Community Message Boards

Thread: Salmon - inspire me

Salmon - inspire me

Would like to put salmon on the menu next week and do something different with it than our tried-and-trues.

Any interesting and great salmon recipes out there?

Not sure what your tried and true is...
    I love to do a salmon fillet on the grill...I make a paste of olive oil, cajun seasoning and some brown sugar. Put in on and leave sit for 10 - 15 minutes before putting on grill (I put on Reynolds Wrap) and cook until done. when I take it off I separate the meat from the skin and leave that on the wrap (and throw away the whole mess when it cools)...
    Nothing fancy but we really like it.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

I agree with grilling salmon. It doesn't take much. I have a stockpile of cedar planks in the garage that will last me many years (great sale) I have done fillets and even a whole salmon this way. Always wonderful. Only issue is over eating.

I will give you a T&T from this board for your leftovers. A poster's creation that is dear to many of our heart-healthy hearts:

Salmon Hash

1 serving

Veloute Sauce (from Joy of Cooking, makes lots of extra which can be refrigerated)
    1Tbs Butter
    1Tbs Flour
    1 cup Chicken Stock
    Make roux and cook until lightly colored. Add heated chicken stock and whisk into roux. Season with salt and pepper and cook on low for 15-20 minutes until it coats a spoon.

Hash
    4 oz Salmon
    1 Red Potato, diced
    1 Small Zucchini, diced
    1/4 Cup Onion, chopped
    Large handful of Spinach
    Salt
    Pepper
    2 t Olive oil
    Dill
    Lime Juice

Season salmon with salt, pepper and dill. Sear in olive oil on both sides then put in the oven on warm.

Boil potatoes until fork tender then drain. Saute the onion in olive oil, add potato and zucchini and saute until browned. Meanwhile, lightly wilt the spinach. Flake the salmon and stir into potatoes.

Serve hash on top of spinach and top with sauce. Sprinkle lightly with lime juice

I guess it depends what your tried and true is. I typically like salmon with a hoisin glaze, slow cooked and finished under the broiler, though I've long wanted to try that spinach and mascarpone one..
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

These are all quite good and a bit out of the ordinary. They also lend themselves to prepping ahead - the poached most obviously but the spaghetti squash can be cooked ahead and then assembled right before cooking and the black bean sauce can also be done ahead.

These are also good for people who cook for themselves or just one other as you can just cook one or two if need be. I used to cook the salmon in a foil pouch in the toaster oven.

Steamed Salmon with Black Bean Sauce
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
    Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

Marinade:
    2 tablespoons rice wine or sake
    1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
    2 (1-pound) salmon fillets (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
    Cooking spray
    Sauce:
    1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup rice wine or sake
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons fermented black beans, rinsed, drained, and chopped
    3 tablespoons minced green onions
    2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
    2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    Remaining ingredient:
    2 tablespoons minced green onion tops

Directions:

To prepare the marinade, combine the first 3 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Remove fillets from bag, and discard marinade. Place the fillets, skin sides down, on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.

Preheat oven to 450°.

To prepare sauce, combine broth and next 4 ingredients (broth through cornstarch) in a small bowl. Heat oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beans and the next 4 ingredients (beans through red pepper); stir-fry 10 seconds. Add broth mixture; bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute or until thick.

Pour black bean mixture over fillets; cover pan with foil. Bake at 450° for 17 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Cut the fillets into 6 portions; serve with sauce, and sprinkle with minced onion tops.

