Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Watcher/Weight Loss Support June 2012

You can definitely make alcohol part of WW. I used to drink a couple of glasses of wine almost every night. When I started WW, I made myself only drink on the weekends. WW counts a glass of wine (4 oz.) as 4 points. I usually count a glass of wine as 6 points, because no one pours a 4 ounce glass. If you measure it out, it is realy nothing! A light beer, I think, is 4 and regular beer is 5. I also started drinking liquor because a shot (1.5 oz) is 4 points and easy to measure out as opposed to estimating how many oz. in a glass of wine. I make a really delicious drink with a shot of vodka, Fresca (which is calorie-free but doesn't taste like diet) and a splash of grapefruit juice. I count that as 6 points, but you can have a really tall drink that last longer. I usually save my extra 49 weekly points for the weekend and that's how I fit in my drinking. I did have to change my habits somewhat, but after a couple of weeks I got used to it.

Also, talking about points for recipes and foods...there are tons of websites out there, other than WW, that have points plus values for all kinds of foods, restaurants, and recipes. You just have to take some time to search around.

Good luck! Once you get started, WW becomes easier and easier and really does become a lifestyle change.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa'smom View Post
    I usually count a glass of wine as 6 points, because no one pours a 4 ounce glass.
    I've measured and it is not much. I've started to use some old smaller glasses instead of the huge ones I've used over the years. It's really a visual thing and doesn't seem like such a small amount in a smaller glass.

Does anyone use a Fitbit? I have a couple neighbors who have them and love them.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Hi, all!

Well, I'm headed out on a vacation tomorrow, and I'm a bit nervous. I had my first day of not making the best choices, and I feel it! More sluggish, and hungrier! I have to carefully use the rest of my points today & watch it tomorrow.

The talk about wine is timely. I'm not a huge drinker, but I enjoy a glass of wine or two on the weekend now & then. This weekend I saved some Points specifically for a nice glass of wine on Saturday night. But I just never had it, because it didn't seem worth the points. I had a nectarine and a glass of skim milk instead. Wow.

My second weigh in is Sunday. If I make my 5% goal (which is very possible), I've promised myself 2 new bras. The one I have is in need of replacement, and a little support never hurt. What (if any) rewards have you all used for goals?
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

Well, I will have to adjust my wine usage downward. I don't care for hard liquor. the beer I have only after big strenuous hikes, and then it's one good beer. and 5 potato chips.
    I'm not someone who loses control over what I'm eating because of the alcohol but I enjoy with with my dinner. DH does not drink but eats WAY more than I do. He's not that big a guy!

3-4 points for a 4 oz glass is hard to believe... is it something other than the calories? good thought on the smaller glass ...I agree, the visual in a big glass will look skimpy.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie226 View Post
    3-4 points for a 4 oz glass is hard to believe... is it something other than the calories? good thought on the smaller glass ...I agree, the visual in a big glass will look skimpy.
    I think it is the alcohol itself. Carbs and proteins have 4 calories per gram, fats have 9, and alcohol has 7. So it is powerful in more ways than one!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Ok, that is the answer I needed. somehow, with all the work outs I do, I guess I was feeling somehow "entitled" to have more wine as my reward for hard work. there is no other place to place blame for my continued lack of progress.
    If I want to lose I will cut back. Way back. I had one glass with dinner last night. it was likely more than 4 oz but not ridiculous. probably 6 oz. dry white. otherwise I am really pretty locked into a low fat diet without junk. If in a month this doesn't show some results, I will start tracking my food closer. I'm will try the approach Caffe latte used.... for a month.

Going coastal, I have no clue what a Fitbit is.

Too funny about the watermelon... how big was it? that question must be asked these days. DH and I have eaten 2 watermelons this week but they were only slightly bigger than softball size! Love those personal size melons.

