. Especially for the dressing - I don't measure anything; I just toss together & add more depending on taste.

Salad:
    Cellentani pasta
    Red & green pepper, large dice
    Cuke, seeded & large dice
    Red onion, dice
    Carrots, shredded
    Black olives, sliced
    Bread & butter pickles, diced

Dressing:
    Mayo
    Spicy mustard
    Balsamic vinegar
    Pickle juice
    Salt
    Plenty of black pepper
    Cayenne pepper
    Hi Reb, I'm sure some day you might have a family of your own. Take a lesson from Phoebe and me. Write out a recipe with amounts for the future. Don't make your kids struggle like we are.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
    Hi Kay, now you have me curious and confused. I'm torn between making your MIL's cole slaw to see what all the "fuss" is about or the blue cheese cole slaw that DH really loves. PAMMELA submitted it in '06, been making it ever since. Can't wait to make your mothers cookies. Love anything with dates. Thanks Kay, glad we found a game for you
    Make both! Just don't make that much of my DMIL's recipe, in case he doesn't like it. I made the blue cheese cole slaw once, but it was too much for DH.

As to the cookies (not enough e's in that, LOL!), my mother's typed recipe reminded me that she had to hide the dough, or my brothers would eat it raw! DH likes it raw, too.

I did enjoy this game! Since I make menus on Tuesday, and shop on Wednesday, it's hard to keep up with the weekly game, though I do try. I do appreciate all the work you do to host this game, Cookieee, and to keep coming up with new ideas. I play when I can!
    Kay

Hi Reb, I'm sure some day you might have a family of your own. Take a lesson from Phoebe and me. Write out a recipe with amounts for the future. Don't make your kids struggle like we are.
    Lol I will have to try and remember to do so next time! It would certainly be easier than constantly tasting til it is "perfect."
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!

I have a recipe from my mom that includes the grill!

Grilled Steak:
    Place four steaks on the grill. Leave unattended for a while. Flip. Go weed the garden. Get the mail. Wipe off the counters. Forget about the steaks. Call out to Dad to get the steaks off the grill. Bring in 4 steaks and try to cut off the burnt areas. Cut your losses and feed them to the dog. Go out for pizza which is what your kids wanted all along!

Here is a recipe that I got out of her recipe box that she used to make when my dad went out of town. It used to feed us for a week. The recipe as written was not how she made it though. She wasn't a great cook but I would give my right arm to have her cook for me again.
    Cheesy Chicken and Noodle Casserole:
    4 lbs chicken
    1C wine
    1 1/2C macaroni
    1/2C greeen pepper
    1/2C pimentos
    1 can of drained mushrooms
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    2C cheese cracker crumbs
    1C grated cheese

Cook chicken in wine and water. Pour off and save liquid and add water to make 1qt plus 1 cup. Cook macaroni in liquid until done. Cut meat into bite sized pieces. In large bowl add chicken, macaroni, liquid, mushrooms,& soup. Into the 9X13 glass dish layer chicken mix, crumbs, then cheese. Repeat. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted.

When she made this it was a whole chicken and there were no veggies in it. Pure comfort food. I plan to make this one again soon just to see if it is as good as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyshine View Post

Grilled Steak:
    Place four steaks on the grill. Leave unattended for a while. Flip. Go weed the garden. Get the mail. Wipe off the counters. Forget about the steaks. Call out to Dad to get the steaks off the grill. Bring in 4 steaks and try to cut off the burnt areas. Cut your losses and feed them to the dog. Go out for pizza which is what your kids wanted all along!
    Love it!!!!!!!

Here is a recipe that I got out of her recipe box that she used to make when my dad went out of town. It used to feed us for a week. The recipe as written was not how she made it though. She wasn't a great cook but I would give my right arm to have her cook for me again.
    Cheesy Chicken and Noodle Casserole:
    4 lbs chicken
    1C wine
    1 1/2C macaroni
    1/2C greeen pepper
    1/2C pimentos
    1 can of drained mushrooms
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    2C cheese cracker crumbs
    1C grated cheese

Cook chicken in wine and water. Pour off and save liquid and add water to make 1qt plus 1 cup. Cook macaroni in liquid until done. Cut meat into bite sized pieces. In large bowl add chicken, macaroni, liquid, mushrooms,& soup. Into the 9X13 glass dish layer chicken mix, crumbs, then cheese. Repeat. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted.