Notes:

Salmon isn't traditional in Chinese cooking, but since it's common in the United States and works so beautifully with the black bean sauce, we chose it for this recipe. Steaming accentuates the fresh flavor or the ingredients. The sumptuous sauce is redolent of garlic and ginger; it will highlight the flavor of any seafood, meat, or vegetable dish.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 5 ounces fish, about 1/3 cup sauce, and 1 teaspoon onion tops)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 340 (40% from fat); FAT 15.2g (sat 2.6g, mono 6.8g, poly 4g); PROTEIN 32.6g; CARB 13.5g; FIBER 0.3g; CHOL 99mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 547mg; CALC 23mg;

Orange-spiced Salmon with Spaghetti Squash
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons grated orange rind
    1 teaspoon five-spice powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 cups cooked spaghetti squash
    Cooking spray
    4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned
    4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    Parsley sprigs (optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°.
    Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar mixture and squash; toss gently. Arrange squash in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange salmon on top of squash; brush with mustard. Sprinkle fish with remaining sugar mixture. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.

Nutritional Information:

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 336(40% from fat); FAT 14.8g (sat 2.5g,mono 6.8g,poly 3.2g); PROTEIN 35.7g; CHOLESTEROL 111mg; CALCIUM 46mg; SODIUM 402mg; FIBER 1.7g; IRON 1.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 13g

Cold Poached Salmon with Fennel-pepper Relish

Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

Relish:
    3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    3/4 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1 tablespoon sugar
    3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons capers
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Salmon:
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/3 cup chopped celery
    2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
    1 (12-ounce) bottle dark ale (such as Liberty)
    1 bay leaf
    8 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick), skinned

Directions:

To prepare the relish, combine the first 8 ingredients, stirring well. Cover and chill.
    To prepare salmon, combine 1 cup onion and next 5 ingredients (onion through bay leaf) in a Dutch oven; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Strain liquid through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.

Return liquid to pan; bring to a simmer. Add salmon; cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Remove salmon from pan; chill. Discard cooking liquid. Serve relish over salmon.

Notes:

You can do all of the chopping and cooking for this dish the day before the party. Keep refrigerated until you're ready to serve, top the salmon with the relish juice before you put in on the buffet.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 3 tablespoons relish)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 338(35% from fat); FAT 13.2g (sat 3.1g,mono 5.7g,poly 3.2g); PROTEIN 37.3g; CHOLESTEROL 88mg; CALCIUM 45mg; SODIUM 315mg; FIBER 1.3g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 12.7g

This is my favorite salmon preparation. It feels very fancy and unusual, but is pretty quick to put together. You can skip the wood ears if you don't have them on hand.

Amy

Ingredients

2 dried wood ear mushrooms
    4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned (about 1 inch thick) $
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions $
    3 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
    2 tablespoons black bean sauce
    1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
    1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced

Preparation

Soak mushrooms in hot water 20 minutes or until soft; drain and cut into thin strips.
    Cut 3 (3/4-inch) deep lengthwise slits in each fillet. Combine cornstarch, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over fish. Let stand 10 minutes. Stuff mushroom strips and green onions into slits.
    Place fish in a 9-inch pie plate. Combine sake and the remaining ingredients; pour over fish. Place a bamboo steamer basket in a large wok, and add water to wok to a depth of 1 1/2 inches below basket. Bring the water to a boil. Place pie plate in bottom of steamer basket; cover and cook 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
    Wine note: In this dish, the sweet earthiness of the mushrooms and black bean sauce as well as the flavor of the salmon form a perfect counterpoint to the earthy flavors and silky texture of a good pinot noir. Try Sebastiani pinot noir 2002 (Russian River Valley, California), $23, with its forestlike aromas of earth, dried leaves, and underbrush, and its seductive flavors of dried cherries, mocha, and vanilla. -Karen MacNeil

Martin Yan, Cooking Light
    JULY 2004

We made this from the June '12 issue and it was thoroughly enjoyed (even by Jeff who "says" he doesn't like salmon!).

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hois...0400000121391/
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

This is one of our favorites in the summer with fresh basil and tomatoes from the garden.

Grilled Salmon with Tomatoes & Basil
    EatingWell

This recipe is so beautiful and yet so simple to prepare—it’s perfect for entertaining. You just spread a side of salmon with minced garlic, sprinkle with fresh basil, then layer sliced tomatoes on top. Put it on the grill for 10 minutes and you’re done!