This is a Fitbit. There is a 1 min video that explains it pretty well. The people I know who have them think they are wonderful and accurate.

http://www.fitbit.com/product?jadid=...FUOo4Aod6D5sXA

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie226 View Post
    Too funny about the watermelon... how big was it? that question must be asked these days. DH and I have eaten 2 watermelons this week but they were only slightly bigger than softball size! Love those personal size melons.
    I assume that question is for me? It was an average watermelon, about 12" long. I cut it into pieces and keep in covered bowls in the fridge. I really need to buy the smaller ones since nobody else in the house really likes them.

Hope the cutting back on the wine is what works for you Valerie (not that I want you to give up on wine, but just to see if it makes a dent in weight loss).

I'm not familiar with fitbit either. I am familiar with Nike+ that works with your iPod/iPhone and fits in your shoe (or attached to the laces).

This is a favorite salad of mine from Eating Well. It's still good without cilantro if you don't like it. the peanuts add a nice salty touch. a few peanuts add a lot of flavor. It works with all sizes of watermelon and the cuke brings up the volume without calories or much sugar. I use seasoned rice vinegar.
    I make it a little ahead and drain off the liquid so it doesn't flood other things on the plate. melon and cuke give up liquid pretty readily.
    my weight is stable, not gaining. lose a little/gain a little but stay plus/minus 2 - 3 lbs. I want to weigh less. I have been kidding myself that the wine was not the issue.
    the fitbit looks like an upgraded pedometer. stair counting is a nice feature.

Sweet & Tangy Watermelon Salad

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sw...lon_salad.html
    From EatingWell: Summer 2003, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)

Looks like tomato—surprise, it's watermelon.

6 servings, about 2/3 cup each | Active Time: 10 minutes | Total Time: 10 minutes
    Ingredients

2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    2 cups diced seeded watermelon
    2 cups diced cucumber
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, toasted (see Tip) and coarsely chopped

Preparation

Stir together vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl until the sugar almost dissolves. Add watermelon, cucumber and cilantro; toss gently to combine. Just before serving, sprinkle with peanuts.

Nutrition

Per serving : 63 Calories; 3 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 8 g Carbohydrates; 2 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 3 mg Sodium; 164 mg Potassium

1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
    Tips & Notes

Tip: To toast nuts:
    Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.

Valerie thanks for the recipe...I plan on trying it as soon as I have all of the ingredients...well if I pick up a small watermelon I have all of the rest of the ingredients...

I weighed in today and am down 1 pound...if I can keep my mind engaged I can control the food I put in over the next week and should be able to lose the other pound I put on last week...

I am trying to incorporate some abdominal exercises into my routine (well at least make that a routine)...the only other exercise I get is walking and I usually take the long route to wherever I am heading. The other day I decided to move to some music that came on the radio...I moved alright the next day I hurt behind my shoulder blade!! It is starting to go away but at one point I wasn't sure that I wasn't going to have to go see a doctor!! I did burn some calories though so it wasn't all bad! I'll have to not wait so long to turn on some fast moving music where the sound just makes me want to get moving...

Hope everyone has a great week. Looking forward to hearing all about your travels and other at home adventures...the good as well as the bad.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Hi everyone! Back from the wedding. It was fun, beautiful, touching, and totally exhausting. We got home last night, and it took everything inside of me to make myself go to work this morning. DH and I did pretty good eating too. We brought all our breakfast stuff and ate in our room, then made good choices at all but one meal -- Mexican food, my downfall.

My leader always asks for non-scale victories, and boy do I have one. Cracker Barrel has been our go-to breakfast stop for decades when we're traveling, and we didn't have one breakfast out until yesterday morning on our way home. And we did stop at a Cracker Barrel. And we both ordered their "new" whole-grain pancakes with berries and turkey sausage. If you had any idea what we used to order -- at eat -- you'd all be very proud of me. And it was actually delicious. I also helped my sister set up everything to the point of wondering if I could put one foot in front of the other. I know I earned more activity points than I have since joining WW.

