Community Message Boards

Thread: Made two favs "Easy Greek Barley Salad" and "Summer Tomato Salad"....

Made two favs "Easy Greek Barley Salad" and "Summer Tomato Salad"....

Kicked off this warm weather with two summmer salads. I'm always looking for salads/meals that don't heat up the kitchen and take advantage of the summer veggies -- and would love to see any of your favorites.

I made this "Easy Greek Barley Salad" today. Only changes was I left out the onion, and added some cucumber. I had with some leftover shrimp. I do have some barley leftover (that I didn't mix with any of the ingredients) -- can I freeze it or will it mess up the texture? I'm thinking of just keeping in fridge for a day or two and wing a salad.

Here's the recipe:
    Easy Greek Barley Salad

1 cup pearl barley
    3 cups water
    Salt
    1/3 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    2 medium tomatoes, chopped
    1 small green or red bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

In medium saucepan with lid bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt; pour over hot cooked barley. Cool to room temperature. Gently stir in onions, parsley, tomatoes, bell pepper and feta cheese. Serve salad chilled or at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.

From www.barleyfoods.org

And yesterday I made an all time favorite of mine, a big thanks to Elisabeth13 posting a few years back. It's great without the pasta too. Here's the recipe and her comments. The lemon zest is key. I bought a small basil plant rather than a bunch of basil, hope it will last awhile. Ok, I'll be happy with a few weeks. Love the convenience of just pulling off a few leaves.

Summer Tomato Pasta
    I've just dug out this favorite in the last couple weeks as we have fresh basil coming up in the garden, and tomatoes are starting to look good at the co-op...I was hesitant to share on here because I'm sure it's very similar to summer recipes that many of you already make...but I just had this for lunch again today, and it's so darn good, I figured I might as well post it. The lemon zest really makes it stand out, IMO.
    usually splash in a bit more vinegar, I think it will definitely be good with regular-sized tomatoes...I make it that way sometimes, so I can vouch for it!

Summer Tomato Pasta

1 pound penne pasta (or other thick, tubular variety)
    1 pound grape or cherry tomatoes
    10 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    zest and juice from 1 lemon
    15 basil leaves, minced

Quarter and seed tomatoes.
    Slice mozzarella into small chunks.
    Combine olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest and juice, and basil in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and mozzarella.
    While the other ingredients are marinating, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
    Toss pasta with tomato mixture.

makes 7 1-cup servings

Any T&T?

Thanks.

I thought of doing this as a potato salad too:

Apple Pie Pasta Salad

This healthy, fast and easy to make vegetable and fruit salad makes a great side dish, desert, or first course for a family dinner or dinner party.

serves 4

8 oz. macaroni, cooked al dente
    4 oz. baked apples, peeled, cored and diced
    2 oz. golden raisins
    4 oz. Cheddar cheese, finely grated
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 cups mayonnaise
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. black pepper
    Raddichio leaves to serve
    parsley sprigs to garnish

Arrange raddichio leaves on a platter.
    Using a large salad bowl, combine macaroni, apples, golden raisins and cheese. In another bowl, thoroughly mix together cinnamon, mayonnaise, salt and black pepper. Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
    Spoon apple and macaroni salad onto raddichio leaves. Chill for ½ hour and serve cold, garnished with parsley, as a side dish to meat or poultry, or as a main course with crusty rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    I bought a small basil plant rather than a bunch of basil, hope it will last awhile. Ok, I'll be happy with a few weeks. Love the convenience of just pulling off a few leaves.
    I've found that instead of just picking off leaves of the basil plant, if you pinch back the top part of the stem (including leaves) to right above the next nodule where leaves are coming out, two new stems will grow from there. This makes a much bigger bushier plant and you'll have basil for a longer time. Hope I explained that so you know what I mean.

The recipes sound good, too, thanks.

margeslp -- what a different sounding salad (at least to me). I do like all the ingredients called for.

sugaree -- I have only bought basil plants a few times. I will definitely try to pinch back as you said. I tried that in the past, but I think sometimes I just pulled off the leaf. Never got full. Maybe this will be the year.

thanks!

Couscous

I have printed off the recipe of the OP but am going to try it with Israeli Couscous.........I like the bigger type. Thanks.