Makes 4 servings | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 whole wild salmon fillet (also called a “side of salmon,” about 1 1/2 pounds; see Tips)
    1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
    2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat grill to medium.

Mash minced garlic and 3/4 teaspoon salt on a cutting board with the side of a chef’s knife or a spoon until a paste forms. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in oil.

Check the salmon for pin bones and remove if necessary (see Tips). Measure out a piece of heavy-duty foil (or use a double layer of regular foil) large enough for the salmon fillet. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Place the salmon skin-side down on the foil and spread the garlic mixture all over it. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup basil. Overlap tomato slices on top and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.

Transfer the salmon on the foil to the grill. Grill until the fish flakes easily, 10 to 12 minutes. Use two large spatulas to slide the salmon from the foil to a serving platter. Serve the salmon sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup basil.

Nutrition
    Per serving : 248 Calories; 10 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 80 mg Cholesterol; 3 g Carbohydrates; 35 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 367 mg Sodium; 799 mg Potassium
    Maria

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    We made this from the June '12 issue and it was thoroughly enjoyed (even by Jeff who "says" he doesn't like salmon!).

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hois...0400000121391/
    Did you use a food processor or chop? I ask because I haven't had much luck making fish burgers or cakes with raw fish and would love to make some.

There are lots of ideas on this salmon thread

http://www.community.cookinglight.co...te=1&p=1658143

Quote Originally Posted by amarante View Post
    Did you use a food processor or chop? I ask because I haven't had much luck making fish burgers or cakes with raw fish and would love to make some.
    I thought about the processor since there were no directions on what to do, but decided on using a knife and was glad I did that. The burgers had great texture, yet still held together well.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

This is one of my favorites. It's ridiculously simple but brings together a lot of great flavors. Foil packets can be made earlier in the day and you just pop in the oven or on the grill. This recipe easily expands to serve a lot of folks and can be taken in an ice chest to a communal dinner or BBQ. I usually serve with orzo or rice and a salad.

Salmon in a Spacesuit (4 servings)

4 salmon filets, 6 oz., skin on
    2 ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
    12 stems asparagus, trimmed to 4 inch length (I use twice this)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lemon, large, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    4 tbsp butter
    8 sprigs fresh dill (I use dried)
    salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 (or grill to medium).
    Cut 4 sheets of foil approximately 1 foot long
    Rinse and dry salmon filets. Place skin side down in center of the foil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
    Place 2 slices tomato on each filet. Add asparagus on top. Evenly distribute the garlic. Place 1 tbsp butter on top and 1 lemon slice and 2 sprigs of dill along the sides of the fish (sprinkle dried dill over top if using).
    Fold sides of the foil to create a pouch and fold over the edges to seal tightly. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until fish flakes (On the grill I put the packets on a grill plate and check after 15 min or so.) You can always cook longer but......
    Open carefully to avoid steam burns and transfer to serving plate. Pour juices from the foil package over the filet.

Hmmmmm, how good are you at "winging it"?!?!

While salmon fillets were finishing their thawing this afternoon and the grill preheating, I:

cored a pineapple, poured the juice from the board into a glass measuring cup and added a thick slice that I had chopped finely

added fish sauce, soy sauce, siracha (sp?), lime juice, brown sugar, and crushed garlic and zapped in the microwave for 30 seconds then whirled it until almost smooth with my hand-blender

brushed this over the fish and grilled, added a tablespoon of olive oil to remaining sauce

also grilled a couple of pineapple slices

served the salmon over spinach (from the garden!) along with chunks of the grilled pineapple, sliced red bell pepper, and sliced sweet onion; drizzled with the slightly-warm sauce

sprinkle liberally with chopped Thai basil and cilantro

DH and I both loved this, and maybe next time I'll not be in a hurry and can actually write down some of the ingredient measurements!
    Last edited by VictoriaL; 05-31-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: forgotten ingredient
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)