Valerie, I posted this once before, but after reading what you wrote about wine, I had to tell it again. I have never, not once, counted alcohol since joining WW. My DH and I have had cocktails every single evening since we got married almost 22 years ago, and that's just a given in our lives. I simply don't count it. And I'm now down 57 pounds -- weigh night is tomorrow. I'm not saying that's what anyone should do, but that's sacred to us and a constant in our lives, and I though I'd see how I did without counting it. And I'm doing well, so until I completely stop losing, I'll continue to have my cocktail (or two), a glass of wine, or a beer if we're outside and it's hot.

Pam, congrats on the loss!

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Denise, WAY TO GO!
    Sounds like you really were/are in control. I haven't been to Cracker Barrell in a long time and while I like the food I never thought it was so good I wanted to eat that many calories. I may have to try your breakfast now...we'll be traveling west in a couple of weeks. I think Mexican could do me in, I love it! I don't go out to a Mexican Restaurant often, in fact usually only when I am visiting Texas and my son & family.

I usually have a glass of wine at night, sometimes it ends up being only about 4 points but usually it is more than that. I will write it down but never have worried if I go over my daily points, of course, very seldom do I use up my extra weekly points.
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Thanks for the accolades Pam! At the risk of sounding corny, I really believe there has been in shift in my perception of my weight and overall health. I was actually excited to see something fairly healthy on Cracker Barrel's breakfast menu, and then to really enjoy it! A bonus! My DH and I talked about it after we were back on the road. We both have such improved health, energy, stamina, etc., that I honestly cannot imagine ever going back. My older sister, who flew in for the wedding from Virginia, even called me the Energizer Bunny one day. Talk about a lift! But my life has truly dramatically changed losing this weight and making exercise a part of my life. I sound like a WW commercial, don't I?

Denise

Today's weigh day, and I will be satisfied if I maintained after five nights in a hotel and most meals out.

Thanks for another perspective on alcohol. If I were able to lose I would not have brought it up, but I'm working pretty hard and that is the last frontier. I am NOT willing to give it up but to lose weight I can trim some corners.

We took a 4 day holiday...very active. first day a 4 mile hike, a short day after a long drive. second day a 5 hour very hard mountain bike. about 13 miles, 1300 feet elevation gain and loss. third day a fairly tough hike, 7 hours round trip. 4th day about 1.5 hour mt bike. I ate very carefully. my alcohol intake (total for 4 days) was two beers, and one bottle of red wine. food intake was modest. (I cook all our food) one day we had some bean dip and corn chips because we were both so hungry after the ride we were ready to chew on upholstery. but I found I wasn't too hungry for dinner after. so I'm hoping this new approach works.

I also love Mexican. It's one of the few times we eat out. Restaurant meals are always a challenge. I've never eaten at a Cracker Barrel but most places give you so much food it's hard to keep perspective as to what's reasonable.

gotta go to yoga, more later.

Thanks for the recipe Valerie. I calculated it's only 2 pts, so I will have to try it. I did buy a smaller watermelon the other day though.

Denise - congrats on making good choices. It just goes to show that there are healthy choices when eating out. I don't avoid eating out of even having take-out; it's just about making good choices and saying no to eating all the food in front of me.

EmptyNestMom- congrats on the loss!

I weigh in on Thurs. and am thrilled with a 1.5 lbs loss today. I didn't expect that much, since it's PMS time and from experience, it's usually a gain or no change. I only ate 5 extra pts for the week, so I know that helped this time. In the past, PMS week would have me eating more than half the extra pts. I'm 2 lbs away from 25 lbs which I would love to hit in 2 weeks, but 3 to 4 is more realistic.

What does everyone here do about needing new clothes? I don't have a variety of sizes in my closet so I had to go shop for new shorts and capris (size 8 )since the ones I have are noticeably big and saggy. I don't work, so I don't need work clothes, thankfully. It's amazing how one smaller size fits noticeably better. I also decided to try on a dress I wore to my sisters wedding in 2003 and it fit (and I was in my 30's then). Little things like this keep me motivated. Hope everyone has a great week!