When she made this it was a whole chicken and there were no veggies in it. Pure comfort food. I plan to make this one again soon just to see if it is as good as I remember.
    Sunnyshine, I know DH wants to make this soon. That surprises me because he does not like mushrooms. I have never cried as much over a game as much as this one. Reading what you girls are writting, and trying to make my mothers bake beans without a recipe. It is 7:20 and they are still not ready. Don't know how I went wrong.

Make both! Just don't make that much of my DMIL's recipe, in case he doesn't like it. I made the blue cheese cole slaw once, but it was too much for DH.

As to the cookies (not enough e's in that, LOL!), my mother's typed recipe reminded me that she had to hide the dough, or my brothers would eat it raw! DH likes it raw, too.

I did enjoy this game! Since I make menus on Tuesday, and shop on Wednesday, it's hard to keep up with the weekly game, though I do try. I do appreciate all the work you do to host this game, Cookieee, and to keep coming up with new ideas. I play when I can!
    Thanks Kay. I thought when we started up this game again, you said Thursday was good for you?

Your mother would have to hide the dough from me also if I was there.

Rocks (Mom's recipe)
    Kay, DH just saw the Rock recipe and says we are making them. And I just saw how many it makes.

Grilled Steak:
    LOL! Too funny!

Sunnyshine, I know DH wants to make this soon. That surprises me because he does not like mushrooms. I have never cried as much over a game as much as this one. Reading what you girls are writting, and trying to make my mothers bake beans without a recipe. It is 7:20 and they are still not ready. Don't know how I went wrong.
    Aw cookieee, I hope that they come out okay! Let us know

I lost my grandma last year and she was a fabulous cook. She, too, never wrote down recipes. All of the grandkids got together over the summer to try to recreate as many recipes as we could. One cousin was able to make her stew, I figured out her swiss steak, my sister nailed her chocolate cookies but one thing no one could figure out were her pecan sticky buns. We all watched her make dozens upon dozens of them over the years but nothing we did made them turn out like hers.

I hope you can re-create the beans. No matter what, you have the memories and this is a tribute to her. This week I've been thinking a lot about those I've lost and I think that is what matters.

Hi cookieee and GCOTW gang...I haven't been on here in a while...so I had to check into this week's game...my cooking slump continues so it is hard to play but I did make a new recipe this week.

I have done the 2nd option for the game...it is a recipe I made for Memorial Day (I actually made it on Sunday)...Spinach & Orzo Salad

The plan was to do some grilling on Memorial Day with a few sides...however Beryl unexpectedly paid a visit...she blew in rather gently (I hear she caused more of a stir at other places she visited) but in the end Memorial Day was a wash out

And altho' Beryl has gone on her way, she did leave behind some belated showers...walk to the beach this morning got cancelled cos as I stepped out of the garage the rain started...more of a heavy sprinkle than rain, but with more dark clouds approaching, it seemed wiser to stay inside. Good thing is, the ocean and beach will be there tomorrow morning for a nice walk then

The orzo salad was good...but was enjoyed alongside some cold cuts I had bought for weekend sandwiches rather than the grilled meat as originally planned.

Whoops...I have to do a search for the recipe...back to post it in a bit.

This was very good (I love orzo) & super easy...I made the salad on Sunday but did not toss in the spinach until ready to eat it. My dried tomatoes were packed in oil, but with herbs--I didn't realize it at the time--so that may have added an extra bit of flavor that isn't in the recipe below.

Glad I actually cooked something new this week so I got to play

Spinach and Orzo Salad/Sunset MAY 2010

This herb vinaigrette-dressed pasta salad keeps better than a mayo-based one from the deli–and tastes better too.

Yield: Serves 4
    Total:20 Minutes

1 cup orzo pasta
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    About 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 quart lightly packed baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup slivered dried tomatoes packed in oil
    12 pitted kalamata olives, sliced

1. Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, basil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper and reserve.

2. Drain pasta, rinse with water until cool, and drain again. Add to bowl with dressing and gently mix in spinach, tomatoes, and olives to combine. Add more salt if you like.

Keeps: Up to 2 hours at room temperature, 4 hours with ice packs.

Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1-cup serving.

