Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone have a T&T for baked falafel?

Anyone have a T&T for baked falafel?

I was at Whole Foods yesterday and they were sampling baked falafel with a tangy slaw. I had a super small sample, so I really couldn't tell how they tasted. I might give the recipe a try -- it has pretty basic ingredients and I have all on hand.

I like falafel but never made them at home. I don't want to go the frying in lots of oil route, so I was wondering if anyone had a T&T for baked falafel. I'm wondering if baked falafel tastes like little hockey pucks. Or, maybe lots and lots of hummus, tahini, veggies etc fixes that.

Thanks.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 06-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Only the one on the back of the falafel mix box (I think it's Near East brand???). It's not as crispy-crunchy as the deep-fried version from my favorite Lebanese restaurant, but not bad at all and a lot healthier. Stuffed into a pita half with hummus and veggies like diced tomatoes and cukes or grilled red bell peppers and onions, with a splash of plain yogurt, it's all good. If you like things on the spicy side, stir a little harissa into the hummus or even a little red curry paste for some fusion action.

Thanks SoupandStew --- I've never made falafel at home, whether from a box or from scratch. Yet.

I have a few great restaurants near me that are fantastic, but baked falafel would be a great veggie dinner to make at home.

If I make the WF recipe, I'll come back and review. It only calls for 7 ingredients, and three of those are spices. So certainly not risking lots if I don't like them.

Thanks.

Felafel
    (4 servings)
    4 c Cooked chickpeas or 2 c Soaked 1.5 hours,
    -boiled until very soft
    3 Cloves garlic (crushed) or more to taste
    1/2 c Finely minced scallions
    ½ cup minced parsley
    1/2 ts Ground cumin
    1/2 ts ground coriander
    ½ t. cinnamon
    3 tb Flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    crushed red pepper to taste
    Dash black pepper
    1 1/2 ts Salt
    sesame seeds
    olive oil
    Instructions

Drizzle olive oil evenly in shallow baking dish. Preheat oven to 350.

Mash chickpeas well (make sure they are cooked well enough to be mashable). Combine with other ingredients. Let the paste rest for 1/2 hour at least. Dust hands with flour. Take walnut-size lumps and make round shapes 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Dust in flour. Let them rest for 15 minutes longer, Press sesame seeds on top.
    Place in preheated baking dish. Brush lightly qith olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.

Yogurt/tahini sauce:

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    3 tablespoons tahini paste
    1/2 teaspoon very finely minced garlic
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    Water
    Salt and pepper to taste
    PREPARATION:
    Mix together the yogurt, tahini paste, garlic, and lemon juice. Thin out with water to make a smooth medium thick sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Relish:
    1 ripe tomato, minced
    1/4 cup minced cucumber
    1/4 cup minced green pepper
    1/2 serrano chile, seeded and minced (I used crushed red pepper to taste)
    1 tablespoon minced parsley
    1 tablespoon minced cilantro
    red pepper or Tabasco to taste
    generous squeeze lemon juice
    Combine all ingredients and serve

I made these last night and they were great!

My whole family ate these. Which, given my children and DF, means they had to be good. I skipped the tahini (which is hard to find) and served with tzatziki, one of my kids' favorites. I had leftovers for breakfast today.

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/06...-falafel-pita/
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

That looks yummy but what are small pitas - how big? I usually make my own since I can't find fresh ones here - 3 inches? 4 inches? or bigger?
    Anne

Margeslp -- Thanks for the recipe.

AvrilH -- Thanks. That pic looks great.

Anne -- I'd guess a small pita is 5 inches. I buy the larger size since you can fill them more. Ha. Anne, homemade pita, that sounds fantastic. I used to go to a great place that served homemade pita. Loved it with feta, hummus, israeli salad and ...... Yum.

I'm planning to make falafel in the next few days. I'd better do it soon before I polish off the hummus in my fridge.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Margeslp -- Thanks for the recipe.
    Thanks again everyone!
    My recipe can be lightened by spraying with Pam.
    With the ingredients I use the felafel balls are a pretty, pretty green. My sister commented that my recipe rivaled the vendor carts in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    That looks yummy but what are small pitas - how big? I usually make my own since I can't find fresh ones here - 3 inches? 4 inches? or bigger?
    Do you make the kind with pockets or the ones that are flatbread? If it's the flatbread type, can you share your recipe for homemade pitas? We used to be able to find great ones here, but recently haven't been able to get them.

I keep thinking I need to experiment and make some.
    ______

Elizabeth

Walking Towards Wellness, my personal challenge to walk 10,000 steps per day in 2014 while living with and managing a chronic illness. Walk with me.

They mostly make pockets but sometimes I end up with a couple flat ones. I think the flat ones happen when I roll the pitas too thin. I'll try and remember to grab the recipe tonight.
    Anne

I made a recipe for Baked Falafel with Tangy Slaw (from a recipe flyer from Whole Foods).

I have a few falafels left, I have no idea how they would freeze -- but might just toss them in the freezer.

The falafels cost me less than $2.00 to make, and took only minutes to pull together before baking so talk about inexpensive.

I did tweak the recipe based on what I had on hand (only had garlic powder so cut way back, instead of the herb blend in the recipe, added some parsley etc). I've never made a more "elaborate" recipe, so no comparison. But I do think they need things like hummus, tahini, veggies, if you get my drift.

But after serving them with some awesome hummus, and the slaw.... couldn't really tell much.

Baked Falafel
    1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    3 table flour
    3 teap salt-free garlic pepper herb spice blend
    1 teasp ground cumin
    1 teasp baking powder
    1/2 teasp salt

In processor or blender, combine all ingredients and puree until well mixed. Add small amt of water if mixture is too dry.

Roll mixture into small balls and drop them on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for about 20 min or until golden. Let cool and serve. (huh, I didn't let them cool completely)

Tangy Slaw (I halved recipe but here's the whole recipe). I used shredded cabbage (fromt a bag) and shredded carrots.

1/2 cup sliced red onion (I omitted)
    1/2 cup veg oil (I cut back)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    3 table apple cider vinegar
    1 table sugar
    1 1/2 teasp celery seed
    1 head red cabbage, sliced thinly
    2 cups coarsely grated carrots (about 3 large)

Whisk first 6 ingredients together, then add carrots and cabbage. let sit for 1-2 hr, stirring a few times.

Serve falafel with slaw and tahini on a pita, tortilla, or your favorite bread.