Valerie, I've said it before, but I'm saying it again. The amount of exercise you do - strenuous exercise at that - is truly awesome! You are my exercise hero! I'm so proud of myself and what I'm doing, but I almost feel like a slacker listening to you! Really, way to go!

Cafe Latte, congratulations on your loss! Especially with PMS! Back in the day, I would probably have been too angry and/or emotional to even weigh in.

I weigh tonight and am really hoping for a loss. But I did spend five nights in a hotel eating out a lot. When it comes to new clothes that fit, I've bought "clearance" or "close-out" or shopped at resale stores since I started losing. I still have a way to go, and I refuse to spend a lot of money on temporary clothes. I've been fortunate to find nice clothes at low prices. And a lot of what I've bought, probably 80% of it, has been online. I don't have a large variety right now, but I work at a community college in a very rural mountain area, and we're supposed to dress business casual, which is pretty easy in this part of Arkansas. And during the summer, we're extremely casual. Today I have on jean capris, a black tee-shirt type top, and Dr. Scholl's sandals. So it's probably easier for me than a lot of people.

Denise

thank you, Denise! I like to work hard especially in outdoor activities. It's all relative .....I know people who make me look like a slacker!
    I've been doing "something" for a long time. one of the keys is finding something you enjoy doing. it seems a lot less like work and more like play. it helps to be consistent so you're not repeatedly sore from "getting back in shape". If you do something most days, the occasional soreness is not a big deal.

I buy things online. I like LL Bean and REI mostly. get casual things at costco. the disadvantage is you can't try anything on. you "guess & eyeball" for size. they are very willing to take things back if they don't fit but this is only reasonable if you shop there regularly.
    Dress in general has gotten seriously casual ... even weddings and funerals I've been to were very very dressed down.

Caffe latte & Pam.... congrats on your losses. good luck on the weigh in Denise. maintaining when traveling and eating out is its own accomplishment.
    I've been getting in my exercise, watching portions. tomorrow will be a week. not ready to weigh yet. I have a doctors appt next week so may wait til then.

I want to share another salad recipe. I've been using this for close to 30 years. I serve this to guests too. it's fairly light and avoids something I hate, creamy salad dressing/mayonnaise. I've posted this on Good Food but not lately. I never get tired of it. I usually use more cabbage/ less dressing. the almonds add a lot so don't leave them out. Can someone calculate WW points for this? this amount would make generous 2-3 servings for us.

Slaw Chez Nous

2 Tb toasted almonds( I like almond chunks)
    2 TB sesame seeds
    2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
    2 scallions diced
    1/2 red pepper sliced into thin

1 TB oil
    1 TB rice vinegar( I used seasoned Marukan brand)
    1 tsp honey or agave
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp salt

Shake dressing ingredients together in a small jar.
    Toast nuts and sesame seeds, cool.
    Toss together shortly before serving. makes 3 cups.

** notes.. I don't always use sesame seeds. Leftover salad gets a little limp by the next day but still is good.... cabbage is tougher than lettuce. It's from Laurel's Kitchen pubished around 1985.

I'm also doing a weight lifting type workout, Cathe's STS program. I did disk 4 yesterday. took about an hour and it's hard.

Valerie,
    Your recipe for salad as written would be:
    5 points for 2 servings
    4 points for 3 servings

Breakout would be:

almonds = 2 points
    sesame seeds -= 3 points
    vegetable oil = 3 points
    honey = 1 point
    vegetables = 0 points

Without the sesame seeds the points would be:
    3 points for 3 servings
    4 points for 2 servings.

The recipe sounds really good
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

It is good! It looks pretty too with the green onions, red peppers and light green cabbage. I don't like a lot of dressing. I make a double-triple amount of dressing, and use what I need as I work my way thru the cabbage. Dressing keeps fine in the frig.