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving Calories: 315
    Calories from fat: 44%
    Protein: 6.9g
    Fat: 16g
    Saturated fat: 1.7g
    Carbohydrate: 39g
    Fiber: 4.4g
    Sodium: 550mg
    Cholesterol: 0.0mg

Quote Originally Posted by Beachside View Post
    This was very good (I love orzo) & super easy...I made the salad on Sunday but did not toss in the spinach until ready to eat it. My dried tomatoes were packed in oil, but with herbs--I didn't realize it at the time--so that may have added an extra bit of flavor that isn't in the recipe below.

Sounds very simple & yummy! Will definitely have to give it a whirl this summer

I made 3 new recipes yesterday!!!!

First, for breakfast I made Brown Sugar Scones from King Arthur Flour. They were good, but all agreed that there were other scone recipes that we liked better.

Brown Scones with Walnuts and Golden Raisins

1 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
    1 cup Queen Guinevere Cake Flour or Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
    1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ cup dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    ½ cup (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½" cubes
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    ¾ cup golden raisins
    ¾ cup cold buttermilk; or 2/3 cup plain yogurt mixed with enough milk to yield ¾ cup
    half & half or heavy cream, for brushing
    coarse white sparkling sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.

2) Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon.

3) Work in the butter until small clumps form.

4) Add the walnuts and raisins, and toss to incorporate.

5) Pour the buttermilk into the center of the mixture and stir until the dough just becomes cohesive.

6) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and bring it together into a ball. Roll or pat the dough to 1" thickness.

7) Cut rounds using a 2" biscuit cutter and transfer to a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Gather the remaining scraps and repeat until all the dough is gone. To avoid having to re-roll, pat the dough into a square, and cut square scones.

8) Place the scones in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will help their rise and texture.

9) Brush the scones with the half & half or heavy cream, and sprinkle with the sparkling sugar.

10) Bake the scones until they begin to brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.

Yield: 15 to 18 scones.

For dinner, I made this recipe for fish packets that I printed out from the BB quite some time ago. They were simple but very good. DD is a vegetarian, so I put tofu in her packet. Both kids added extra Sriracha sauce to theirs.

Asian Fish in a Packet--Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
    2 5-6 oz fish fillets or steaks (I used salmon)
    1 c cooked rice
    2 c coarse chopped greens (I used bok choy)
    2 green onions, chopped
    sliced water chestnuts--if you want (I used the sliced bok choy stems)
    1 tsp minced ginger
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tsp sesame oil
    hot sauce (don't eliminate--brings something essential to the party)
    Preheat oven to 450. Make 2 packets--2 12x24 pieces of foil folded in half. Place 1/2 c rice, 1 c greens, scallions, water chestnuts, and then fish. Grate ginger over and garlic (I usually use 1 small clove, per and don't measure the ginger. Smear it over the fish). Top with half of soy and sesame oil. Sprinkle with hot sauce. Fold packet up tightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Finally, for dessert, I made this beautiful cake from Bon Appetit since blackberries were on sale this week. It looked and tasted delicious!

Blackberry Buttermilk Cake Bon Appétit | July 2011

Buttermilk keeps this moist cake light and flavorful. Dust it with powdered sugar as it cools for a sweet, decorative finish.
    Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

ingredients
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan and parchment
    2 1/3 cups cake flour (sifted, then measured) plus more for pan
    2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) fresh blackberries
    1/4 cup plus 1 1/3 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3 large eggs, room temperature
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
    Powdered sugar (for dusting)

Special equipment: Use a 9"–10"-diameter springform pan.
    preparation

Position a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350°. Butter pan; line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Butter parchment. Dust with flour; tap out excess. Arrange berries in a single layer in bottom of pan; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup sugar.

Sift 2 1/3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a medium bowl; set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup butter and remaining 1 1/3 cups sugar in a large bowl at medium-high speed, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl, until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and zest. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating just until incorporated. Pour batter over berries in pan; smooth top.

