Community Message Boards

Thread: Yogurt Marinated Chicken

Yogurt Marinated Chicken

I had this tonight and I thought it was really good. I had some leftover yogurt so I used this marinade. I winged the amounts since I cut back the recipe. I broiled the chicken and marinated overnight.

The recipe is from Recipezaar but unfortunately I didn't note who posted.

Here's the recipe and the OP's comments:

Yogurt Marinated Chicken Recipezaar

This is really good, and really easy. The yogurt mixture really sticks to the chicken and makes it tasty and tender. Keep in mind it has to marinate for at least 8 hours.

• 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    • 3 cloves minced garlic
    • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon canola oil
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 4-6 boneless chicken breasts
    Directions
    Combine first nine ingredients,and pour into a large ziploc bag.
    Add the chicken to the bag, seal, and turn bag to coat chicken with mixture.
    Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
    I think overnight is best.
    You can grill over indirect medium heat until done.

Found on recipezaar

I did an Indian version (chicken Masala) that was OUTSTANDING!
    Yogurt sure will keep meat moist...YUM!
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

YIKES! This sounds tangy and also uses things we usually keep on hand. Thanks Applecrisp! (I might toss in a bit of chopped cilantro since I like that on everything.) I haven't broiled anything in years. Sounds easy. (Or maybe hubby will fire up the grill.) I've got to try this, either way.

Catbatty --

If you try marinating with yogurt, I hope you like it. As Wallycat mentioned, I think it helps keep the chicken moist. I have a tendency to dry it out.

I've tried different variations --- using different spices.

I didn't find it tangy, just gavet the chicken nice flavor and not dried out. Ironically, I made it since I had some non-fat plain yogurt that I wanted to use it up. I eat plain yogurt all the time, but strangely, sometimes I'm just find it a bit too acidic in the morning.

Made this for dinner yesterday and the chicken was very moist with a really nice flavour to it.

I marinated it during the day for about 7 hours then grilled it.

I added some chopped fresh basil, oregeno and parsley to the marinade as I had some harvested from the garden that I wanted to use up.

This is a definate repeater here.

Ctr264 ---

Glad to read that you enjoyed it. I really should make it more often, almost always have yogurt on hand.

I've also made an Asian variation that had yogurt, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil etc (thanks to Canice for posting the Asian take).

I've added different spices to the yogurt too.

Try oregano, garlic and lemon juice and serve with tzaziki (sp?) sauce.

Or yogurt and curry powder or red curry paste.

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    I did an Indian version (chicken Masala) that was OUTSTANDING!
    Yogurt sure will keep meat moist...YUM!
    Would you please share the recipe? I have chicken legs thawing in the refrigerator.
    newcook

I made this for the CGOTW and loved it! It definitely was better after marinating overnight, so will continue to do that. Thanks for sharing this, applecrisp - I look forward to making it again
    Exploring the restaurants in my backyard and cooking up a storm at MassachusEATS!
    http://massachuseats.com/

Used the recipe for "inspiration." I mixed the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil with 2 tsp of a Tuscan Seasoning blend I bought at Costco. It was very tender and good!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

So good to read that others are enjoying the recipe, and using it as a springboard.

I have some extra yogurt on hand, so will be making it again. I'll be trying Celeste's suggestion of...."Try oregano, garlic and lemon juice and serve with tzaziki (sp?) sauce." Thanks for the idea -- love that flavor profile.

Tonight is a baked yogurt-marinated chicken breast, seasoned with Penzey's Muskego Ave. Chicken & Fish Seasoning, sliced over a bed of spinach, tomato wedges, julienned yellow bell pepper, and some leftover chickpeas. I made a basic dressing with a new French vinegar I found, infused with honey, cinnamon and cardamon. Will someone please stop me before I vinegar again?