I make it for "bring-a-dish" events because I want to make sure there's salad for me. this holds up. I HATE mayo, seems standard for everyone else. people in general seem to like it and the ingredients are always available.

Pam, thanks for calculating for me.
    I don;t like some unidentified ingredient in bottled salad dressing so always always make my own.

Good morning everyone! I weighed in Thursday night and lost 2 pounds! Of course that was over a two week period of time since I was out of town last week. I was so pleased though. My two-to-three month long holding pattern seems to have finally broken this last month. All total, I've lost 3.4 pounds in four weeks, and I'm very happy with that rate, especially considering that in two weeks I'll be at the one year mark. I've really increased my exercising and I know that has helped me a lot. But I have to say I was proud coming back from a wedding and five days and nights in hotels.

Forgive me everyone, but I have to "speak" to Valerie again! Valerie, I'm taking all of next week off and my DH and I are are going camping again, leaving this Sunday morning. We'll probably return Thursday or Friday, so I'll have a few days at home before going back to work. I've mentioned that my DH builds custom cabinets and furniture for a living, and I just had to tell you that our new little pop-up now has custom cabinets in it with full extension drawers and shelves with sectioned off compartments and self closing hinges! Plus, he built the walls of the drawers high enough so that nothing will tip over or fall out. And he built a custom "step" since our pop-up just has one into it, plus custom "levelers" and finally, a counter-height table to stand beside our propane grill (that attaches to the outside of the pop-up). It's built out of light-weight western red cedar with removable light-weight aluminum legs. And the legs are two-part so the table can become table height. He's something else! He asked me last night if I could think of anything else he could build for our camper. But I'd be lying if I didn't say how great I think all he did is! And we've got two more trips planned: one in August to Beaver's Bend State Park in Oklahoma, and one over the Labor Day holiday at Mount Magazine in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. We'll be "hooking up" at both of them, so that will be a new experience for us. We're aiming toward a two week vacation in May going to Yellowstone.

Denise

Wow, Denise that sounds great! We all need a cabinet builder ! I'm so glad things are working out well for you. It's so much nicer to visit parks etc and not deal with tent camping. I still love tent camping but only in the mountains, quiet and away from people.
    we have gone to yellowstone many times. Be sure to check the road opening schedule. they open roads & campgrounds on a very set schedule. I don't remember the dates well enough to say. if they're open, the campgrounds are full. that is the downside of visiting there, hard to get space to stay inside the park. camping is crowded. we seldom stay inside the park but go for less cramped camping outside. make sure you take maps showing campgrounds outside. we usually do un-fancy forest service ones.
    Yellowstone is my favorite place but a lot of other people think so too. staying outside the park is more driving but we didn't like the crowded conditions. once you get out of the car and walk somewhere you usually lose the crowds. not always. It's a park, what can I say! I love it but it's busy.

Congrats on the 2 lb loss especially under adversity. a plateau broken!
    I am finally getting progress. went out to dinner sat nite and wore jeans I've never been able to wear. I've been watching food & wine intake closely, exercising, and finally some action! I get weighed thursday at a doctor appt and will use that as a start point although I know for sure that I've lost a few lbs because the jeans are proof.

Valerie, all you said about Yellowstone and the crowds has been said to me repeatedly by many of my co-workers. And my DH is not one for crowds. At all. So I'm beginning to re-think Yellowstone, at least for now. As I've said before, we camp in very remote, extremely remote places in the Ouachita Mountains within an hour of where we live. We camp in the Ouachita National Forest, but we rarely see or hear anyone. And that's how Terry's camped his entire life. But we have plenty of time to decide where we're going to go over the next year.

Which means I'll miss another weigh day. I'll go this Thursday, but will miss the next one. We've planned our meals, and we did very well when we camped three weeks ago -- I had a 1.4 pound loss. And we're very active when we're camping. It's a lot of work! So I'm not going to worry too much about how I'll do.

And congrats on getting into those jeans! Talk about a non-scale victory!