Bake until cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 25 minutes. Let cool in pan set on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then run a thin, sharp knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove pan sides. Invert cake onto rack and remove pan bottom; peel off parchment. Dust top generously with powdered sugar and let cool completely.
    Alicia

Kay, DH just saw the Rock recipe and says we are making them. And I just saw how many it makes.
    I know! But they're small, and relatively healthy, with all the fruit and nuts. And they're great to give to neighbors, or put on a cookie tray. They don't look as pretty as some, but they do taste great... and they freeze well, too! You could freeze half the dough, if you wanted.
    Kay

I lost my grandma last year and she was a fabulous cook. She, too, never wrote down recipes. All of the grandkids got together over the summer to try to recreate as many recipes as we could. One cousin was able to make her stew, I figured out her swiss steak, my sister nailed her chocolate cookies but one thing no one could figure out were her pecan sticky buns. We all watched her make dozens upon dozens of them over the years but nothing we did made them turn out like hers.
    Sunnyshine, this made me laugh, because DH's grandmother could make the lightest, fluffiest baking powder biscuits in the world -- even after she was blind! And noone has been able to duplicate them... she said it was all about not washing your hands but we didn't believe her! Some people just have a knack for some things!

Cookieee -- Thursday is ok, as long as we're following a pattern that I can guess. It was good for everyone else, and I didn't want to be a party-pooper.
    Kay

Alicia (gobluem82), those are my notes on the fish recipe. So neat to see something I posted tried by someone

My grandmother died a year ago in June. She was the heart of our family--keeping us all well-fed and well-loved. This is a recipe of hers that I love, but no one has been able to replicate it just like she made it. It's one of those "I add the ingredients until it looks right" recipes that come after years of being made. I am going to keep trying!

Baked Beans
    1 pound dry lima/butter beans
    2 qts cold water
    3 tbsp cornstarch
    3-4 tbsp dark corn syrup
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    3-4 tbsp molasses
    1 1/2-2 c ketchup
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp pepper
    a few strips bacon

Soak beans in water overnight. Simmer in soaking water 1 hour or until tender but not mushy. Do not drain! To beans and cooking water (what is left), add all other ingredients. Pour into a 9x13. Arrange bacon on top of beans. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Stir beans and turn bacon--bake an additional 45 minutes.

Lots of cooking this Memorial Day weekend, but I'll just post one of the hits of the party, a recipe I got from Joe's blog (http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/). These are outrageously good. I am not normally a fan of recipes with a lot going on, but these hit all good points.

Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars (Adapted from Buttercup Bakes at Home via Culinary Concoctions by Peabody)

For the brownie layer

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    11 tablespoons (about 2/3 cup) unsalted butter
    7.5 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) chopped bittersweet chocolate, divided
    1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
    1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 large eggs
    2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla

For the topping

10.5 ounces miniature marshmallows
    9 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) chopped milk chocolate
    1 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan, add unsweetened chocolate, butter and 4.5 ounces (about 3/4 cup) bittersweet chocolate - melt over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from the heat, stir in espresso powder and set aside to cool for 5 minutes

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

In a large bowl , whisk together eggs. Whisk in sugar and vanilla until well combined. Gradually add melted chocolate mixture, stirring until combined and smooth. Add dry ingredients and stir just until combined - fold in remaining 3 ounces (1/2 cup) bittersweet chocolate.

Scoop batter into a 9" x 13" baking pan coated with nonstick spray, smoothing the top with an offset spatula. Place into the oven and bake until a toothpick placed near the corner of the pan comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately scatter the marshmallows evenly over the top. Place pan back into the oven to soften the marshmallows, about 3 more minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add milk chocolate, peanut butter and butter - heat over low heat, stirring, until smooth and combined. Remove from the heat and stir in Rice Krispies until thoroughly coated. Set aside and allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Spread mixture evenly over the marshmallow layer on top of the brownies. Place pan into the refrigerator and chill until firm before cutting.

Makes about 24 bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachside View Post

Hi Susan, it's starting again. How many years can we be lucky? DH is looking into those clear window protectors. He said we can save money on our insurance. Maybe we waited to long. Home depot was out of them yesterday. He said they will make the house brighter during a storm, but I don't know if I want to see things blowing around outside.

I think I have had orzo maybe twice in my life. Thanks, maybe I will try this recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by gobluem82 View Post
    I made 3 new recipes yesterday!!!!

First, for breakfast I made Brown Sugar Scones from King Arthur Flour. They were good, but all agreed that there were other scone recipes that we liked better.

Brown Scones with Walnuts and Golden Raisins

1 1/2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
    1 cup Queen Guinevere Cake Flour or Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
    1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ cup dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    ½ cup (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½" cubes
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    ¾ cup golden raisins
    ¾ cup cold buttermilk; or 2/3 cup plain yogurt mixed with enough milk to yield ¾ cup
    half & half or heavy cream, for brushing
    coarse white sparkling sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.

2) Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon.

3) Work in the butter until small clumps form.

4) Add the walnuts and raisins, and toss to incorporate.

5) Pour the buttermilk into the center of the mixture and stir until the dough just becomes cohesive.

6) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and bring it together into a ball. Roll or pat the dough to 1" thickness.

7) Cut rounds using a 2" biscuit cutter and transfer to a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Gather the remaining scraps and repeat until all the dough is gone. To avoid having to re-roll, pat the dough into a square, and cut square scones.

8) Place the scones in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will help their rise and texture.

9) Brush the scones with the half & half or heavy cream, and sprinkle with the sparkling sugar.

10) Bake the scones until they begin to brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.

Yield: 15 to 18 scones.

For dinner, I made this recipe for fish packets that I printed out from the BB quite some time ago. They were simple but very good. DD is a vegetarian, so I put tofu in her packet. Both kids added extra Sriracha sauce to theirs.

Asian Fish in a Packet--Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
    2 5-6 oz fish fillets or steaks (I used salmon)
    1 c cooked rice
    2 c coarse chopped greens (I used bok choy)
    2 green onions, chopped
    sliced water chestnuts--if you want (I used the sliced bok choy stems)
    1 tsp minced ginger
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tsp sesame oil
    hot sauce (don't eliminate--brings something essential to the party)
    Preheat oven to 450. Make 2 packets--2 12x24 pieces of foil folded in half. Place 1/2 c rice, 1 c greens, scallions, water chestnuts, and then fish. Grate ginger over and garlic (I usually use 1 small clove, per and don't measure the ginger. Smear it over the fish). Top with half of soy and sesame oil. Sprinkle with hot sauce. Fold packet up tightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Finally, for dessert, I made this beautiful cake from Bon Appetit since blackberries were on sale this week. It looked and tasted delicious!

Blackberry Buttermilk Cake Bon Appétit | July 2011

Buttermilk keeps this moist cake light and flavorful. Dust it with powdered sugar as it cools for a sweet, decorative finish.
    Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

ingredients
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan and parchment
    2 1/3 cups cake flour (sifted, then measured) plus more for pan
    2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) fresh blackberries
    1/4 cup plus 1 1/3 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3 large eggs, room temperature
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
    Powdered sugar (for dusting)

Special equipment: Use a 9"–10"-diameter springform pan.
    preparation

Position a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350°. Butter pan; line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Butter parchment. Dust with flour; tap out excess. Arrange berries in a single layer in bottom of pan; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup sugar.

Sift 2 1/3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a medium bowl; set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup butter and remaining 1 1/3 cups sugar in a large bowl at medium-high speed, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl, until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and zest. Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating just until incorporated. Pour batter over berries in pan; smooth top.

Bake until cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 25 minutes. Let cool in pan set on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then run a thin, sharp knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove pan sides. Invert cake onto rack and remove pan bottom; peel off parchment. Dust top generously with powdered sugar and let cool completely.
    Alicia, I am very impressed. That is a lot of baking and cooking for one person. The cake sounds so great. I have blackberries in the freezer, but no cake flour. On the shopping list it goes. Thanks so much.

I know! But they're small, and relatively healthy, with all the fruit and nuts. And they're great to give to neighbors, or put on a cookie tray. They don't look as pretty as some, but they do taste great... and they freeze well, too! You could freeze half the dough, if you wanted.
    It would be quite a temptation having all that cookie dough in the freezer.

Cookieee -- Thursday is ok, as long as we're following a pattern that I can guess. It was good for everyone else, and I didn't want to be a party-pooper.
    Aw, that was so sweet of you. If you all want to change the day we start, it's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    My grandmother died a year ago in June. She was the heart of our family--keeping us all well-fed and well-loved. This is a recipe of hers that I love, but no one has been able to replicate it just like she made it. It's one of those "I add the ingredients until it looks right" recipes that come after years of being made. I am going to keep trying!

Baked Beans
    Marshmallow Crunch Brownie Bars (Adapted from Buttercup Bakes at Home via Culinary Concoctions by Peabody)
    Dear Erin, I am so sorry about your grandmother. At least you have a good starting point.

Those brownies sure sound good. Thank you so much.

I am so glad this game is over. Thank you everyone.