Denise

We've seen amazing things in Yellowstone. I don't want to sound discouraging. just be aware ahead of time. With Grand teton/Jackson Hole directly south there's not much of a break for camping there. Other sides are better. Jackson Hole is a city, big and very busy.
    there are FS campgrounds (primitive)outside.. Driving in the park itself is slow.... everyone stops to look, traffic gets blocked. might be "only" fifty miles but it will take a long time.

we've hiked and xc skied thru groups of bison and elk and have seen dozens of wolves, coyotes, foxes.
    one early morning in April driving to a trailhead. I saw a group of wolves take down an elk... every body running, the wolves grabbing the elk and bringing it down. < 100 yards away. I was so excited, it went so fast... we never even touched a camera. No one else was there....
    we've seen black bears, grizzilies & cubs, elk, pronghorns, bison,moose, otters, little critters like prairie dogs, sandhill cranes, bluebirds, osprey. one year on my birthday we hiked up a ridge and found dozens of huge, shed elk antlers. at the top of the ridge was herd of bighorns. we sat down and they came closer and grazed all around us. seen many bighorns there! In spring there are all the babies too! we did the obligatory Old Faithful/geyser basins... fascinating but always very busy.
    getting out and hiking some trails will usually get you alone pretty quickly. You can tell I LOVE it but I hate the camping. Watching critters is usually best in the morning. we carry bear spray and bear bells.

Just do what you did last time camping ... you lost. so much to do, food seems more like 'fuel" to me when I'm busy outdoors. .

It has been a fun week, but that means it has been a difficult week for weight loss! I weighed in for the second time last Tues and was down 1.4 pounds, making a total so far of just under 5 lb. Good start, I thought for just 2 weeks. But since last Tuesday we had a birthday party, neighbors invited us for a cookout, The Yacht Club had a reception for the regatta, we had neighbors over for a pizza party, our golf group met for golf and dinner afterwards, and we went to eat one night at my sisters. Of course there is lots of food everywhere - not to mention wine and margaritas. So, I have decided not to go weigh in tonight. I could probably squeeze it in, but we have my husbands Rotary dinner to go to at 6 tonight. From my scale, I am pretty sure I maintained and did not gain, but I am going to be much more diligent this week. I hope.. 4th of July is coming up!

Chiming in with what I hope is a combination of support and inspiration.

I've done the WW programs since 1971, the year my daughter was born. Yes, I experienced liver and bread sliced horizontally and home made ketchup. I have been wildly successful and slipped right back into misery several times over. This time will be the FINAL TIME- or I'll keep waging the war until I lay it all down. When I do, let's just hope I'm finally at Life Time.

Anyways, I started up again in Febraury as I entered retirement. This week, I got my 15 # star. Woohoo!. I do love PP except for the 24 points per bottle of wine. I am working out 5 days a week between weights, cardio, two days of water aerobics and at least hopefully, once a week water volleyball.

I had to make some concessions with wine because, yes it slows my weight loss down and yes, there is an issue that all the experts say it harms me. However- excuse me- 3 glasses a week? Have you tasted some of the wine I've tasted? A perfect Pinot Noir with some fresh cherries? A big fat Zinfandel with the absolute perfect piece of dark chocolate? A crisp St. Supery Rose with Jerk Chicken? Sorry- 3 glasses won't do it. So the compromise is weekends only, or dinner out. Slow weight loss, relatively steady weight loss. Happy Patt. I am willing to add work out time as the points allowance goes down. I got a long way to go. I've got peasant genes that are afraid the famine is just around the corner. I hope there's room for me on this thread.

For all of you on the same journey- we're doing it because we're worth it. We just may as well have some fun along the way.

Patt
    With all of our running and all of our cunning, If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane...
    "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitude" Jimmy Buffet

Welcome Patt... we are a flexible group with people coming and going as time allows. congats on 15#!

I'll take responsibility this time of starting a new thread for July, so come on over and joint us there.